Support ratings

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

96 replies

Userlevel 2
Add me to the list requesting this. More sophisticated playlist management and generation seems to be an increasing theme in this part of the forum at the moment!

fleckers
Userlevel 2
+1 !
A rating scheme would be awesome!!
Userlevel 2
+1 im waiting a long time for this feature...
Userlevel 2
+1

I agree - this is a basic feature which should have been implemented a long time ago.

I am also missing the possibility to search by album year - it would be greatly appreciated!!

As this thread is more than 4 years old by now one could be a bit worried whether these requests will be fulfilled by the Sonos guys?!?? :rolleyes:
As this thread is more than 4 years old by now one could be a bit worried whether these requests will be fulfilled by the Sonos guys?!?? :rolleyes:

Not to downplay this or other similar requests (please keep them coming so Sonos knows how many people want them) I do want to remind everyone that currently there is ONE thing mainly keeping a couple popular requests from happening. Sonos does NOT write to your system PERIOD. to rate songs would require you telling a sonos controller to store a value in the song file you were playing. I personally have no problem with this (and I am guessing many of you agree) but there are plenty of reasons as I understand it as to why Sonos has decided NOT to write to the system. Until that underlying fact is changed, these types of requests just cannot be done.
Userlevel 2
Badge
+1

I agree that sonos should not be writing to the library but should be easy enough to implement in the index structure and have it update when you library updates.. a plug in for iTunes would rock to so the ratings would sync back and forth..
Userlevel 2
a very popular and very old request!

anyway: +1 for rating from the controller.
And for those who don't want that Sonos write into the files, a additional option to turn this function off.

It is necessary to go with the time (and the customer wishes) to protect a fanstastic product on the market ;)

Until that underlying fact is changed, these types of requests just cannot be done.
It would be helpful if someone from Sonos write this into a thread.

There are so many good ideas in this forum, I wish that the Sonos stuff will comment the requests with a short status like "thinking about it", "comes in the future", or "can/will not be done".
a very popular and very old request!

anyway: +1 for rating from the controller.
And for those who don't want that Sonos write into the files, a additional option to turn this function off.

It is necessary to go with the time (and the customer wishes) to protect a fanstastic product on the market ;)

It would be helpful if someone from Sonos write this into a thread.

There are so many good ideas in this forum, I wish that the Sonos stuff will comment the requests with a short status like "thinking about it", "comes in the future", or "can/will not be done".

As much as some would like, it's plain to see that Sonos does not ever, and probably will not ever, publish a road map for future development. It's probably best to just accept this and move on. I know I have.
Userlevel 2
A roadmap and a short feedback to suggestions are very different 😉
A roadmap and a short feedback to suggestions are very different ;)

Splitting hairs with semantical arguments will only frustrate you. Call it anything you want to call it, Sonos never states anything about current or future development. Period. Personally, I've accepted this fact and have moved on.
although you do have to say, announcing a product a bit earlier than its actually available (the new S5) is a step in the right direction. though... i think its STILL not available to buy...
Userlevel 2
I would love a feature like this...
Especially if the interface of the desktop controller could be upgraded also!:)

Me too for the ratings!!!

..plus it would be great to assing ratings to the Album and Artist as well via the controller.

I would love the ability to (at minimum) have the Sonos system *READ* the 5-star rating system (metatag set via any other application) for the song, and would love for you to also *WRITE* that one tag as well. Allows me to on-the-fly-while-listening-via-the-Sonos rate that song.

Mike
Userlevel 2
I would love this... When I'm listening to a track I love I will rate it 5. I can then create a playlist with all my 5 rated tracks (all the tracks I love).

Nice and simple and very effective!
Userlevel 2
+1: Enable disable read-only mode / write mode
+1: Rating 0-5* from controller
+1: Dynamic playlists based on any meta tags
+1: Storing changes within the actual music files
- 1: Having multiple users do personal ratings
- 1: having proprietary meta tag formats

Overall: BIG BIG +1
Userlevel 2
Badge
+1 of course. on my wish list since I started the controller the first time. I actually searched the manual/forum wondering: how do I rate my music? how do I add this song to a playlist ? and was confused as to why it was not possible.

It's 'nice' to not write to shares but I'm sure whoever is concerned about this is actually not updating the metadata by hands... so there is always a chance to mess up your library. That's why we invented backup. I have a mirrored NAS + external backup, it cost me $600 but counting the time I spent on this, it's worth it.

Now if Sonos wants to keep the secure mentality, fine... then sell a new model with an SSD in it that keep tracks of the rating/usage info. One should suffice to enable the feature and make sure to get an import/export from the desktop controller just in case it needs replacement.
in general, i like the idea you propose of having a separate place to keep track of "changes" made BY the sonos system. Whether its an actual sonos box or whether its a text file stored in a location on whatever shares you have indexed or whatever, I don't much care. I do think having a proprietary way of storing these things will run afoul of the same people who hate how iTunes stores things so oddly...but it certainly would keep Sonos from actually changing any of the music files themselves...which I believe is one of the main reasons they are so anti-write.
Userlevel 2
+1 for display of rating meta-data, please!

The ability to rate music is the #1 absolute best feature of iTunes and the reason I still plug a mac line-out into my sonos box instead of using your very nice controller.

When a music collection reaches thousands and thousands of songs, once can't keep track of exactly which tracks are better than others... so you need to be able to see that information while you are browsing and (ideally) at your fingertips when you want to just play good stuff.
Userlevel 2
Can we "star" rate tracks from controller as in iTunes and if not I would request this option. And then have the option to play all in different rated categories and possibly filter such as "all 3 star from genre "x".? Via controllers
Userlevel 2
I also think that rating ability is needed.
I also believe that ability to delete tracks using DC on PC (at least) should be there.
If I am using my IPhone Controller app or PC controller app and want to delete permanently or from library a particular track I think it would be very nice and fairly easy to implement at least on PC controller to do so.
Userlevel 2
+1 to all of Carlton Bale's suggestions for Sonos support of ratings.

Best regards
Sybrandt.
Userlevel 2
I have been wanting this feature for a while. I am sure the details can be nitpicketed, but having "smart" playlists based on ratings and beinging able to rate from the controllers would be great.
Badge
+1 for ratings.
Userlevel 2
It would be fine to find easily my favorites albums
Userlevel 2
+1: for smart playlist
+1: Rating 0-5* from controller
+1: see number of plays per song

I would love to see how many time I played a song
Userlevel 2
mysteryliner

If you just want to see the stats for your music habits then you should get a last.fm account and integrate it with your Sonos.

Last.fm will track everything you're listening to (this includes your own music not just stuff streamed from last.fm) and provides statistics in your account on the last.fm website. Your account can be made private so that the whole world doesn't know what you're listening to.

You can see the Top Albums, Artists or Tracks over various periods (7 days, 6 months, etc, etc).

That said. Ratings and play counts handled by Sonos natively would be a great feature. Fingers crossed it'll happen in some release soon.