Support ratings

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

96 replies

Userlevel 2
Id like to see the ratings displayed.
I have reservations about the controller being able to update the ratings. As much as I'd like that functionality, I wouldnt want to have my music share as writable.
Badge +3
These are the two (best) features of iTunes and the iPod that keep me those platforms.

The ability to rate a song (from ITunes) or from the iPod is phenomenal. When coupled with SmartPlaylist that live-update it's unbeatable. I have one playlist that I NEVER have to touch called Favorites. EVERY song that I rate as 5 stars gets added automatically.

Would love to see support for these on Sonos playlists.
ratings is a big "ask-for" item around. i know what you mean with the rating plus updating playlist option...great combo.

Sonos can do half of what you are asking......kind of.

Sonos imports (very well) any outside playlists, and it does a great job of importing itunes lists...even the live ones. however, as you can guess, it updates it "as of the second that you update the sonos" so if your live list changes often, sonos would need to update often.

That means some lists are fine. For example, if you want to create a list of say... the 1st track of every album (not sure why, but use this for example) you can set a rule in itunes to make the list, then update your sonos and there it is. If you add a couple new albums to itunes...and thus the list would change, you would need to update your sonos (reindex is what i mean when i say this...only takes a few seconds other than if you made major changes) but you would have to update it anyways because you had added new music.

I have plenty of "auto" lists that work great with the sonos. however, things like what you are saying with the ratings would actually require you to hear the song you like...go to itunes and rate it...and then at some point update your sonos to pick up your updated "favorites" list. still works...just not all from the palm of your hand.
mark_anderson_us,

I moved the post, join the chorus.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
I support the proposition to have Sonos read track rating from the music file metadata as long as the rating is actually part of the music file metadata (proprietary rating systems may certainly be omitted).

I also support those who want to change (edit) the track rating--and store the rating in the music file metadata so it can be utilised when playing on a PC, iPod or whatever.

I also support extended edit-capabilities so that misspellings (e.g. track/album/artist name), misclassification (typically genre) and other track metadata can be corrected on-the-fly as I discover them. Although the "read-only" concept makes you feel safe, it is also one of the major limitations to the Sonos--I bought my Sonos to enjoy my music independent of a computer, and the experience would only improve if I don't need a computer for everything that goes beyond simple music playback...

Finally, I applaud Aaron's suggestion (and design) for rating-based queue-management (configurable to be activated or not).

Regards,
Asbjørn
Userlevel 2
I throw my hat into the ring of support for song ratings (showing on the controller, rating from the controller, and playlists based on ratings).

Here is where I would rank it compared to some other proposed features I support:

1) Cross Fading between songs
2) Song Ratings
3) Support for Last.fm
Userlevel 2
I support the proposition to have Sonos read track rating from the music file metadata as long as the rating is actually part of the music file metadata (proprietary rating systems may certainly be omitted).

I also support those who want to change (edit) the track rating--and store the rating in the music file metadata so it can be utilised when playing on a PC, iPod or whatever.

I also support extended edit-capabilities so that misspellings (e.g. track/album/artist name), misclassification (typically genre) and other track metadata can be corrected on-the-fly as I discover them. Although the "read-only" concept makes you feel safe, it is also one of the major limitations to the Sonos--I bought my Sonos to enjoy my music independent of a computer, and the experience would only improve if I don't need a computer for everything that goes beyond simple music playback...

Finally, I applaud Aaron's suggestion (and design) for rating-based queue-management (configurable to be activated or not).

Regards,
Asbjørn

NO!!!!

You might realise by now, that I do NOT support this feature request.

Please Sonos, if you ever consider this PLEASE do not change your fundamental read only principle, or at least make it a configurable option with a default setting of OFF!

I have spents hours, days, months, sorting out my ID3 tags, and I really really do not want Sonos or anything else going and updating them for me :-)

d2k
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
NO!!!!

You might realise by now, that I do NOT support this feature request.

Please Sonos, if you ever consider this PLEASE do not change your fundamental read only principle, or at least make it a configurable option with a default setting of OFF!

I have spents hours, days, months, sorting out my ID3 tags, and I really really do not want Sonos or anything else going and updating them for me :-)

d2k

I certainly understand your concern. I spend some time going through tags myself, and definitely do not want my Sonos player to change them UNLESS I explicitly edit the metadata myself. I do not want my Sonos to update metadata through the internet. However, an option to "Enable manual music rating" should save the ratings as track metadata. Similarly should an option to "Enable manual metadata editing" store the updates as track metadata so that it can be displayed next time the track plays. In my opinion, a function for rating music (or editing metadata in general) has no value unless the data can be utilised directly.

Having said all this, I see a potential problem at parties... I usually trust the people I invite to my place, but Murphy's law indicates that at some point, some guest(s) will render some metadata completely invalid. Consequently, metadata edit should be disabled in "Simple Mode"...
Userlevel 2
I could support this idea if the ratings info was held in meta data that was not part of the mp3 itself. Is this possible?

In principle, I like the idea of ratings, but not at the expense of modifications to my carefully tagged media files :-)

d2k
Userlevel 2
Over time Sonos has shown a respect for requests supported by forum members, so I'm adding my vote here for support of ratings as well. I keep tracks that aren't my favorites because they are part of an album but I would love to play only those that I have "top rated".
Userlevel 2
I would like this feature - I'm not bothered too much about being able to rate from the controller (read-only vs. write == can of worms) but I would really like it if the sonos knew about existing rating tags and (in the absence of dynamic playlists) had a few built in "5* rated" type playlists.
How about ratings for multiple users? (...I might rate a track different to my wife.)

For any one track it would be nice to write/display a rating for a particular user.
Userlevel 2
Ratings and dynamic playlists are very important to me. This and scrobbling/last.fm are the only things stopping me from using sonos exclusively.

I don't mind Sonos writing to my share, but would prefer a settings option to restrict it in some way.

Rating through the Controller is also important.

Cheers,

Phil
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
My preferences:
  • Configurable - enable/disable (for parties, etc)
  • Write to standard tags (not a separate store where my edits will be unusable from media player/winamp/and so on)
  • Ability to edit tags would rock - especially genre tags (which I think makes alot of sense in conjunction with ratings)
  • Otherwise: Simple ratings will do

It took me less than a week of proper sonos usage to want this.
Userlevel 2
I would like to be able to rate my music via the Sonos Controller. You know, 1 star to 5 stars.
Userlevel 2
Badge
+1

Count me in
Userlevel 2
+1.

Cheers and beers,

Garmpe
Userlevel 2
+1

Me too. It's a must ahve feature to handle big music collections.
Userlevel 2
+1

Count me in...
Userlevel 2
Thats about it!
Userlevel 2
Count me in.
Userlevel 2
Second after Alarm Clock functions (which I am so happy to see in version 2 and to see so very well implemented) would be a simple "Rate It" function. If I have a big queue and am listening in shuffle play mode, I frequently encounter tracks in my collection that I wish were not and/or tracks I forgot I had that I would like to hear more often. In either event, it would be great if I could pick up the controller and hit a "Rate It" button and scroll through ratings to save in the track meta-data for use elsewhere.

For example:

Do not play ever again.

And of course I'd like to be able to have automatic playlists of "favorites" e.g. tracks rated with 4 or 5 stars. And the ability to configure shuffle to play unrated music at random, highly rated music slightly more often and poorly rated music less often:

Positive bias for:

Neutral bias for:
no rating

Negative bias for:

But, of course, I would want to control this behavior by simply turning it on or off according to my whim.

Thanks for listening and kind regards,

Aaron Kirsten

There are so many *OLD* requests for more sophisticated favorites handling - please implement this.

Thanks very much
Userlevel 2
There are so many *OLD* requests for more sophisticated favorites handling - please implement this.

Thanks very much

am a long time ipod user, a lastfm fan and have recently migrated from soundbridge to sonos. I love my Sonos and use it exclusively to play music at home... usually in 3 rooms at the same time. Love it!

The inability to mark favourites (and bans) from the controller is very frustrating. I often make broad musical selections as I like to be surprised and find tracks I forgot I had.

At the moment, when I hear a song I like, I scribble down on a piece of paper in order to mark it on my PC later. That just doesn't fit with the beauty of the sonos system!

Creating playlists from favourites is already there, although a bit awkard, by doing so in itunes first, but for marking I am limited to pen and paper.

Even if you offered a simle way to 'mark' a track, so in the evening you have a list of tracks that need to be banned/rated or have their tags fixed etc, this would help a lot.

Thanks! Charlie
Userlevel 2
Hi all,

+1

Just wanted to add my support to this feature... the one and only feature I think Sonos is missing at this point!!!

Sonos - PLEASE implement read and write of rating tags via the controller, including playlist creation which is based on ratings!
Userlevel 2
I would like to see the feature that you can use the rating number as a grade.
Like I want to hear every song that I said is worth a 4 or higher (on a scale of 1-5). So not just the 4s but also the 5s.