Support high resolution files

Userlevel 2
I purchase lots of high res FLAC files from hdtracks.com, but I can't play them on SONOS as high res FLAC files are not supported. Please add support for high res FLAC files: Reference: https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/80/kw/Music+Formats#var_f

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

815 replies

Userlevel 1
This is an unfortunate - and I'd suggest misdirected - decision on the part of Sonos' product manager(s). While I understand that only a small segment of Sonos customers may understand or care about the growing supply of high-res source material, that segment is also the most passionate about their music. Consequently they're the most likely to invest in new products - say, a high-res add-on or replacement for my current CONNECT - and also most likely to influence others & promote the Sonos brand. I believe there's a great opportunity to capture the market of music/audio enthusiasts who care about quality but can't afford the $10K+ entry price of a Sooloos or comparable system. So please reconsider your response. Sonos promotes itself as a group of true music lovers and audiophiles... so don't contradict your own branding by ignoring the evolution of quality sound.
Userlevel 1
Please reconsider and look at adding support for 24bit FLAC files in the next generation of SONOS devices.
Userlevel 2
I am well aware of that position, regardless, I have paid for music in that format, and I want Sonos to play it in whatever quality possible on EXISTING equipment. I am not asking you to approve of that format, the same way I'm not asking you to approve of my taste in music 😉
Userlevel 2
The whole point is that I should not have to convert my collection to a format just so that Sonos can play it, especially when my other players have no problem with these files. This is not about audio quality, not about new hardware, this is about audio format compatibility, and using an updated FLAC code library.
Userlevel 2
Please reconsider your want of 192/24 downloads, your ears will hear nothing but extra modulation noise that is not part of what was recorded and building hardware and speakers to cope well with ultrasonic frequencies will lead to otherwise unnecessary compromises in the actual audible range: http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html I don't want more expensive equipment that makes compromises for something that no human can hear.
Userlevel 2
Let me reiterate that I'm not asking Sonos to introduce new hardware capable of higher bitrates or higher resolution DAC's, I just want them to play these files on the existing equipment. As you point out yourself, the files can be converted "without any harmful intermodulation", and in the same way they can be converted on-the-fly and played without me having to keep separate copies just for Sonos.
Having seen a sonos system for the first time last week when my brother got 2 play 3's 2 play 5's ipod doc and a sub I was pretty impressed with the setup and Ipad control. I would by a Sonos connect tomorrow for my existing setup using the digital output into my Cyrus Dac/Amp. I have just gone on the the sonos site for the first time a few hours ago to find what they can do for me. Trouble is I have a lot of 24bit flac on my pc so for this reason alone I would not get consider going down the sonos route. So Sonos miss out on £270 odd quid due to me not buying - not true. No doubt I would slowly add sonos units over a period of time when I could afford it - a 3 for the kitchen maybe a 3 in the bedroom, then maybe a 5 and a sub. before you know it the figure grows to a few grand of purchases. So Sonos, you are really missing a trick here especially with many audiophiles who spend $$$ on their systems. Sure 24bit flac might no be that much better in quality (as some suggest) but it stops people like me buying their first bit of sonos kit , stopping any future addons. I guess I will stick to my HTPC, TV and Amp for now. I would really seriously consider adding 24bit support for your systems before your competitors begin to take business away from you.
I have been buying music from the website HDtracks.com. I am unhappy to now realise that sonos's promise of all music available everywhere wirelessly, falls short. The system on the pc will not even recognise the existence of my 96/24 tracks (flac or wav). Worse still, I have some 5.1 at the same high bitrate. These also are not recognised. When will sonos include support for streaming hidef audio to my sonos connect (which I have connected via spdif to my amp)? If there is insufficient bandwidth across the optical, will sonos eventually bring out a connect with hdmi for multichannel connectivity to amps?

I am willing to repurchase in order to allow hi def playback. This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Hi def and surround sound track support *please*!.
Userlevel 1
I wish Sonos would not ignore this request. Downsampling hires is not straight forward and the quality of the downsampled version depends heavily on the sample rate converter used. Whilst this is not noticeable on sonos speakers it can be on systems connected to a high end dac. Whilst I can envisage streaming hires to multiple devices is problematic is there not a way for now to just allow the Connect to pass high res via its digital output?
You do realise the author of the WSJ article has been misled, and even admits it in his article (although he doesn't actually realise it) It is a classic mistake: Michael Hsu was comparing copies mastered for digital downloads (Amazon, iTunes) with a different version. By definition they will sound different. By definition a master created for mass-market digital downloads will not be as good as one where the Audio Engineers have been allowed to mix, master, and render the track carefully. There is no doubting the superior quality of the studio Engineering work that is used on the HDTracks downloads. There is every doubt that any improvement is due to the hires format. In fact, even in the WSJ there is strong evidence that the format isn't the primary benefit. In the article, Michael Hsu writes: "I took the hi-res audio files that I purchased from HDtracks and converted them to MP3 using iTunes. To my surprise, they sounded unmistakably richer and less brittle than the digital versions I had purchased from Amazon.com and the standard iTunes Store" If the difference can be heard even when the track is converted to mp3, it can only be because the original source material sounded far better. The article is a great advert for better source material. It's not a good advert for hires.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos will pass a not hires file
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
To be honest, I appreciate the fact that SONOS even comments on here and gives us any kind of answer whatsoever. They don't have to, but they do. SONOS are a private company and they made the decision in the early days of the company to keep their developments secret until otherwise releasing them. With the increasing amount of competition and copies hitting the market now I don't blame them, I for one wouldn't want to see SONOS go down hill cause some cheap a** company copied their latest innovations and made them 10 times lesser in quality and said they're the next big thing, while there's SONOS trying to make the very best they can, with all the passion and time they spend on them, all as they still try and please their customers. You can't please everyone and over 90% of SONOS users are more satisfied with their SONOS product(s) than any other product they own.

I just don't get why people come on here and complain and continuously talk down SONOS. They understand that there are some things people would like, some things that are missing, sure, that's cool, but there's only so much a small company can do. They're not a major worldwide behemoth of a company like Apple, no, they are actually quite a small company with literally just over 300 employees, that's a small number considering they distribute worldwide, have to run admin, training, hiring, engineering, development, marketing, promotions, websites, forums, supply handling, management, R&D, and all the hundreds of other things that come with being a company, all while they have a forum with people talking down about them saying they won't buy their products because of one feature that's missing, out of all the other hundreds of features SONOS offers, and the amount of time they spent on getting all the streaming services on-board and making the best hardware they could and constantly improving the sound and the stability (by the way for the customers. You know. Because they actually do listen to their customers, but they DO NOT RUSH a product). I mean. Come on. If you don't like that this feature is missing sell your stuff and don't buy. It makes it harder when people go on a rage about it on here. It honestly surprises me how SONOS still find the time to come on here and give replies at all.

I would rather wait patiently, even if it takes 5 years. I'd rather wait for SONOS to do something the right way and the best way possible, rather than them rush it just because someone said they won't buy their product if they don't.

Apple do the same thing, they are secretive, they don't say anything until release, they don't even have staff on their own forums, they are even more strict yet people don't go on a rage about it for them, they just speculate and look forward to the new announcements each year.

I just don't get this. SONOS is a FANTASTIC product as it is. There's always going to be something higher in this world, or something that won't work or isn't supported, that's just how it is, you can't have everything everywhere, so if SONOS doesn't work for you then go buy something else.

If 24 bit is important to you (small minority)

Don't buy a Sonos based on native 24 bit happening in the future

Don't invest in Sonos based on native 24 bit happening in the future

Do - invest time in a transcoding alternative for your 24 bit files

Do - buy and invest in Sonos based on its ability to play standard content

Make your own personal decisions on your needs and don't bash those of us who purchase equipment proper for our needs.
Apple, LG, Samsung, Bose, and Denon all entered the field of hardware music streaming with no support of hires audio, and no intention of doing so. So your threat seems quite idle.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I understand the point - and I'm able to comprehend that Sonos has said they have no plans to support 24bit.I understand Richards need for 24bit support and understand if he decides to look at other solutions.  If I had a need for 24bit support I would look at transcoding or moving systems.  I however do not.  Others do.I don't understand the questions being asked again and again and people acting like they are not receiving answers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Martin. Do not speak for other people. I have no desire for higher resolution then my current flac files I rip to. And BBC has nothing to do with this conversation and Sonos has fix for BBC in the works (a BBC issue). You are just baiting others.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
To be honest, I appreciate the fact that SONOS even comments on here and gives us any kind of answer whatsoever. They don't have to, but they do. SONOS are a private company and they made the decision in the early days of the company to keep their developments secret until otherwise releasing them. With the increasing amount of competition and copies hitting the market now I don't blame them, I for one wouldn't want to see SONOS go down hill cause some cheap a** company copied their latest innovations and made them 10 times lesser in quality and said they're the next big thing, while there's SONOS trying to make the very best they can, with all the passion and time they spend on them, all as they still try and please their customers. You can't please everyone and over 90% of SONOS users are more satisfied with their SONOS product(s) than any other product they own.

I just don't get why people come on here and complain and continuously talk down SONOS. They understand that there are some things people would like, some things that are missing, sure, that's cool, but there's only so much a small company can do. They're not a major worldwide behemoth of a company like Apple, no, they are actually quite a small company with literally just over 300 employees, that's a small number considering they distribute worldwide, have to run admin, training, hiring, engineering, development, marketing, promotions, websites, forums, supply handling, management, R&D, and all the hundreds of other things that come with being a company, all while they have a forum with people talking down about them saying they won't buy their products because of one feature that's missing, out of all the other hundreds of features SONOS offers, and the amount of time they spent on getting all the streaming services on-board and making the best hardware they could and constantly improving the sound and the stability (by the way for the customers. You know. Because they actually do listen to their customers, but they DO NOT RUSH a product). I mean. Come on. If you don't like that this feature is missing sell your stuff and don't buy. It makes it harder when people go on a rage about it on here. It honestly surprises me how SONOS still find the time to come on here and give replies at all.

I would rather wait patiently, even if it takes 5 years. I'd rather wait for SONOS to do something the right way and the best way possible, rather than them rush it just because someone said they won't buy their product if they don't.

Apple do the same thing, they are secretive, they don't say anything until release, they don't even have staff on their own forums, they are even more strict yet people don't go on a rage about it for them, they just speculate and look forward to the new announcements each year.

I just don't get this. SONOS is a FANTASTIC product as it is. There's always going to be something higher in this world, or something that won't work or isn't supported, that's just how it is, you can't have everything everywhere, so if SONOS doesn't work for you then go buy something else.

maybe just now emerging for him... our work is done.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Martin i don't mean to disrespect your opinion either. But don't oreface your conversation saying ALL USERS want something. I respect the desire for high resolution audio and I'm sure if available I would utilize for my favorites. But realize sonos has never had this. If you want to explain why sonos should spend the time, money, and most likely then obsoleting some of the current product line please present your case here. It is a forum to express ideas but realize saying sonos is not listening or should do something will probably fall of deaf ears.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I would agree with Martin's post.  We don't know if there is a capability or if Sonos has ever tested.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Bluesound looks like a pretty decent system (although a good bit more expensive, still developing software which has potential, no dedicated network like Sonosnet).  We will see via Bluesound success if it pushes Sonos to any future development on 24bit.

I still believe Sonos flexibility, mature ecosystem, price point, and dedicated network trump the 24bit.  But that is just a personal opinion ... there are certainly those that would put 24bit at the top.
"Old technology?" The Bose streamers are less than two years old and the rest came out in 2014. People should know the market before posting nonsense.

And I'm not a luddite. I just don't fall for snake oil. You are probably still coloring you CD edges with "special" green markers and elevating your speaker cables with little wood feet.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes Marc. That would seem a logical progression. First being sonos ability to downs ample. Issue with sonos is that everything is done on device and not via a server. I think what sonos would first need to do is fix their support for third party media servers. Let the servers so the downmixing. Then you could talk what sonos unit could actually play a hires stream.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sorry Martin if you have been mistaken for another. I can't even find the original post now.

Do you think that there is a good probability that that will happen then? That Sonos's Engineering team will decide to have a technical discussion about the commercially sensitive designs of their equipment with the good people of these forums?

Really?

As for "mass posting" I will note that Martin has almost double the number of posts on these forums than I do, mostly asking the same question in different ways when the answer "no" has been given every time.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

.000001% chance
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I'm not against it