Support high resolution files

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

815 replies

Userlevel 2
And that's a reasonable request, although I would point out that you have purchased music in a non-standard format that actually isn't that widely supported (most portable players won't support it, for instance). Perhaps you should campaign some of these vendors to make these superior quality masters available in more standard formats. Regardless, it's still a reasonable request, even if your unwillingness to convert files to a more standard format (which, by the way, all your other music players will also play) probably isn't enough to compel Sonos to embark on a significant and costly development exercise. My point is it is diluted by all of the irrational, made-up nonsense about hires being a significant segment of the market and Sonos losing market share by not supporting it (not from you, but from others).
There's been one peer reviewed article giving effects. It wasn't reproduced however but people are still intrigued by it and haven't found a reason why (or why not).

Removing that one, there have been multiple explanations in these peer reviewed articles about hypersonic effects. Many will point out to different elements, many of which doesn't have anything to do with the ear.

Possibilities have included the body reacting to hypersonic sound, giving a tactile enjoyment of it. Also the idea some people are able to hear more precisely a sound when there's a noise floor being applied to the initial sound instead of listening to a pure frequency response, the noise floor in this being safely put in the hypersonic range, out of our listening ability. Then there's the (peer-reviewed) research showing people are comfortable listening to audio at higher volumes when high-frequency frequencies were introduced in the stream, giving the listener the opportunity to use more fully their ears, thus give what is considered a better sound. That's not speaking about audio equipment that will modify their lower frequencies in response to higher frequencies due to inefficiencies (in which case my system is inefficient in a really cool way and I thank it ^_^). All in all, multiple probable causes have been proposed in the articles you are talking about.

Returning to my text, I carefully chose my examples with elements that does exhibit a high frequency harshness when badly dithered at 44KHz. You can get a safe 44KHz response for violin by reducing >8KHz and by putting heavy dithering to the sound. Otherwise, you get inconsistent high frequencies. To achieve 22KHz, you alternate 1 and 0s. To achieve ~11KHz, you alternate 1,.5,0,.5. As such, a lot of what is >8KHz is interpolated by DACs to get a better frequency rollout and reduce harshness. Much like 25Hz, the 15KHz is still present, and you were the first to say there's a tactile sensation, a presence at lower frequencies. I have to add up that one to the same principle.

Most of what is played at lower 8KHz frequencies will be very adequate, then you will get "that" sound that you'll hate, or you'll have that metallic property you'll hate (metallic is the best way to describe it, but in no way it has anything to do with the digital logic on ICs).

It's all these that makes the music played @ 96KHz more enjoyable, much like I have difficulties seeing my pixels on my 1920x1200 screen, I don't see the pixels on my high DPI phone screen, especially with antialiasing enabled (then I just don't have any chance!) but somehow, sometimes, I see pixellated jagged edges in some cases, honing my attention to that defect. And most of the music I listen is awesome at any given frequency, I do enjoy music at 44KHz a lot, and most of it is really incredible. But there's that edge case here and there that somehow makes it better for me when I'm not filtered by a quantized 44KHz response
Userlevel 2
Thank you for the feedback. At this time, Sonos does not have plans to add support for high resolution audio files, including high resolution FLAC. This topic will remain open for further discussion.
I'm changing to Bluesound. Better built products, slightly higher price, but their app isn't as user friendly, and they don't have a "Play 1".
To be honest, I appreciate the fact that SONOS even comments on here and gives us any kind of answer whatsoever. They don't have to, but they do. SONOS are a private company and they made the decision in the early days of the company to keep their developments secret until otherwise releasing them. With the increasing amount of competition and copies hitting the market now I don't blame them, I for one wouldn't want to see SONOS go down hill cause some cheap a** company copied their latest innovations and made them 10 times lesser in quality and said they're the next big thing, while there's SONOS trying to make the very best they can, with all the passion and time they spend on them, all as they still try and please their customers. You can't please everyone and over 90% of SONOS users are more satisfied with their SONOS product(s) than any other product they own.

I just don't get why people come on here and complain and continuously talk down SONOS. They understand that there are some things people would like, some things that are missing, sure, that's cool, but there's only so much a small company can do. They're not a major worldwide behemoth of a company like Apple, no, they are actually quite a small company with literally just over 300 employees, that's a small number considering they distribute worldwide, have to run admin, training, hiring, engineering, development, marketing, promotions, websites, forums, supply handling, management, R&D, and all the hundreds of other things that come with being a company, all while they have a forum with people talking down about them saying they won't buy their products because of one feature that's missing, out of all the other hundreds of features SONOS offers, and the amount of time they spent on getting all the streaming services on-board and making the best hardware they could and constantly improving the sound and the stability (by the way for the customers. You know. Because they actually do listen to their customers, but they DO NOT RUSH a product). I mean. Come on. If you don't like that this feature is missing sell your stuff and don't buy. It makes it harder when people go on a rage about it on here. It honestly surprises me how SONOS still find the time to come on here and give replies at all.

I would rather wait patiently, even if it takes 5 years. I'd rather wait for SONOS to do something the right way and the best way possible, rather than them rush it just because someone said they won't buy their product if they don't.

Apple do the same thing, they are secretive, they don't say anything until release, they don't even have staff on their own forums, they are even more strict yet people don't go on a rage about it for them, they just speculate and look forward to the new announcements each year.

I just don't get this. SONOS is a FANTASTIC product as it is. There's always going to be something higher in this world, or something that won't work or isn't supported, that's just how it is, you can't have everything everywhere, so if SONOS doesn't work for you then go buy something else.

I think they've made it very clear that it's not. That's exactly what "not planned" means.

And yet we still get "I'm entitled to a different answer because that's not the one I wanted" posts along the lines of "I truly find it appauling (sic) the Sonos has decided to grant us with comments that the 24 bit is still not planned"

Yes, I do think you are asking too much.
Please sonos, let us know if there are plans to support hi-res audio files.  If something isn't done soon with the sons platform, i'll be dumping all of my sonos components and moving on to a product line that truly appreciates audiophile quality
Just a question but, have many people here read the reviews of much of the stuff that passes as hi-res? It's worth just typing the name of the Fleetwood Mac album Rumors into Google followed by the word HDtracks and reading the reviews. Do the same thing with any of the material that you but off the site. Without question, some of the material is fantastically good but in a number of other cases that is not so. Indeed, reviewers, and ones own ears, say that the source material is not so fantastic. Not much of the HDtracks material indicates it provenance leading to speculation that in many cases, the tracks are rips from the SACD, DVD-A or even upsampled Red Book discs. Except for Linn are there a whole lot of hi-res sources out there - and I mean credible an reliable sources. This whole discussion string could amount to a number of unfortunate should chasing their own tails. Even though I am setting up a process through which to listen to hi-res downloads, I prefer to listen to a good SACD, DVD-A or HDCD disc played through a great DAC. Can someone please let me know where you source your hi-res material?
Userlevel 2
Thank you for the feedback. At this time, Sonos does not have plans to add support for high resolution audio files, including high resolution FLAC. This topic will remain open for further discussion.
Judging by my reaction -- and I'm a long-term and early adopter of Sonos -- Sonos had damn well better get working on FLAC support.  I'm now converted to high-res and if Sonos doesn't get onto this, I'm switching to a system that will.  Period!
To be honest, I appreciate the fact that SONOS even comments on here and gives us any kind of answer whatsoever. They don't have to, but they do. SONOS are a private company and they made the decision in the early days of the company to keep their developments secret until otherwise releasing them. With the increasing amount of competition and copies hitting the market now I don't blame them, I for one wouldn't want to see SONOS go down hill cause some cheap a** company copied their latest innovations and made them 10 times lesser in quality and said they're the next big thing, while there's SONOS trying to make the very best they can, with all the passion and time they spend on them, all as they still try and please their customers. You can't please everyone and over 90% of SONOS users are more satisfied with their SONOS product(s) than any other product they own.

I just don't get why people come on here and complain and continuously talk down SONOS. They understand that there are some things people would like, some things that are missing, sure, that's cool, but there's only so much a small company can do. They're not a major worldwide behemoth of a company like Apple, no, they are actually quite a small company with literally just over 300 employees, that's a small number considering they distribute worldwide, have to run admin, training, hiring, engineering, development, marketing, promotions, websites, forums, supply handling, management, R&D, and all the hundreds of other things that come with being a company, all while they have a forum with people talking down about them saying they won't buy their products because of one feature that's missing, out of all the other hundreds of features SONOS offers, and the amount of time they spent on getting all the streaming services on-board and making the best hardware they could and constantly improving the sound and the stability (by the way for the customers. You know. Because they actually do listen to their customers, but they DO NOT RUSH a product). I mean. Come on. If you don't like that this feature is missing sell your stuff and don't buy. It makes it harder when people go on a rage about it on here. It honestly surprises me how SONOS still find the time to come on here and give replies at all.

I would rather wait patiently, even if it takes 5 years. I'd rather wait for SONOS to do something the right way and the best way possible, rather than them rush it just because someone said they won't buy their product if they don't.

Apple do the same thing, they are secretive, they don't say anything until release, they don't even have staff on their own forums, they are even more strict yet people don't go on a rage about it for them, they just speculate and look forward to the new announcements each year.

I just don't get this. SONOS is a FANTASTIC product as it is. There's always going to be something higher in this world, or something that won't work or isn't supported, that's just how it is, you can't have everything everywhere, so if SONOS doesn't work for you then go buy something else.

I'm glad I didn't over invest - I love my sonos 5 but I'll be moving on since there are no intentions to support higher fidelity music. Thanks for the start Sonos - let's see who will carry on your work.

Is there a way to disable notifications from this thread? It's a waste of email space at this point.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Please sonos, let us know if there are plans to support hi-res audio files.  If something isn't done soon with the sons platform, i'll be dumping all of my sonos components and moving on to a product line that truly appreciates audiophile quality
Hi All and Pat,

I believe that the point of the thread is not where or what are the hi-res sources that people are using?

The points are --> If Sonos claims to support audiophiles, then why does Sonos not provide flexible and open options for uncompressed or improved resolution regardless of source? Why does Sonos continue to limit resolution and remain a bottleneck of throughput?

If Sonos is limiting, then they should stop advertising that they are a quality product. Sonos is great for what it does well . . . Internet streaming, and that's about it. Full stop.

If users want quality and/or flexibility, then we need to look at other products from different manufacturers and use them in parallel.
Userlevel 2
You are right it's a free for all. And that's not counting the most degrading aspects of a track are done upstream to the actual final format. Bad recording engineers, bad mastering, usage of loudness war tactics and brickwalling, heavy unneeded filtering or simple technical limitations. You need quality freaks with power at every step of the chain.

Audiophile is definitely a hit and miss. I review vinyls for fun and I can safely say the end quality varies greatly. Same for digital tracks, HD or not.

HDTracks is a nice start. Acoustic Sounds is a great starting place too. I tend to look up http://www.dr.loudness-war.info for the different albums and see how dynamic are the albums in general, see what I'm up against. Some HD Tracks are also listed there. Although I don't mind an occasional incursion in the red zone, I would frown upon an album that's in the red. And this has nothing to do with HD, just the most damning audio damaging factor that's out there at the moment.

On topic: My HD collection comes from some artists I follow will provide HD tracks directly. Otherwise, it's my own rips using high quality ADC and high-end vinyl equipment, some WaveArts plugins for slight cleanup and I'm good to go.
I'm rather tired of stock responses like "no plans to support". I would be understanding of SONOS if they explained technical challenges, issues or even a tech strategy that is mutually exclusive to 24/96 FLAC. Even that it is cost prohibitive at this point. I understand SONOS need to make a profit! I've invested a good amount of money in SONOS gear that stated it supported FLAC (Connect and some play 5's). Now to find out it only supports CD quality sampling and no higher resolution audio is rather misleading. Without even downscaling! I guess I should have done more detailed research before I bought. I honestly find this corporate "no plans to support" line as insulting to me as a loyal customer and arrogant in expecting that we deserve no context despite our product investments. SONOS, I thought you were a more modern company? How about some more modern, straightforward communication?
I completely agree. This smacks of our customers are not intelligent or important enough to give a proper answer to. You bought our product now shut up because we are not interested and already have your money. I have a playbar , a sub and 2x play ones and I thought I was buying a bells and whistles system. No Flac, no DTS. Absolute trashy stock responses from Sonos. Very poor support. I don't want workarounds I just want a system that works out of the box and exceeds my expectations. Not one that leaves me feeling cheated.
Userlevel 5
Badge +4

- SONOS do not comment on rumour or speculation, specifically regarding future products or developments. Pretty much just as Apple don't. They've said this many times before and I'm sure they understand that people would like a bit more transparency but it's just not how SONOS work. We can't change that, we just have to wait it out and hope for the best.

I wasn't replying to you directly, don't worry. I feel the way I said in my comment in a general sense in regards to all the threads that go around like this. People just talk s**t about SONOS rather than actually detailing ways to do this and why and being respectful about the fact that they want these features. SONOS are not slaves to us, they depend on us buying their products though but at the same time it's a bit unfair to expect EVERYTHING in the world from them ASAP.

There's been tons of features that have been implemented by SONOS which customers specifically asked for. Even whole products. PLAYBAR was a customer request, it took many years after before we saw it but in the end that just meant we got a better product.

They could very well be working on this feature at the moment but we will never know until they release it. Most of the requests are on a backlog due to so many. They do one thing at a time and they do that one thing REALLY well.

I don't mean to come across aggressive but personally I have faith in the brand and I have seen them do a lot of great things for customers in the past so to me it's just a time thing and I'd rather wait than regret. 

- Anyway, they did add support for both HQ streaming and HQ local playback. It's not 24bit but it's still something, and something that was requested by customers. It just had to be implemented the right way. 
Userlevel 2
Although I share the disappointment of other Sonos users that high-res files remain unsupported, I'm certainly not ready to ditch the product.  Sonos is (and remains) the smoothest remote music method.  But I DO feel Sonos owes its loyal users a good deal more than its canned answer:

"Thank you for the feedback. At this time, Sonos does not have plans to add support for high resolution audio files, including high resolution FLAC. "

It needs to tell us WHY.

And, hopefully, WHEN...
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Wasn't planned when you bought Sonos and not planned now.  Not treated like children treated like adults who can face facts without throwing a tantrum actually.
Userlevel 1
Just to clarify again, Sonos DOES currently support FLAC files at up to 16/48 

http://www.sonos.com/sonos-shop/products/connect#
Userlevel 5
Badge +4
Sonos - Can you at least add support for high res files to be played via the Sonos Connect digital-out jacks to an outboard DAC? Please?

Love how you just tell it how it is, Chris! Straight to the point! 🙂
Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Yeah. That's the point I was trying to get at, although I am not as direct as you with it.
I do completely agree though!