Support high resolution files

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

815 replies

Same on my side, I have a whole bunch of high resolution Flac files that I can't play through sonos, what a pitty !
Just do a one-time downconversion. You'll benefit from any superior mastering and won't suffer from the acknowledged intermodulation products caused by nonlinearity in the ultrasonic region.
I have not read this entire 5 year thread so please excuse me if this question is answered within. I understand that the DACs used by Sonos products cannot handle hi-res files. However, can a Sonos connect pass a hi-res file unmodified to an external DAC through it’s digital outputs? I use to Sonos to play music in some places where the sound quality is not all that important but all I need it to do for my “listening” room is move packets unmodified from the hard drive attached to the router to my DAC. Will it do that?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos will pass a not hires file
Thank you Chris
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
oops - Sorry my phone had a mind of its own ... that was supposed to say NOT NOT pass a hires file
Bummer
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
From the HiRes side I can understand Sonos not supporting playing HiRes. I support the scientific info that you can not hear the difference between the two. Differences to me I ever notice are most likely due to increased amplitude or better master recording used.

However, the Sonos problem actually is not being able to do things like pass the hires to an offboard DAC or downconvert a hires file. HiRes files are completely ignored by Sonos. So having any with Sonos does you no good at all your best to convert them all to standard FLAC lossless.
Badge
I spent $2000 on 5.1 SONOS “Hi-Fi” hardware & they don’t even have plans on supporting 96/24 lossless audio?! What in the golden is the point?! 😠 Jesus Christ
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Buy products based on your needs not what you wish they had.
Badge
Buy products based on your needs not what you wish they had. I didn’t know I NEEDED it until I heard the sound quality sonos DOES have; which in all honesty is probably more than enough. BUT, there is something better available so obviously now I want it.

What I don’t get is how a product modeled as a “Hi-Fi speaker system” has no intention on supporting high res audio. Don’t piss on my boots & tell me it’s raining. :?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
They have nothing to do with each other. And from most testing etc the differences in hi res are not perceivable. The mastering may be difference and as before If you have hi res files I can see wanting Sonos to transcode (which itself it does not).

Hi fi doesnt mean hi res files. Never has never will. You make your personal choices as to what you need. Hi res is a niche market that a few people do support if that is what you need. I prefer Sonos and reliability.
Buy products based on your needs not what you wish they had. I didn’t know I NEEDED it until I heard the sound quality sonos DOES have; which in all honesty is probably more than enough. BUT, there is something better available so obviously now I want it.

What I don’t get is how a product modeled as a “Hi-Fi speaker system” has no intention on supporting high res audio. Don’t piss on my boots & tell me it’s raining. :?

It's not "something better", it is snake oil.

Here's some lovely reading, brought to you by xiph.org, the creators of FLAC the most popular hi-res audio format on the planet. Yet even they think Hi-res audio "makes no sense".

https://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html
By the way, this is my favorite post of this thread, from 3 years ago:

Any one who thinks HiRez music is not already mainstream need only look to Pono's success - you don't raise 6.3 million dollars to produce a 24/192 player just because you're a rock star, you raise it because people want to hear better quality sound.

Pono lasted just over 2 years.
Badge
They have nothing to do with each other. And from most testing etc the differences in hi res are not perceivable. The mastering may be difference and as before If you have hi res files I can see wanting Sonos to transcode (which itself it does not).

Hi fi doesnt mean hi res files. Never has never will. You make your personal choices as to what you need. Hi res is a niche market that a few people do support if that is what you need. I prefer Sonos and reliability.
sounds like someone’s just in an arguing mood today. I was not the audiophile I am today when I got into the sonos game. “Hi-fi” “hi res” I saw “hi” & the HIGH product price and figured it was all the same. No biggie, I’m a big boy. I’ll take my licks & be just fine. Just bugs that they straight said there’s no plans. I’d rathar be left in the dark lol.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11

What quality?