Support high resolution files

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

815 replies

Sonos have given us every reason to expect they would be among the technology leaders. Their products were always high quality and until hires they were playing flac files which many others did not.

When they then decide to become mainstream rather than market leaders it is completely acceptable that some of their users not just go away but do so protesting.

I understand that it would be convenient for them if upset users just went away after having spent fortunes on rheir products but in this case I think Sonos created this situation by hoping nobody would notice and then ignore the upset users completely.

My argument is that I don't believe it gives any benefit, sonically or in market penetration. And no company has unlimited resources. Every company must budget, and I prefer that budget go elsewhere. Period. And I speak for no one but myself. Nice straw man, though.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Squeezebox is a server based system.  Very different from Sonos.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
To be honest, I appreciate the fact that SONOS even comments on here and gives us any kind of answer whatsoever. They don't have to, but they do. SONOS are a private company and they made the decision in the early days of the company to keep their developments secret until otherwise releasing them. With the increasing amount of competition and copies hitting the market now I don't blame them, I for one wouldn't want to see SONOS go down hill cause some cheap a** company copied their latest innovations and made them 10 times lesser in quality and said they're the next big thing, while there's SONOS trying to make the very best they can, with all the passion and time they spend on them, all as they still try and please their customers. You can't please everyone and over 90% of SONOS users are more satisfied with their SONOS product(s) than any other product they own.

I just don't get why people come on here and complain and continuously talk down SONOS. They understand that there are some things people would like, some things that are missing, sure, that's cool, but there's only so much a small company can do. They're not a major worldwide behemoth of a company like Apple, no, they are actually quite a small company with literally just over 300 employees, that's a small number considering they distribute worldwide, have to run admin, training, hiring, engineering, development, marketing, promotions, websites, forums, supply handling, management, R&D, and all the hundreds of other things that come with being a company, all while they have a forum with people talking down about them saying they won't buy their products because of one feature that's missing, out of all the other hundreds of features SONOS offers, and the amount of time they spent on getting all the streaming services on-board and making the best hardware they could and constantly improving the sound and the stability (by the way for the customers. You know. Because they actually do listen to their customers, but they DO NOT RUSH a product). I mean. Come on. If you don't like that this feature is missing sell your stuff and don't buy. It makes it harder when people go on a rage about it on here. It honestly surprises me how SONOS still find the time to come on here and give replies at all.

I would rather wait patiently, even if it takes 5 years. I'd rather wait for SONOS to do something the right way and the best way possible, rather than them rush it just because someone said they won't buy their product if they don't.

Apple do the same thing, they are secretive, they don't say anything until release, they don't even have staff on their own forums, they are even more strict yet people don't go on a rage about it for them, they just speculate and look forward to the new announcements each year.

I just don't get this. SONOS is a FANTASTIC product as it is. There's always going to be something higher in this world, or something that won't work or isn't supported, that's just how it is, you can't have everything everywhere, so if SONOS doesn't work for you then go buy something else.

Connect seems like the device that should be 24/192 as the hires would be most useful with high quality dacs and speakers. The confusing thing would be that the files would only play on a single unit. Seems against what sonos usually does. Maybe competition led them to change their methods
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Thank you for the feedback. At this time, Sonos does not have plans to add support for high resolution audio files, including high resolution FLAC. This topic will remain open for further discussion.
I don't think Jgatie said he had an ax to grind on hi res. he just put in a respectful opinion that he felt they should utilize their resources in other improvement areas. This forum is for differnt opinions to be respected not for attacks on others opinions.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
To be honest, I appreciate the fact that SONOS even comments on here and gives us any kind of answer whatsoever. They don't have to, but they do. SONOS are a private company and they made the decision in the early days of the company to keep their developments secret until otherwise releasing them. With the increasing amount of competition and copies hitting the market now I don't blame them, I for one wouldn't want to see SONOS go down hill cause some cheap a** company copied their latest innovations and made them 10 times lesser in quality and said they're the next big thing, while there's SONOS trying to make the very best they can, with all the passion and time they spend on them, all as they still try and please their customers. You can't please everyone and over 90% of SONOS users are more satisfied with their SONOS product(s) than any other product they own.

I just don't get why people come on here and complain and continuously talk down SONOS. They understand that there are some things people would like, some things that are missing, sure, that's cool, but there's only so much a small company can do. They're not a major worldwide behemoth of a company like Apple, no, they are actually quite a small company with literally just over 300 employees, that's a small number considering they distribute worldwide, have to run admin, training, hiring, engineering, development, marketing, promotions, websites, forums, supply handling, management, R&D, and all the hundreds of other things that come with being a company, all while they have a forum with people talking down about them saying they won't buy their products because of one feature that's missing, out of all the other hundreds of features SONOS offers, and the amount of time they spent on getting all the streaming services on-board and making the best hardware they could and constantly improving the sound and the stability (by the way for the customers. You know. Because they actually do listen to their customers, but they DO NOT RUSH a product). I mean. Come on. If you don't like that this feature is missing sell your stuff and don't buy. It makes it harder when people go on a rage about it on here. It honestly surprises me how SONOS still find the time to come on here and give replies at all.

I would rather wait patiently, even if it takes 5 years. I'd rather wait for SONOS to do something the right way and the best way possible, rather than them rush it just because someone said they won't buy their product if they don't.

Apple do the same thing, they are secretive, they don't say anything until release, they don't even have staff on their own forums, they are even more strict yet people don't go on a rage about it for them, they just speculate and look forward to the new announcements each year.

I just don't get this. SONOS is a FANTASTIC product as it is. There's always going to be something higher in this world, or something that won't work or isn't supported, that's just how it is, you can't have everything everywhere, so if SONOS doesn't work for you then go buy something else.

If it's true I don't think it will be an inline change to the connect. I think we are due for a connect 2 anyhow with digital input and maybe usb as well.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I would still say the no when it comes to buying decisions though.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I'm rather tired of stock responses like "no plans to support". I would be understanding of SONOS if they explained technical challenges, issues or even a tech strategy that is mutually exclusive to 24/96 FLAC. Even that it is cost prohibitive at this point. I understand SONOS need to make a profit! I've invested a good amount of money in SONOS gear that stated it supported FLAC (Connect and some play 5's). Now to find out it only supports CD quality sampling and no higher resolution audio is rather misleading. Without even downscaling! I guess I should have done more detailed research before I bought. I honestly find this corporate "no plans to support" line as insulting to me as a loyal customer and arrogant in expecting that we deserve no context despite our product investments. SONOS, I thought you were a more modern company? How about some more modern, straightforward communication?
Sounds like their plan to me 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

And undid stop following but still getting emails on. So I'm still here I guess
Thank you for the feedback. At this time, Sonos does not have plans to add support for high resolution audio files, including high resolution FLAC. This topic will remain open for further discussion.
"Chumpions"? Billion pound company head and all you can come up with is a schoolboy play on words? Surely you are more clever by half.

Any "reliable" source with that type of information would be in gross violation of an NDA.
And my opposition to hires has been stated often; both scientific knowledge and experiment have shown it to be snake oil. Period. Now I don't know one luddite who bases his opinion on modern science, but hey, it seems making up definitions is what one does around here.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

It is good for speculation and expression of wishes.
No, but if they brought out a tv that claims to be better because it displays invisible frequencies of light, that would be snake oil. Read up on sampling theory and you will see that is the proper analogy, not 4k resolution in the visible spectrum.

And snake oil is a colloquial term. I think we can all discern my meaning.
Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Yeah, when people actually do those things, instead of have like the last 180 posts all about arguing and 'bullying'. SONOS would look at it and thing "For f**k sake. This is why we don't comment.", if you get what I mean.

It's good now, speculation and stuff.

I think the existing players are more than capable. This 24bit HQ music has been requested and on the minds of SONOS since before even the PLAY:3 came out. I'm sure they would be actively thinking ahead during the design of these products. They build for the future so they can implement things in the future. They've stated this themselves about their products. Same thing here. The only players which I don't think would be capable are the current PLAY:5's, and the older CONNECT's and CONNECT:AMP's, with the old logo's on them. Everything else I'm more than certain has been quietly upgraded or at least built from scratch with this in mind. The hardware is technically unable to process such data but with every bit of tech there's ways to workaround. 

Say, for example all of the hardware was incapable of 24bit playback, what's to say SONOS won't just release a little device that you wire into a router (or player) to then process the 24bit audio and stream it out to the players and bypass the internal player processing. This would mean even the old stuff would work since it's relying on this central processor to do the work for the player, rather than the players doing it.

I do believe the players are already capable though and we will just have to wait and see as to when SONOS will enable this.
I can be so confident because science is on my side. And the only people who discredit double blind audio testing are audiophiles. Peer reviewed scientific literature does no such thing. My eyes and ears are well open, I've heard it all and bad tested them. As I've explained before. Now queue you insulting my ears and my gear. The wheels on the bus go round and round . . .
Then why can't they prove hires sounds better? Why has every peer reviewed, reproducible, double blind test done shown no difference? Which is an aftual fact!
The hypersonic effect study was not reproducible. And there is debate over the testing methodology, specifically the use of full vs half bandwidth, in the original study. One of the first tenets of science is the experiment be reproducible.

Plus, correct me if I'm wrong, but that study's conclusion was that people preferred the low res audio to the hires? Not really the result you wanted to see, right?

Citation, Boston Audio Society study published in AES journal.

http://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?e...

Are you saying the output of the Pono Revealer "reveals" differences which make the entire justification for it's existence a reality?  Color me not surprised. 😉
My information on current companies was out of date. Thank you for the correction. Still, Samsung, Bose, and Denon do not support it. So I amend my former statement to "many" have decided not to support it.

Or the "reformatting" purposefully degrades the 16/44.1 version in order to justify the existence of the Pono.  Wouldn't be any different from the hires vendors who were purposefully degrading the CD layer of SACD disks in order to make hires sound better,
I listen to Flac. And the day you show me a study that proves people can actually hear a difference, then I will support your view. Until then, science is on my side.

As to the hypersonic effect, now you need to give a citation for the reproducibility. Because everything I've read says it was not reproducible.
We will agree to disagree.  I don't feel like being thrashed about by the likes of Martin today.  Enjoy your Pono player.

I have to say I'm sceptical about this too. I've done listening tests between hires and well downsampled versions and I can't tell the difference, and I know a number of people who have done the same with similar results. I don't need to point out that scientific tests have been conducted with groups of people of various ages and hearing abilities (including some studio professionals) which have shown no ability to perceive a difference.

I heard about the Pono Revealer some time back before it was publicly available based on comments from Neil Young.

I was sceptical immediately: if a nearly 70-year old man with a stated hearing impairment, who has basically spent a large part of his life gigging and recording rock music without any hearing protection can hear clear differences where tests done in experimental conditions with much younger, less tin-eared people doesn't detect any...

Something doesn't add up.

I would love someone reputable to get this into a lab and test it properly.
Again, the conclusion states that you cannot "hear" a difference (as I said).  Moreover, when asked to subjectively evaluate the two sources, the "listeners" preferred the source without hires information.  Again, not a strong argument for the superiority of the hires sources.  If anything, it points towards the hires sources being inferior. 

Incidentally, in some cases this effect could very well be due to intermodulation distortion in the audible range, an effect which is proven to occur in audio hardware when playing hires sources.  Though the results with/without headphones seems to rule this out, it is yet another factor in determining that hires audio does nothing to improve the sound and very may likely deteriorate the source (unless you actually like intermodulation distortion?).
Come on Sonos! We want this yesterday.

Since it is designated as "Not Planned", I doubt it is ever coming; yesterday, today, tomorrow, or in 10 years.