Support high resolution files

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

815 replies

To be honest, I appreciate the fact that SONOS even comments on here and gives us any kind of answer whatsoever. They don't have to, but they do. SONOS are a private company and they made the decision in the early days of the company to keep their developments secret until otherwise releasing them. With the increasing amount of competition and copies hitting the market now I don't blame them, I for one wouldn't want to see SONOS go down hill cause some cheap a** company copied their latest innovations and made them 10 times lesser in quality and said they're the next big thing, while there's SONOS trying to make the very best they can, with all the passion and time they spend on them, all as they still try and please their customers. You can't please everyone and over 90% of SONOS users are more satisfied with their SONOS product(s) than any other product they own.

I just don't get why people come on here and complain and continuously talk down SONOS. They understand that there are some things people would like, some things that are missing, sure, that's cool, but there's only so much a small company can do. They're not a major worldwide behemoth of a company like Apple, no, they are actually quite a small company with literally just over 300 employees, that's a small number considering they distribute worldwide, have to run admin, training, hiring, engineering, development, marketing, promotions, websites, forums, supply handling, management, R&D, and all the hundreds of other things that come with being a company, all while they have a forum with people talking down about them saying they won't buy their products because of one feature that's missing, out of all the other hundreds of features SONOS offers, and the amount of time they spent on getting all the streaming services on-board and making the best hardware they could and constantly improving the sound and the stability (by the way for the customers. You know. Because they actually do listen to their customers, but they DO NOT RUSH a product). I mean. Come on. If you don't like that this feature is missing sell your stuff and don't buy. It makes it harder when people go on a rage about it on here. It honestly surprises me how SONOS still find the time to come on here and give replies at all.

I would rather wait patiently, even if it takes 5 years. I'd rather wait for SONOS to do something the right way and the best way possible, rather than them rush it just because someone said they won't buy their product if they don't.

Apple do the same thing, they are secretive, they don't say anything until release, they don't even have staff on their own forums, they are even more strict yet people don't go on a rage about it for them, they just speculate and look forward to the new announcements each year.

I just don't get this. SONOS is a FANTASTIC product as it is. There's always going to be something higher in this world, or something that won't work or isn't supported, that's just how it is, you can't have everything everywhere, so if SONOS doesn't work for you then go buy something else.

I'm not insulting people. I'm insulting the brain-damaged concepts they cling to in order to justify their approach and position.

The day Sonos Engineering start coming onto these forums and having an open discussion and debate about the design and Engineering challenges is probably the day they die as a company.

It's such a ridiculous concept. It's never going to happen. Surely you can agree with that?

A simple Yes or No is all I need.
To be honest, I appreciate the fact that SONOS even comments on here and gives us any kind of answer whatsoever. They don't have to, but they do. SONOS are a private company and they made the decision in the early days of the company to keep their developments secret until otherwise releasing them. With the increasing amount of competition and copies hitting the market now I don't blame them, I for one wouldn't want to see SONOS go down hill cause some cheap a** company copied their latest innovations and made them 10 times lesser in quality and said they're the next big thing, while there's SONOS trying to make the very best they can, with all the passion and time they spend on them, all as they still try and please their customers. You can't please everyone and over 90% of SONOS users are more satisfied with their SONOS product(s) than any other product they own.

I just don't get why people come on here and complain and continuously talk down SONOS. They understand that there are some things people would like, some things that are missing, sure, that's cool, but there's only so much a small company can do. They're not a major worldwide behemoth of a company like Apple, no, they are actually quite a small company with literally just over 300 employees, that's a small number considering they distribute worldwide, have to run admin, training, hiring, engineering, development, marketing, promotions, websites, forums, supply handling, management, R&D, and all the hundreds of other things that come with being a company, all while they have a forum with people talking down about them saying they won't buy their products because of one feature that's missing, out of all the other hundreds of features SONOS offers, and the amount of time they spent on getting all the streaming services on-board and making the best hardware they could and constantly improving the sound and the stability (by the way for the customers. You know. Because they actually do listen to their customers, but they DO NOT RUSH a product). I mean. Come on. If you don't like that this feature is missing sell your stuff and don't buy. It makes it harder when people go on a rage about it on here. It honestly surprises me how SONOS still find the time to come on here and give replies at all.

I would rather wait patiently, even if it takes 5 years. I'd rather wait for SONOS to do something the right way and the best way possible, rather than them rush it just because someone said they won't buy their product if they don't.

Apple do the same thing, they are secretive, they don't say anything until release, they don't even have staff on their own forums, they are even more strict yet people don't go on a rage about it for them, they just speculate and look forward to the new announcements each year.

I just don't get this. SONOS is a FANTASTIC product as it is. There's always going to be something higher in this world, or something that won't work or isn't supported, that's just how it is, you can't have everything everywhere, so if SONOS doesn't work for you then go buy something else.

I see I have won the argument.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I'm sorry if anything I have said has come as an insult to you.  It just gets frustrating when people ask the same thing and complain Sonos will not answer - when they have answered.I do not work for Sonos and my opinions do not reflect those of Sonos. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Markus I apologize if i replied in any disrespectful way. There is a difference between someone asking if there has been any progress or change in sonos stance. As you say many don't keep up with. The disagreement comes when someone comes on and says to the effect "sonos we demand an answer why won't you give us an answer". As you can see that is a lot different.
Sonos have given us every reason to expect they would be among the technology leaders. Their products were always high quality and until hires they were playing flac files which many others did not.

When they then decide to become mainstream rather than market leaders it is completely acceptable that some of their users not just go away but do so protesting.

I understand that it would be convenient for them if upset users just went away after having spent fortunes on rheir products but in this case I think Sonos created this situation by hoping nobody would notice and then ignore the upset users completely.

But it is not the best available sound. It's snake oil. Nobody has ever been able to tell the difference between hires and the same master in 16/44 in a reproducible double blind test. It's an industry fraud to get you to buy your music again.
Sonos have given us every reason to expect they would be among the technology leaders. Their products were always high quality and until hires they were playing flac files which many others did not.

When they then decide to become mainstream rather than market leaders it is completely acceptable that some of their users not just go away but do so protesting.

I understand that it would be convenient for them if upset users just went away after having spent fortunes on rheir products but in this case I think Sonos created this situation by hoping nobody would notice and then ignore the upset users completely.

That paper says absolutely nothing about Nyquist. Nor does it do anything to refute the fact that hypersonic information in a digital recording is inaudible to even trained listeners in a double blind test.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Martin - if you go outside the contested threads you will see I probably help a good dozen or more people a day with their questions.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
No one asks for help on issues in this thread.  It is a complaint thread.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

If you hang out in complaint threads and don't actively participate in other open discussions where users have questions and need help then no you would in that short sighted way not see people being helped (I haven't seen you step up as active participant helping others).

I've been trying to say the arguments are moot for years. And as to why I'm against it? Sonos has limited resources to improve the product, I'd rather they not waste them on what I and many, many others (including the developers of the FLAC codec) consider snake oil. Simple, really.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Don't believe I have ever attacked you Jon.  I only say something on this thread when facts are posted misleading.  Champions have taken time and effort to be constructive members of this community.  Whether they are seen that way in a "complaint thread" is another story. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

This is not a "can this be implemented thread" ... maybe years ago.

Regardless of their budget or resources, I consider it money best spent elsewhere. And I have as much right to that opinion as you do to yours. It's obvious you don't like me being able to express that opinion, but that's life.

As far as I'm concerned, this stopped being a request thread the second Sonos marked it Not Planned. Not once in the history of this forum has any thing ever changed from the Not Planned status. Not. One. Time. If only people would accept that and find a solution fit for them. Then again, stirring things up in here is a great precursor to bashing Champions, getting posts deleted, and getting the thread closed, yet again, if that is one's agenda.

Jon, you have not witnessed the truly abhorrent posts that were deleted. I assure you, the posts you have listed are mild compared to the vicious and personal attacks on Champions which have to be deleted. This very thread has been closed numerous times due to the postings of one particular person. I think we can all guess who that is. PS - If you are going to quote me, at least spell my name correctly.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Who exactly'a opinions would Jgatie give other than his own.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Why i understand the argument and desire to play lossless file formats, Sonos never made support claims nor indicated future support. Hence, it may not be the solution for those type of customers and probably should move to other manufacturers rather than banging the forums and getting frustrated that Sonos doesn't act for whatever reason. Similar to what Majik and Chris pointed out before, the 'audiophile' market is neglectable when it comes to wireless audio systems and as such not a target for Sonos. 
And in reference to what Bernard said. Someone coming on this thread would think sonos didn't support lossless it Flac when in fact both are supported. And both of Jose are larger markets. Countless people come in here not realizing the debate is not flac or lossless that sonos actually does.

Jon, read the article again. It was a pure "we look into everything" marketing speak non-answer to a pointed question. It is obvious the Sonos rep didn't bring up hires, the reporter did, and the rep just said what every marketer would say. Until Sonos changes the status on this thread, I would take that article with a grain of salt the size of Wyoming.

Attacking Champions for having an opinion is really just using them as an easy target IMO: it's very easy to switch to ad hominem attacks on people who appear to be authority figures when those people point out the flaws in arguments or address statement that are unfair, unreasonable, or untrue. Just as it's very easy to call them "fanboys" or "apologists" or similar.

I get that there are people on these threads who want this feature, but there are people on some of these threads whose attacks on and characterisations of Sonos for not catering to their personal whims are appalling. It is highly ironic (not to mention hypocritical) that some of these same people have the gall to accuse us of alienating customers.

I am not particularly active on these forums, and have no plans to be. I was invited to be a "Champion" well after weighing in with my opinions on this thread, and see no reason why I should reign in my opinions due to some artificial and cynical attacks by people who are attempting to discredit or silence me because they don't like me pointing out the deep flaws in their arguments.

Because of this I am planning to ask Sonos to remove the "Champion" status from my account, simply because people are using it as a tool to attack both me and the company.

I am, and always have been, a happy user of Sonos. Look back on the attacks against me and remove the references to "champion", as you should, and you will see how ridiculous and cynical these have been.

However, I have to take some exception to your comments about people understanding the statement: I honestly don't believe they do. Or at least the deliberately choose not to to support their arguments. For instance, look back on this thread and you find, a number of times, people saying things along the lines of "why don't they just tell us" when it's pretty clear that they have. There's even someone engaging in a pedantic discussion of word syntactic!

The reality is Sonos have said "No". In commercial terms, this means "no" until is means "yes" (which may or may not happen at some point in the future. "No" is no more or less commercially meaningful than "Not Planned" and by saying "No" they aren't saying "Never", they are saying exactly as it says: "not planned". There's no meaningful challenge to that. If Sonos don't want to do it (for whatever reason) they don't have to justify or explain it, especially if in doing so they reveal commercially sensitive information.

The fact that people are challenging it shows we have a problem of comprehension or understanding somewhere.

We can have adult discussion about why not (and I think that's been had and maybe done to death), but whatever we conclude, if we can conclude anything, it doesn't change the fact that their status is "not planned", and there's nothing we can do individually or even as a small group to influence that decision.

There are things you can do, if you feel strongly enough about it, and that is to take your business elsewhere. Markets are what will drive companies to invest in products in a certain way. Losing your temper or posting hyperbole on a forum won't.

As to those who have invested in Sonos already, you did so with no promise from Sonos that they would support this functionality. They do not owe it to you. Nor do they owe you an explanation. Either sell your kit and go elsewhere or deal with it and (as someone said above) enjoy the music.

If people want to post "I want this too" or have meaningful and sensible conversations about the possible reasons (which don't include invective suggesting Sonos are somehow trying to fool their customers or similar) or want to understand the realities of commercial Product Development (as a lot of people on here clearly don't) then I don't see any problem with that.

But this thread has basically become a Sonos attack thread, with some people using any opportunity to attack Sonos directly or indirectly. I often wonder if some of these attacks originate from Sonos's competitors, as there has been a long track record of that happening.

Criticism of Champions is just one part of that attack. For instance, I was accused of being rude about a theoretical concept that no one had suggested, I wasn't targeting anyone in particular and that I think most people would have considered the concept foolish. This was used as an excuse to attack me. When I, effectively asked, "Am I wrong?" I didn't get a straight answer, which makes me believe I was right and it was just an easy way to attack me rather than addressing my argument.

I've dealt with this sort of bully before and, I refuse to shut up just because they want me to. But in this case I don't want to give them the ammo. Hence I'm asking Sonos to remove the Champion status from my account to remove that avenue of attack.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Why i understand the argument and desire to play lossless file formats, Sonos never made support claims nor indicated future support. Hence, it may not be the solution for those type of customers and probably should move to other manufacturers rather than banging the forums and getting frustrated that Sonos doesn't act for whatever reason. Similar to what Majik and Chris pointed out before, the 'audiophile' market is neglectable when it comes to wireless audio systems and as such not a target for Sonos. 
Title does not say it all - may people who say flac, lossless or hi res have no idea what it even is or the difference so don't say the title says it all.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I have felt the same way many times Majik because of the target on our back for being listed Champions.  Like in my decision, I wouldn't let the few bullies here (that really only show up in the couple bashing Sonos threads) have you change your status.  Those of us who care, are here to help people, and participate actively in all the other threads appreciate your contributions.  Pretty much if you avoid this thread and the the HLS threads you never hear a whisper from them (and then they have no clue all the help we provide daily ... and they don't care).

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
and I am simply unfollowing this thread as I do not respect their bullying and they have led me to not care about their issue.  If they feel that is progress then they don't understand how to constructively work toward a goal.
Sonos doesn't handle the implementation of sevrvces. The services themselves do it using the Sonos Music Partners API. Aside from maintaining the API, Sonos' effort is almost nil.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Bernard, I understand your point regarding Sonos having airplay, Chromecast ability. However, I do not see where either of those solutions would provide hi res audio capability.

I actually find casting a step backward because of bandwidth/wifi limitations.

I would think the Sonos method of pulling direct via hardwire connection would be the best way to stream hi res audio (via Sonos app therefore).

Think what you want, but that article is 9 months old, and the status of this thread hasn't changed. Also, that article is the only mention, ever, that Sonos is contemplating hires. So if you think it is positive, fine. But I personally won't be surprised if it never comes to fruition.