Answered

Support for BBC Radio HLS Streams

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
  • Retired Community Manager
  • 12372 replies
To keep everything clean and easy to read we've created a new thread for this issue. We are working to get the BBC HLS streams playing on your Sonos systems and we’ll update you when we have news to share.

John recently posted the below official update on a different thread:

There has been a lot of discussion lately around BBC Radio streams and we thought it might be helpful to summarize everything that's happened recently in case you are new to the topic.

Following the decision to move away from using WMA last year, the BBC has recently begun the process of switching to a new streaming method called chunked HTTP streaming,* one of many newly emerging options for providing audio and video content online.

There are several different options for how to implement chunked HTTP streaming, including offerings from Apple, Adobe, Microsoft, and MPEG.  The BBC has chosen to use an Apple-developed format commonly referred to as HLS and tell us they will add the MPEG version at a later date.

Chunked HTTP transfer is beneficial for both listeners and providers in terms of scalability and reliability, but it lacks a unified and agreed-upon industry standard. Many hardware devices (including Sonos) have yet to implement full support for each of these emerging formats.  The scenario presents a challenge for manufacturers. Which of the many formats do you choose to develop and support first? It’s a bit like Betamax vs. VHS or HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray.

In the meantime - to maintain compatibility with a wide range of manufacturers, services, and operating systems - the BBC has chosen to also provide MP3 versions.  Our partner, the internet radio aggregator TuneIn, is currently serving these streams to Sonos in lieu of the HLS versions.  However, there are two issues with the existing MP3 streams:

• The MP3 streams are available in 128Kbps quality for all services including local radio.
  • Some sports and other live events are only available within the UK due to streaming rights, and the MP3 streams presented to Sonos only include international versions which blank out this content.  Note: the BBC has informed us they intend to address this issue separately and do not yet have an available time frame.  
Sonos is in the early planning stages for adding support for HLS, which will address these issues and restore a better experience for BBC Radio on Sonos moving forward. Timing will be shared once we have a realistic idea of when it will be ready.

If you have a BBC station saved in your Sonos favorites, it will still point to the non-functional WMA stream and you may receive an error when attempting to play the stream.  You can correct this by removing the old favorite, searching for the station again, and then creating a new favorite with the working version.

*You can read about chunked HTTP, HLS, and the other competing formats in more detail in this post on the BBC blog.

___

Please keep the discussion on topic and avoid attacking other users.
icon

Best answer by John M 1 October 2015, 22:07

Hi everyone, the update to our public beta is now live, and we are beginning our testing of HLS for the BBC as of today. This will mark the first time BBC streams are made available in HLS through Sonos for a wide audience. Once the beta program concludes, the change will be made available to all Sonos users.

If you’re currently a public beta tester, you already have everything you need to begin receiving HLS. Just update to the latest build using the Update Now prompt in your controller. If you’re not currently a beta tester and would like to help test HLS, you can sign up at http://beta.sonos.com. For all testers, new and old alike, we’re seeking your input on how well the implementation is working, especially in terms of quality and reliability.

After updating to the latest build of the public beta (version 6.0), Sonos will automatically receive an HLS stream provided by the BBC through TuneIn instead of the MP3 versions being provided at the moment. You’ll notice an immediate increase in audio quality, as well as the removal of restrictions on local streaming content for listeners in the UK.

The archived listen again content will not be available in HLS on Sonos with update. Those shows are being recorded in HLS but there's still have some work to be done before the streaming for on demand HLS shows will play through Sonos. Past shows may appear empty or have recorded content in there which gives an error message when it tries to play. We're working on getting the on demand shows playing on Sonos, but wanted to get the direct live streams playing as soon as we could. We are looking to get the listen again content available in a future Sonos release, currently targeted for 2016.

Many of you are also wondering about our long-term plans for the BBC on Sonos. While we don’t have any specific details to share at this moment, we also believe that for many, the BBC is a vital part of daily listening. We’re currently engaged in discussions with the BBC about how we can partner to provide the best possible BBC experience on Sonos.

Edited with latest information 10/20/15
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

928 replies

Thanks for the updates Can you give any indication of when we are likely to see support for the HLS streams? Is it days, weeks, months or longer? Any information would be much appreciated so that we can decide whether to look for alternative solutions that will allow us to access a decent quality and reliable BBC service.
Userlevel 6
Badge +12
There are only 2 alternatives - some Pure radios, and squeezeboxes using LMS.
Run Minimserver on a PC, MAC, various NAS or Raspberry Pi and then point your Sonos at
that . It's easy to set up. And produces new BBC HLS streams flawlessly.
I've got a Synology NAS and this will work for me. Much, much more involved than the supposed plug-n-play that Sonos should be providing but a definite work-around for the more technical people out there. Thanks.
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Thanks, Ken.  I've got Minimserver up and running on a PC and the HLS BBC radio streams are good.  They sound better, a lot better, especially with units in a stereo pair.  There is also much less lag than those stream available through TuneIn.  They are even 'ahead' of the BBC iPlayer Radio service, which surprises me a lot.

As yet, I cannot comment on whether they will be more reliable, but I suspect that as they come directly from the source and not via an aggregation service they should be.  I would say that they have been running for a day without requiring any restarting.  Occasionally they do glitch, but I suspect this is the Sonosnet synchronising itself. The good news is that this happens very quickly and faster than through TuneIn.

Whenever the TuneIn service fails people wrongly, perhaps, complain to Sonos, when the fault is with the aggregation.  Given that the HLS streams are available directly, I fail to see why Sonos bothers with TuneIn.  Apart from no icon I cannot see a problem.   Based on what I have read on the BBC blog, they refuse to divulge the streams' addresses so I'm very pleased that they are available.

Come on Sonos, you are being beaten by a far more flexible and simple service (Minimserver); get these HLS streams properly integrated.  The only downside at the moment is that I need a PC to be running the Minimserver, but I will get this running on a NAS or Rpi.  This also does not solve the lack of on-demand services that full integration of a proper BBC iPlayer radio service should deliver.  TuneIn has some of the streams, but these are generally very out of date.
Userlevel 4
Badge +9
Thanks, Ken.  I've got Minimserver up and running on a PC and the HLS BBC radio streams are good.  They sound better, a lot better, especially with units in a stereo pair.  There is also much less lag than those stream available through TuneIn.  They are even 'ahead' of the BBC iPlayer Radio service, which surprises me a lot.

As yet, I cannot comment on whether they will be more reliable, but I suspect that as they come directly from the source and not via an aggregation service they should be.  I would say that they have been running for a day without requiring any restarting.  Occasionally they do glitch, but I suspect this is the Sonosnet synchronising itself. The good news is that this happens very quickly and faster than through TuneIn.

Whenever the TuneIn service fails people wrongly, perhaps, complain to Sonos, when the fault is with the aggregation.  Given that the HLS streams are available directly, I fail to see why Sonos bothers with TuneIn.  Apart from no icon I cannot see a problem.   Based on what I have read on the BBC blog, they refuse to divulge the streams' addresses so I'm very pleased that they are available.

Come on Sonos, you are being beaten by a far more flexible and simple service (Minimserver); get these HLS streams properly integrated.  The only downside at the moment is that I need a PC to be running the Minimserver, but I will get this running on a NAS or Rpi.  This also does not solve the lack of on-demand services that full integration of a proper BBC iPlayer radio service should deliver.  TuneIn has some of the streams, but these are generally very out of date.

I'm running minimstreamer too, on a NAS, and agree that it's great at serving up the HLS streams to Sonos. . Occasional glitches, but quickly resolved as you say. I don't put those down to Sonosnet though- from the BBC blogs it seems the streams themselves may not be fully reliable yet, and think it is more likely that minimstreamer is running out of data chunks to convert for Sonos to play. I tend to agree with you on Tunein being more trouble than it's worth, but I don't think Sonos actually uses Tunein as an aggregator, if by that you mean the Stations are streamed through Tunein. Received wisdom here on the forums is that Tunein only supplies a directory service to Sonos for station URL lookup and icons. Sonos then streams directly from the station, not through tunein. We have always had the ability to bypass Tunein completely by setting up custom radio stations in the desktop controller. That's how I have always listened to the BBC, to guarantee I was always connected to the highest quality stream. If Sonos supported HLS, we could do that now.
Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Sonos need to create a 'service' for the BBC - something along the lines of Triode's iPlayer plugin for LMS.

Are we missing the obvious . As this thread states this is early days and I'm sure it will all change again. If there was blue tooth access at low cost not via a connect, just like Bose have, then anyone with iPlayer on a tablet smart phone is back in business. I'm sure a $100 bluetooth device based on the Bridge design solves many of the current issues and avoids on going development and support.
Hacks who don't have to worry about licensing/distribution because there is no money in a lawsuit vs. corporations that actually need to follow the law.  It's the same deal with AirSonos.
Userlevel 6
Badge +12

That's a red-herring.  The BBC streams are freely available ('free' being the operative word).  It just requires someone to commit to implementing a solution ... but there's no cash involved (unlike most of the Sonos services), so developing a BBC iPlayer service is probably of little more than zero interest to Sonos.

I'd be happy to be informed otherwise.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I work for a large UK broadcaster and know from experience that implementing any of the BBC's services into a 3rd party system is almost impossible. They have incredibly strict rules, not only around rights (which all broadcasters have) but also their own guidelines which strictly outline every last inch of how their services are distributed including how the user interface looks... it's not just about a free stream unfortunately, it is about cost and with these issues it's usually very large costs, not to the end user directly however, but still large costs. I'm sure Sonos are looking at a solution as this is obviously quite a big deal for us 'end users' in the UK but believe me, it won't be easy and will take a lot of time and negotiation. Note, from the BBC's reaction to the terrible implementation of these new streams, it probably won't ever happen as their answer to everything is use the iPlayer Radio apps or the BBC website which they have full control over.
Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Interesting.

However, the Beeb claim they are working actively with manufacturers and community developers to resolve these issues .... yet, there's little evidence of any progress to implement a solution.

As yet, only Pure and the LMS community developers have produced solutions.

Thank you Jack for bringing some reality/perspective to the conversation.
Userlevel 6
Badge +12

... ah well, I'll just have to tune in to LMS for my favourite listen again material.  An alternative reality and perspective which just works.
Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Free your Sonos - install LMS and the squeeze2upnp application, and away you go!

Oh Brian, will you ever stop shilling for the miserable failure that was Squeeze?
Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Logitech failed - not squeezeboxes and LMS.  

You can praise Sonos to the rooftops when they fix HLS for the BBC streams ... until then, you're not really contributing much.

Put LMS on a win PC, run sq2upnp, listen to BBC listen again in HLS on your Sonos devices.   Simples.
Userlevel 6
Badge +12

More than 8 weeks since the BBC debacle began .... still no news from any manufacturer about updates/fixes.
What a disappointing day it has been – I have been unable to listen the UK national game of cricket on my Sonos system.

I had to dust off an old LW radio to listen to the Test Match Special – come on Sonos are you not embarrassed?

I have recently changed over to SONOS from what was becoming a difficult to use and unreliable Squeezebox system only to find the full set of UK Public Service radio stations unavailable to me on the Sonos   system.

For a product that is selling in the UK not to support UK Radio stations in full is unacceptable.

I have to ask myself why did I spend almost £1000 on this new system?

Come on Sonos, can we please have regular updates on what you are doing to resolve this.  As far as I am concerned this is not TuneIn problem - it is a “Closed Source” Sonos system that I am buying so it is a Sonos problem.

The first update can be a timeline for a solution and a description on what the service will look like.  I can then decide whether the look for another system if necessary and put my my Sonos up on eBay.

I agree - please Sonos, give us some idea on a timeline to resolve.
Userlevel 6
Badge +12
You don't need to look far.  only squeezeboxes and some Pure radios can do what you want.
Badge +3
Hi Stuart, as said in the post at the top of this thread, we don't have a timeline right now.  When we have a realistic idea of when it will be available, we'll share that information with everyone here.  Thank you for your patience.
Userlevel 6
Badge +12
How difficult can it be?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Very
Badge +3
That's a tough question to answer Brian.  It's not trivial, that much is for sure.  I also suspect that it's far more difficult to do it well than it is to simply do it.