Answered

Support for BBC Radio HLS Streams

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

928 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16
I was on the phone to the technical support staff today and they said that Sonos were waiting for tunedin to sort the problem.  So, basically, Sonos are doing absolutely nothing.  Expect a resolution.... never.

Maybe an employee of Sonos would like to deign this thread with their presence and confirm or deny this.

I couldn't agree more, I didn't spend over fifteen hundred pounds to listen to radio. My purchase was for streaming my iTunes library and Playbar for TV with play 1's as SS and connect:amp for music in bathroom. I'll even expand knowing the BBC streams are poor and I didn't buy a radio I brought a wireless multi-room system. And yes I'm UK. It's fair to say the BBC HLS stream is a "Big Issue" and needs fixing but sonos didn't cause the issue and have clearly stated on this thread and one that is now closed that they are working to resolve the HLS streams. So stating that you wish you hadn't brought your sonos system based on the BBC radio is poppycock.
Userlevel 5
Badge +5
So many months later and still no indication on when this can be expected to be fixed. As said often above, not Sonos's fault, BBC's highhanded approach, but yet again feedback being ignored by Sonos and end user experience is terrible. I really don't think Ill end up waiting to the fix, if there ever is one. Just sell off the kit I have and give up on the entire Sonos environment. Pity, its great hardware but software and support is ridiculous. Several years and no realistic Windows support. Months and months and still jerking us around for BBC radio feeds. It's nearly insulting.
Ironically, for the last few days, performance of BBC R4 has been a bit better with fewer dropouts. Until today, when the BBC server maintenance was expected to finish! Now, on the 10th June, getting quite frequent dropouts yet again. Wonder what we're putting this down to now.
Badge +1
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled TuneIn Radio plays fine for a while and then starts breaking up or stops complete.... All other sources including Deezer and local content play without issue. I'm mainly listen to BBC 6Music and Radio 2. This seems to be a fairly recent issue, i.e. the past 2-3 months, and affects all players in the house.

Regards
Liam

good on you
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
In PC Controller, Help, Submit Diagnostics.

Or give Sonos a call when at home with system. They are pretty good
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
So many months later and still no indication on when this can be expected to be fixed. As said often above, not Sonos's fault, BBC's highhanded approach, but yet again feedback being ignored by Sonos and end user experience is terrible. I really don't think Ill end up waiting to the fix, if there ever is one. Just sell off the kit I have and give up on the entire Sonos environment. Pity, its great hardware but software and support is ridiculous. Several years and no realistic Windows support. Months and months and still jerking us around for BBC radio feeds. It's nearly insulting.
Good BUT the problem is you are listening to pretty poor quality MP3 streams and not the excellent HLS AAC streams.

It is the excellent and reliable HLS streams that we need. The MP3 streams are only temporary.
this thread is 4 months old and has gone cold - surely something is happening?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sure - on mobile version go to settings...advanced....submit diagnostic. That will send Sonos all the info on your system and give you a diagnostic number.

I would normally say post here but as big as this thread is it may get lost in shuffle. So I would post a new question thread with your diagnostic number and issue and a Sonos rep. should come on to review. Or if you want maybe faster/easier then you could call Sonos with that diagnostic number.

Best of luck.
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
I was on the phone to the technical support staff today and they said that Sonos were waiting for tunedin to sort the problem.  So, basically, Sonos are doing absolutely nothing.  Expect a resolution.... never.

Maybe an employee of Sonos would like to deign this thread with their presence and confirm or deny this.

Don't get me wrong, I want the BCC issue fixed, and like @Chris sympathise with others. As sonos goes they have been proactive on addressing this issue and clearly stating they are working to resolve it .
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Left off the list minimserver allowing sonos to play the hls streams. A piece of server software just like the other solutions for the other brands listed. That of course should be considered a solution since the others are considered as such. And of course we would like sonos to go one better then them and finish their work to have it done without server software.
Badge
Thank you both for your help I will submit a diagnostic and just drop a note back here with any significant findings.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Sonos isn't particularly the best "communicator".  But those of us who have been here a long time can tell when they are taking an issue seriously vs. canned responses.  They are taking the BBC issue seriously but the fix is not a simple one.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
User695253  O.K. so you sell off your Sonos kit, so just what do you expect to get for it? Neglecting to tell potential buyers of the bbc issue, would be seen as leaving out significant information likely to influence their decision. Then if that is not a problem, what do you replace it with, nothing Roberts I hope?

Left off the list minimserver allowing sonos to play the hls streams. A piece of server software just like the other solutions for the other brands listed. That of course should be considered a solution since the others are considered as such. And of course we would like sonos to go one better then them and finish their work to have it done without server software.
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
"...Their reputation will never recover for me.  I've cancelled buying more kit....." - David Simmons

Sonos were the leaders, I recommended Sonos to dozens of people but I am now terribly embarrassed to have led people into the dead-end that Sonos now is. 

Why Sonos are dragging their feet so badly is a total mystery. In the UK they have thrown away their market lead and they just don't seem to care. Their marketing policy seems to be as short sighted as they customer relations policy of treating us like mushrooms.

Even if they get things working, I doubt I will ever trust such a shambolic, head-in-the-sand company again. They have had very nearly a year to get to grips with a problem that other people solved in a few days yet it took them 10 months to issue something vaguely resembling an apology. 

On top of the BBC fiasco there is no indication that Sonos will EVER cope with hi-res. Excellent hi-res capable competitors' equipment is appearing by the barrow load now yet Sonos expect us to show brand-loyalty and live with yet another work-around to play our hi-res tracks on Sonos. The Sonos user interface is still the best I have seen but I fear that is not enough to save the company.
Badge +3
I've been having the same problem since yesterday with 6Music.
Drop outs between 1 to 10 secs and skipping back a few seconds.

Initially I blamed the extra Play 1 I'd added as a stereo pair yesterday, but I've reverted back to how it was before and still having issues.
Userlevel 6
Badge +13

I guess there are many UK Sonos users who access radio, as well as music 

There are likely 2 gripes: no hls access to high quality BBC feeds, and the fact that the sports commentaries on Radio 5 are geo-locked even for UK listeners.  Unless the BBC fix the mp3 geo-lock, the hls solution is the way to go.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
User695253  O.K. so you sell off your Sonos kit, so just what do you expect to get for it? Neglecting to tell potential buyers of the bbc issue, would be seen as leaving out significant information likely to influence their decision. Then if that is not a problem, what do you replace it with, nothing Roberts I hope?

Why does Logitech and others get credit for a fix because of a third party server software but sonos in turn gets no credit for the exact same solution currently in place. ?? Double standard.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
"...Their reputation will never recover for me.  I've cancelled buying more kit....." - David Simmons

Sonos were the leaders, I recommended Sonos to dozens of people but I am now terribly embarrassed to have led people into the dead-end that Sonos now is. 

Why Sonos are dragging their feet so badly is a total mystery. In the UK they have thrown away their market lead and they just don't seem to care. Their marketing policy seems to be as short sighted as they customer relations policy of treating us like mushrooms.

Even if they get things working, I doubt I will ever trust such a shambolic, head-in-the-sand company again. They have had very nearly a year to get to grips with a problem that other people solved in a few days yet it took them 10 months to issue something vaguely resembling an apology. 

On top of the BBC fiasco there is no indication that Sonos will EVER cope with hi-res. Excellent hi-res capable competitors' equipment is appearing by the barrow load now yet Sonos expect us to show brand-loyalty and live with yet another work-around to play our hi-res tracks on Sonos. The Sonos user interface is still the best I have seen but I fear that is not enough to save the company.

they're too busy applying different paint jobs to the play 1
Badge
Exactly the same symptoms as me. I thought I would wait 24 hours before submitting diagnostics in case the problem goes away. This evening I have had no issues at all. Will see what tomorrow brings.

Can't remember the last time I heard the word 'poppycock'
Userlevel 2

Chris, Logitech should get no credit as they have abandoned the Squeezebox line. Second if you are running Squeezebox players, squeezebox server is hardly a third party server. Squeezebox owners are lucky they have an open system with a community of developers. How long this lasts for them is anybody's guess. Chris I herby give credit to Sonos. Do you feel better now?
Userlevel 2
Badge +1

My how I laughed when that email popped into my inbox. Then i followed the link to see what extra I would get for the additional £51 and my jaw dropped to the floor when I saw all I got was a slightly different paint job.

Get in the sea.
Badge +3
Is yours OK now Nigel? Mine was fine all yesterday.
Userlevel 5
Badge +5

I think the point I would make is that if you have spent a fair amount of money on a Sonos system, and you live in the UK, you're unlikely to still be using your old radio as well. If BBC radio is an important part of your listening, and it is in mine along with Spotify and other internet radio, then it is really annoying to have to go back to the old FM radio to listen. Quite prepared to accept that radio is not important to all, but it is to some. If you live in the UK and listen to radio, then it is highly likely that BBC radio forms part of that listening. Therefore, if someone is buying a Sonos system in anticipation of being able to listen to anything and everything from the BBC, then it seems only fair to warn them that they 'may' be disappointed with their purchase.
Userlevel 6
Badge +13

..... because Sonos sells itself as not requiring a server solution?
Badge +1

Although I don't wish to offend Ryan S, though my info dose not come from Sonos, I would cut them some slack until the schools go back. I to wonder where there priorities are