Answered

Support for BBC Radio HLS Streams

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

928 replies

Badge
Listening to Radio 2 today, constantly dropping out and restarting. On version 6 and favourites deleted and recreated. Ideas? Tx
Badge +3
I was on the phone to the technical support staff today and they said that Sonos were waiting for tunedin to sort the problem.  So, basically, Sonos are doing absolutely nothing.  Expect a resolution.... never.

Maybe an employee of Sonos would like to deign this thread with their presence and confirm or deny this.

Alex, this thread was started by a Sonos employee, and we've outlined our plans in the original post.  

This is all unrelated to the streaming problems which occurred yesterday.  As you can see from the comments by other users in this thread, the BBC had an issue with all streams yesterday, MP3 and HLS, and all devices (not just Sonos) were affected.  That issue has since been resolved at the source.

You should be able to listen to the MP3 streams on your Sonos today (with the caveat about certain live content which is blocked due to rights) and we're not aware of a continuing issue with the streams following yesterday's service interruption.
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
User695253  O.K. so you sell off your Sonos kit, so just what do you expect to get for it? Neglecting to tell potential buyers of the bbc issue, would be seen as leaving out significant information likely to influence their decision. Then if that is not a problem, what do you replace it with, nothing Roberts I hope?

I fully agree with your philosophy but Sonos said, "We do not post timelines or roadmaps for future development. I know that’s what you’re looking for but posting repeatedly for it isn’t going to change the company policy. We are developing support for the BBC HLS threads........."

I suspect that a specific complaint thread will achieve nothing. It may be more effective to make your points in this thread where it stands more of a chance of being seen by people suffering the same problem.
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
Dear Sonos, am going to stick your stuff on eBay. It's going to be expensive but Naim beckons. Piss poor show on your behalf!
That's why I am getting a cheap Gramofon unit (obviously no good as a Naim replacement). IF that dirt cheap unit works satisfactorily, it bodes well for the rest. If it doesn't then maybe the system is best left to mature a while.

Do check out the reviews of course. They should start proliferating soon. Basically they say that the Gramofon is not perfect BUT the sound, value for money and connection are all excellent. Radio and streaming services only at the moment on Gramofon - no NAS support yet.
Userlevel 2
I'm getting the same on BBC radio 4. Dropouts, along with sections of audio repeating themselves. Very strange. Not an isolated event, it happens very frequently.
Userlevel 5
Badge +5
I was on the phone to the technical support staff today and they said that Sonos were waiting for tunedin to sort the problem.  So, basically, Sonos are doing absolutely nothing.  Expect a resolution.... never.

Maybe an employee of Sonos would like to deign this thread with their presence and confirm or deny this.

John, thanks for your response. You're right, we can listen to the MP3 streams. but they are not reliable and do drop out. Yesterday was exceptional, but on most days I experience dropouts.

Also you haven't answered my query as to whether you have advised resellers of Sonos equipment in the UK of the problems with BBC streaming. Can you please tell me whether this has been done?

Many thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
User695253  O.K. so you sell off your Sonos kit, so just what do you expect to get for it? Neglecting to tell potential buyers of the bbc issue, would be seen as leaving out significant information likely to influence their decision. Then if that is not a problem, what do you replace it with, nothing Roberts I hope?

Stuart,
this thread may interest you.  Sonos acknowledged their need to be more open and engaging but it seems that commitment has been forgotten about already:
https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/unresponsive-sonos-support
Userlevel 6
Badge +13
Dear Sonos, am going to stick your stuff on eBay. It's going to be expensive but Naim beckons. Piss poor show on your behalf!
Good luck.
Badge
At least it's not just me. Also you're right I am also getting short sections of audio repeating themselves. Can anyone from Sonos help us please? Tx

Hi John, thanks for the message. As you said your.plans are there. What we don't have though are updates on progress. We're all customers of Sonos and used to enjoy explaining the benefits of your product, but obviously cannot and aren't at the moment. A little customer service and updates, no matter how small will be of benefit to us all.
Userlevel 4
Badge +5

"Sonos are no different from all other manufacturers - there is only one native working solution -  buy a Pure radio (but only certain models).  Other bodge solutions involve running minimserver or LMS on another PC (eg. a Raspi, or laptop, etc).   You'll then get live hls streams (minimserver) and both live/on demand streams (LMS).  Otherwise, you're stuck with the problematical mp3 streams from Tunein)" Brian

Another free solution is VLC media player. That has been able to play the BBC HLS streams right from the start.

JRiver Media Centre can be set up very simply with the HLS steams - but you do have to pay for it.

Also, all(?) the Squeezebox family can play them.

The simplest by far of course is to play  straight from iPlayer. 

There are doubtless other solutions. I dare say you can put a Raspi in each room playing iPlayer and remote control all of them.
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled TuneIn Radio plays fine for a while and then starts breaking up or stops complete.... All other sources including Deezer and local content play without issue. I'm mainly listen to BBC 6Music and Radio 2. This seems to be a fairly recent issue, i.e. the past 2-3 months, and affects all players in the house.

Regards
Liam
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I've been on holiday this week and Radio 4, Radio 2 or Radio 5 Live have been on for about 8 hours Sunday until today. I think I have had 1 drop-out which I linked to a power cut rather than an issue with the streams.

I would be loathe to assume there is a problem beyond your 2 set-ups at this point in time.

Hi, I haven't posted before but noticed I can't even listen to the London marathon this morning on Sonos and this is being broadcast on the bbc TV! A friend has recently asked about purchasing a. Sonos system and I have advised not to currently due to this issue....
Badge +1

***MARTIN**** You know as well as the rest of us here that selling a sonos kit as it is termed, and with holding the knowledge of the ongoing bbc scandal that it is a victim could be seen by many as a reason for a refund 
Userlevel 6
Badge +13
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled TuneIn Radio plays fine for a while and then starts breaking up or stops complete.... All other sources including Deezer and local content play without issue. I'm mainly listen to BBC 6Music and Radio 2. This seems to be a fairly recent issue, i.e. the past 2-3 months, and affects all players in the house.

Regards
Liam

It's a BBC issue with the mp3 streams used by Tunein
Badge
I would really like to agree with you as I am huge Sonos fan but my setup hasn't changed for a couple of years at least. Kit is in the same place, same ISP, same router, music from any other source plays fine. I get a steady 60mbs internet connection and wifi signal is very strong through out the property. I listen to BBC radio daily with no issues up until a couple of days ago. Happy to take any suggestions as to how my setup might be causing this issue but I'm retired after 40 years working in IT and am pretty confident it's not a local issue. Tx.

Wish I'd spoken to you before I purchased last week...!!
Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Not in the UK and not in the US. I don't know about other countries.

It just needs to be described as 'Works as good as new".

How good is that?
Badge +1

Regards
Liam

Brian--The best sticking plaster is called minimserver. It is easy to set up, I use it my self
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I would submit a diagnostic and have Sonos review for any issues.

I believe the criticism levelled at Sonos through some of these posts is unfair. The Sonos system is not meant to be a "radio" but a way of playing music provided through 3rd parties (Spotify, Deezer, Google Music, Tunein etc) providing a subscription (free or paid) or from a source connected to the Sonos system (NAS drive, own stereo components, TV etc).

Sonos should only be responsible for the interface that allows these sources to provide a signal that can be played through its speaker system (or your own stereo components through the Connect unit). It is the providers of the subscription services that should be the subject of the comments raised and not Sonos. Even then these subscription providers can themselves be reliant on other parties (e.g. BBC).

I do not agree that Sonos should necessarily inform resellers about the (partial) lack of one set of radio stations that are actually provided by a third party (Tunein) and are (partly) unavailable due to decisions by the BBC to change the way it streams its stations. It seems strange that people should buy in to a relatively expensive system to listen to just a small range of radio stations. Connecting your television should as a minimum provide access to radio stations (Freeview/Sky/Virgin etc) or purchase a stereo radio unit that can connect to the Sonos system if it is that important.

It is admirable that Sonos have raised the issues and continue to act on their users behalf to get this matter resolved. I am sure that when there is something more concrete to report, they will post such a response. It is pointless reconfirming how often they have chased the 3rd party & they are well aware of the feelings of their users in wanting to get this resolved. Hopefully there will be something positive to report before too much longer.

Article on the Guardian Newspaper's site on the issue:
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/askjack/2015/mar/05/new-internet-radio-listen-bbc-stations
Badge +1

***Martin*** All right then, list your Sonos kit on Ebay, provide the listing number then when the time comes let us all see the feed back
Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Regards
Liam

I use sq2upnp plugin on LMS - even better than minimserver as you get both live and on-demand hls streams.
Badge
Chris, thanks for that. Never done it before, could you point me to how I do it? Many thanks.