Answered

Support for BBC Radio HLS Streams

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

928 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +5
I can get the BBC  "Play it again" through the Tunein app on my portable devices so I can tether this to my Play5. Not ideal as now I have several steps to go through. Very disappointed that the last update from Sonos was 3 weeks ago saying they were only  "in the early planning stages for adding support for HLS". I am holding off on buying 2 more speaker units to go with the 3 and the connect that I have now. I am also considering what other options are available as I am now reluctant to be put in this position again when the BBC move to Mpeg Dash as planned in the future.

It would be useful if Sonos could confirm (or deny) that they are, and will continue to, work with the BBC to ensure a properly engineered, lasting solution to this problem. Sonos? Any collaboration.? Are the BBC co-operating?
There are only 2 alternatives - some Pure radios, and squeezeboxes using LMS.
Hi Ken,  so as far as I can see even if I have installed this on my Nas I need to have the MinimStreamer running from my PC - The second I turn the PC off the stream goes off.  Is there a way of getting the MinimStreamer working on a Nas?  Thanks, Mike
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Install minimserver and then minimstreamer on your NAS, add the playlist file and then add the URLs to Sonos. Simple. There are installation instructions on the minimserver website, totally worth doing, it's great
Ah got it to work 🙂
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
The minimwatch app just enables you to monitor your server and snake adjustments to the setup but you shouldn't need to touch it once running. Great, she's happy, you're happy right!? Haha!
Yep - I couldn't workout how to get the streamer onto the Nas - had it working on the PC - but did it through Minimwatch - as you say a one off - V happy. 🙂
Badge
I can get the BBC  "Play it again" through the Tunein app on my portable devices so I can tether this to my Play5. Not ideal as now I have several steps to go through. Very disappointed that the last update from Sonos was 3 weeks ago saying they were only  "in the early planning stages for adding support for HLS". I am holding off on buying 2 more speaker units to go with the 3 and the connect that I have now. I am also considering what other options are available as I am now reluctant to be put in this position again when the BBC move to Mpeg Dash as planned in the future.

I've only just realised what was happening to my BBC stations. With a due sense of proportion, within the hitherto pampered user-base of Sonos this is an absolute catastrophe for British users. I imagine that very few of us don't use BBC stations for a significant chunk of our listening; I use them lots. The BBC may well be at fault; perhaps Tune-In weren't quick enough on the uptake; but Sonos must take urgent responsibility to throw resources at this debacle to prevent my expensive system being turned into near junk, and the imminent collapse of its British market.
Second Test Match starts today.  Still can't listen to TMS. 

FAO Sonos staff, what's going on?  Why haven't you found a solution to this yet?
Userlevel 2
I've started tweeting @sonossupport on a regular basis asking when it's going to be fixed. It might not do any good but at least I'm making a noise about it being an issue.
We stream BBC Radio 2 at work and I'm having to reset the feed every 2 - 3 minutes at the moment today. I'm going to have to unplug it and go back to a regular radio at this rate.
Userlevel 5
Badge +5
We stream BBC Radio 2 at work and I'm having to reset the feed every 2 - 3 minutes at the moment today. I'm going to have to unplug it and go back to a regular radio at this rate.
Yes, today problems seem distinctly worse - I am trying to play BBC Radio 4 currently and getting breaking up/dropping out after a few minutes playing. Just ridiculous that we can't listen to the national broadcaster on what is supposed to be state of the art equipment.
Userlevel 6
Badge +12
If it's any solace - the hls live streams are also flaky today.

So, it's not just a Sonos problem - it's the awful BBC Audio Factory project to blame.
Userlevel 5
Badge +5
It may not be just a Sonos problem, in fact we know it's not. But Sonos is the mechanism we are using to try to listen to the BBC and if we are unable to do so, then Sonos has a duty to rectify that. I appreciate that Sonos are working towards a proper fix for BBC streaming, but frankly the service is unusable today, with dropouts occurring every couple of minutes, and I am now getting the 'Unable to play Radio4 - station not found' error. We're not in a position where we can wait for the ultimate HLS solution - Sonos should be working with the BBC such that we can listen to BBC radio now!
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Don't worry folks, it's only a small broadcaster with very little money, we should be supportive... oh no wait, it's the UK's national broadcaster paid for by the government and US, the listeners... bit awkward! You wouldn't get this on commercial radio as they wouldn't get advertisers if people couldn't listen! Sort it out BBC, this really is appalling now. Sigh!
Userlevel 6
Badge +12
The problems are affecting all modes of access - Pure radios don't work, Squeezeboxes dropping out - it's affecting both mp3 and hls streams.   

Since the BBC closed down the blog about this fiasco, there's no way to complain, etc.  

A total disgrace. all round.
I have just purchased a PLAY:5 in the last couple of days and as an avid Radio 5 listener, it came as a bit of a shock when the commentary was replaced by the looped rights message.

After many months deliberating and then deciding to take the plunge, I would like to keep my purchase but it is sadly not fit for purpose at the moment - especially with no timelines on when this will be resolved. At the moment, it looks likely I'll be reboxing and organising a courier (at some expense) to take return it to the retailer.
I have just purchased a PLAY:5 in the last couple of days and as an avid Radio 5 listener, it came as a bit of a shock when the commentary was replaced by the looped rights message.

After many months deliberating and then deciding to take the plunge, I would like to keep my purchase but it is sadly not fit for purpose at the moment - especially with no timelines on when this will be resolved. At the moment, it looks likely I'll be reboxing and organising a courier (at some expense) to take return it to the retailer.
Userlevel 5
Badge +5
I agree, Sonos is not fit for purpose at the moment - it would be good to hear from Sonos as to whether they have advised their UK resellers of this, as they will surely otherwise have more disappointed customers. If Sonos have not advised retailers such as John Lewis, Currys, Richer Sounds and so on, then they ought to. Sonos - can you respond please? Have you/do you intend to do this? If not, I think I will.
I've purchased through Amazon and there was no mention of this.

If there had have been then I wouldn't have purchased or at least held off until a solution was found.

The most frustrating thing is the lack of a timeline on resolving this - if it can be resolved. Sadly I wasn't aware of this issue before I purchased but from looking through months of comments on this and other forums, it doesn't look like there is much hope for it being fixed any time soon.

I would say around 60-70% of my sound system use is for BBC stations, and 5 Live in particular. Not much use paying hundreds of pounds for a sound system that can only be used 30% of the time and one that takes the room space of a hi-fi system that would be fully functional.
I have to say, today, playback has been totally seamless the best it has ever been. From other comments it seems that yesterday's issues were down to the BBC and nothing to do with Sonos, they can only reply on the streams the BBC provides. Thankfully things seem to have been fixed for now. 
Userlevel 5
Badge +5
Yes, today things have been more reliable. But we listen to the BBC through Sonos equipment, and these temporary BBC streams are known to be unreliable. I think Sonos needs to be working in partnership with the BBC to ensure that we have a workable solution both pre and post-HLS implementation. The fact that things were so flaky yesterday does not fill me with confidence.
I was on the phone to the technical support staff today and they said that Sonos were waiting for tunedin to sort the problem.  So, basically, Sonos are doing absolutely nothing.  Expect a resolution.... never.

Maybe an employee of Sonos would like to deign this thread with their presence and confirm or deny this.
Badge +3
I was on the phone to the technical support staff today and they said that Sonos were waiting for tunedin to sort the problem.  So, basically, Sonos are doing absolutely nothing.  Expect a resolution.... never.

Maybe an employee of Sonos would like to deign this thread with their presence and confirm or deny this.

Alex, this thread was started by a Sonos employee, and we've outlined our plans in the original post.  

This is all unrelated to the streaming problems which occurred yesterday.  As you can see from the comments by other users in this thread, the BBC had an issue with all streams yesterday, MP3 and HLS, and all devices (not just Sonos) were affected.  That issue has since been resolved at the source.

You should be able to listen to the MP3 streams on your Sonos today (with the caveat about certain live content which is blocked due to rights) and we're not aware of a continuing issue with the streams following yesterday's service interruption.
Userlevel 5
Badge +5

John, thanks for your response. You're right, we can listen to the MP3 streams. but they are not reliable and do drop out. Yesterday was exceptional, but on most days I experience dropouts.

Also you haven't answered my query as to whether you have advised resellers of Sonos equipment in the UK of the problems with BBC streaming. Can you please tell me whether this has been done?

Many thanks!

Hi John, thanks for the message. As you said your.plans are there. What we don't have though are updates on progress. We're all customers of Sonos and used to enjoy explaining the benefits of your product, but obviously cannot and aren't at the moment. A little customer service and updates, no matter how small will be of benefit to us all.