Answered

Support for BBC Radio HLS Streams

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

928 replies

Badge
and I'm the same I can't access the link either
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Sorry guys, I'm a jerk and used the wrong link. It's been fixed above.
Userlevel 1
Got it. All good. Thanks Ryan 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
All the complaining about Sonos that happened on this thread. Updating decade old hardware that some people have to support one of the newest streaming protocols.

What if you purchased a brand new developed (well copied) Denon HEOS and then saw this as your response http://denon-uk.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3784/~/hls-aac-internet-radio-streams.
Badge
All the complaining about Sonos that happened on this thread. Updating decade old hardware that some people have to support one of the newest streaming protocols.

What if you purchased a brand new developed (well copied) Denon HEOS and then saw this as your response http://denon-uk.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3784/~/hls-aac-internet-radio-streams.

I think Chris has an excellent point, and the contrast of Denon's awful response shows that Sonos is taking the issue seriously despite also taking a long time to do it. So I was absolutely delighted to hear from Sonos that this problem will be resolved next month, and that they're working on the i-player issue for next year. Well done Sonos. As someone who's been critical in the past, it's only reasonable that I show my appreciation when they get something right.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Just to say that I've been using the beta since the HLS update came out and the BBC streams have been perfect for me ever since. Feels like I've got my radio back! Thanks to Sonos for the update here, it was a long time coming but is very welcome.
Badge +3
Since getting the HLS streams in the beta I had 1 drop out of about 5 seconds on the first day. My initial thoughts were "great, still not sorted it"

But since then it's been perfect, it could very easily have been my internet connection.

Very happy now, I listen to a lot of 6Music and having only switched over to Sonos earlier this year it's better than ever. Cheers for sorting it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Great news everyone, Sonos version 6.0, containing HLS support is now available for all systems. You can update your devices from a controller under Settings > Online Updates, or by clicking Update Now from the music menu. Once you’ve updated to 6.0 on your system, all of your players will automatically be receiving the HLS streams for BBC stations when you go to play from them. The station names will look the same, but HLS is the default stream now for systems on 6.0 and higher.

Please note that this update contains support for the HLS live streams, but not recorded or “listen again” content. We’re working to get those recorded BBC shows playing on Sonos as well, and are looking to a 2016 release date. We’ll let you know when we have more details to share on that release in the future.

For more details on Sonos version 6.0 please see here: https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/sonos-version-60-available-trueplay-tuning-and-more-6732708

Thanks for your patience while we got this update ready to go, and please let us know if if you have any questions.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Ryan, Thanks for the update. Appreciate all the efforts by the developers and the excellent communication. Look forward to also having the BBC archived material available again in the future.
Userlevel 5
Badge +6
Does this mean that the Sonos Favourite links I setup for the BBC Radio stations years ago will now be receiving in this new format and there's no need to remove and search again?
Userlevel 4
Badge +9
Your favourites point to the old streams so you will have to re-add them
The interruptions to BBC radio streaming appear to me to be worse than before this latest release?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Make sure your hardware is upgraded to 6.0 (go under settings...about my sonos and look to see version controller and each hardware device is on).

If you have favorites saved delete them. Go back into TuneIn and play/re-add back from scratch.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Make sure your hardware is upgraded to 6.0 (go under settings...about my sonos and look to see version controller and each hardware device is on).

If you have favorites saved delete them. Go back into TuneIn and play/re-add back from scratch.

Great steps to start with, and if you're still having trouble we'd love to have you work with our technicians live. Let us know if you have any success with Chris' suggestion, and if you don't I'll be happy to set up a ticket for you to start with. Let us know how it goes, and please submit a diagnostic from your Sonos system and reply back with your confirmation number if you do have trouble still.

Thanks
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Brilliant! Thank you SONOS, I wish that developments weren't so glacially slow, but I am happy now that we have arrived and BBC Radio is working reliably.
Badge
Thank you for listening to your customers Sonos (not all companies are doing this). Although it is early days it looks like I can switch the Raspberry pi off as playback has been super reliable since the update to HLS.
Userlevel 2
Although it is early days it looks like I can switch the Raspberry pi off as playback has been super reliable since the update to HLS.

After running the Beta software for a few weeks then seeing the Public version released, I am coming to the same conclusion. Such a shame that it took so long to implement but at least those of us who did master alternative solutions were not quite so inconvenienced. It's good to have higher quality streams on Sonos, no dropouts and reliable alarms again. Now all we need is 'Listen Again' on demand again (I know, I know .... I'm just TOO impatient)

Anyone want a second hand RasPi? 🙂
Userlevel 6
Badge +13
BBC now offers radio streams in DASH (both live and listen again).

Anyone using their Sonos as a squeezelite player can get these streams by updating the iplayer plugin.

Happy listening.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Has something changed? I just tried one of the listen again links and it works! (archers omnibus if it matters)

Edit after some time with tcpdump.

Looks like BBC have switched back to non-HLS for listen again content. It ends up streaming something like

http://open.live.bbc.co.uk//mediaselector/5/redir/version/2.0/mediaset/audio-nondrm-download/proto/http/vpid/p039tszj.mp3 for the 01/12/2015 episode of the archers
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Has something changed? I just tried one of the listen again links and it works! (archers omnibus if it matters)

Edit after some time with tcpdump.

Looks like BBC have switched back to non-HLS for listen again content. It ends up streaming something like

http://open.live.bbc.co.uk//mediaselector/5/redir/version/2.0/mediaset/audio-nondrm-download/proto/http/vpid/p039tszj.mp3 for the 01/12/2015 episode of the archers

For the shows that have the MP3 format streams they'll absolutely show on Sonos. Hopefully they do this with more shows while we get the HLS streaming for on demand shows. Thanks for sharing.
Userlevel 2
Badge
So have the bbc readded mp3 streams? as the archers hasn't worked for months on listen again.

All the hls-only listen again shows were showing up but then gave an error when you tried to play them.

There is no visible indication of if a show is mp3 or hls so do we just have to try them and see if they work now?

Just trying to understand if this is a fix the bbc have applied, tunein have applied or something sonos have done.

More comms from both sides would be good!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
So have the bbc readded mp3 streams? as the archers hasn't worked for months on listen again.

All the hls-only listen again shows were showing up but then gave an error when you tried to play them.

There is no visible indication of if a show is mp3 or hls so do we just have to try them and see if they work now?

Just trying to understand if this is a fix the bbc have applied, tunein have applied or something sonos have done.

More comms from both sides would be good!

The HLS shows that were showing and unplayable should now be addressed. We were working to make recorded stations which wouldn't play not show instead of offering a non-working stream. Have you noticed some shows which you try to play and they don't work?

As to this show working now, it would be a change that's been done on the BBC end of things. What would have happened is that they decided to record the stream of that show in an MP3 format, instead of the HLS most are streamed in. That content would then be shared with TuneIn and automatically show up in your Sonos players. That process simply comes down to the players displaying what streams are provided by TuneIn, and that they're capable of playing.

This may be a larger shift on their end, or it might just be specific to the one show. We'll look into it, but which shows will show in this was is pretty dependent on the way they're going to record them. Thanks for sharing.
Just want to say that the changes for the BBC this year and the listen again coming 2016 is all fantastic news! Improved communication has been amazing in the support as well + beta goodness.... Good work sonos
Badge
Listening to Radio 2 today, constantly dropping out and restarting. On version 6 and favourites deleted and recreated. Ideas? Tx
Userlevel 2
I'm getting the same on BBC radio 4. Dropouts, along with sections of audio repeating themselves. Very strange. Not an isolated event, it happens very frequently.