Answered

Support for BBC Radio HLS Streams

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

928 replies

Tried deleting and re-adding bbc radio stations with no success all streams broadcasting an automated message saying no longer available
Userlevel 1
Got it. All good. Thanks Ryan 🙂
Userlevel 1
Badge
Just to say that I've been using the beta since the HLS update came out and the BBC streams have been perfect for me ever since. Feels like I've got my radio back! Thanks to Sonos for the update here, it was a long time coming but is very welcome.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Great news everyone, Sonos version 6.0, containing HLS support is now available for all systems. You can update your devices from a controller under Settings > Online Updates, or by clicking Update Now from the music menu. Once you’ve updated to 6.0 on your system, all of your players will automatically be receiving the HLS streams for BBC stations when you go to play from them. The station names will look the same, but HLS is the default stream now for systems on 6.0 and higher.

Please note that this update contains support for the HLS live streams, but not recorded or “listen again” content. We’re working to get those recorded BBC shows playing on Sonos as well, and are looking to a 2016 release date. We’ll let you know when we have more details to share on that release in the future.

For more details on Sonos version 6.0 please see here: https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/sonos-version-60-available-trueplay-tuning-and-more-6732708

Thanks for your patience while we got this update ready to go, and please let us know if if you have any questions.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Ryan, Thanks for the update. Appreciate all the efforts by the developers and the excellent communication. Look forward to also having the BBC archived material available again in the future.
Userlevel 5
Badge +6
Does this mean that the Sonos Favourite links I setup for the BBC Radio stations years ago will now be receiving in this new format and there's no need to remove and search again?
Userlevel 4
Badge +9
Your favourites point to the old streams so you will have to re-add them
Userlevel 5
Badge +5
We stream BBC Radio 2 at work and I'm having to reset the feed every 2 - 3 minutes at the moment today. I'm going to have to unplug it and go back to a regular radio at this rate.
Yes, today problems seem distinctly worse - I am trying to play BBC Radio 4 currently and getting breaking up/dropping out after a few minutes playing. Just ridiculous that we can't listen to the national broadcaster on what is supposed to be state of the art equipment.
Userlevel 6
Badge +13
I'd like to know if new products have this problem and where it says on the box "internet radio except for the BBC". I wouldn't like to be a new customer let down in this fashion.
For most radio streams I find mp3 perfectly adequate - my hearing is also pretty flaky these days, so really it doesn't matter much to me!   What I find more annoying is the reliability of the mp3 streams ....

And, 99% of our radio use is via squeezeboxes, so we can choose between mp3 or HLS, live or on-demand.  Sonos has a lot to do to catch up.
Userlevel 6
Badge +13
We stream BBC Radio 2 at work and I'm having to reset the feed every 2 - 3 minutes at the moment today. I'm going to have to unplug it and go back to a regular radio at this rate.
If it's any solace - the hls live streams are also flaky today.

So, it's not just a Sonos problem - it's the awful BBC Audio Factory project to blame.
Userlevel 6
Badge +13
I’d like to take a few moments to respond to some of the recent discussion that’s taken place in comments in this thread, and add some additional context to the email from our CEO which was shared earlier this week.

The timing of our work on HLS for the BBC and the Apple Music announcement is coincidental. We’d already committed to development and begun work on HLS for the BBC prior to Apple’s unveiling of Apple Music.  Priority for HLS development has not changed as a result of Apple Music, it’s our plan to develop a fix for the BBC issue using HLS first.

HLS is not a standard, so the form of it in use now for MLB isn’t suitable for direct comparison. The work being done for BBC streaming is not related to that implementation.  MLB was not rushed through development, it was first requested long before the work could fit into our schedule and be fully completed and released.

We acknowledge that we’ve made mistakes in how we’ve addressed this issue, and in how we’ve communicated our progress.  There are many factors that have contributed to this situation, but the UK region is not one of them.  I want to make it absolutely clear - we have not prioritized HLS lower than other work due to the fact that this problem primarily affects Sonos customers in the UK.

and Pure had it sussed one week after the BBC switched to HLS
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Make sure your hardware is upgraded to 6.0 (go under settings...about my sonos and look to see version controller and each hardware device is on).

If you have favorites saved delete them. Go back into TuneIn and play/re-add back from scratch.

Great steps to start with, and if you're still having trouble we'd love to have you work with our technicians live. Let us know if you have any success with Chris' suggestion, and if you don't I'll be happy to set up a ticket for you to start with. Let us know how it goes, and please submit a diagnostic from your Sonos system and reply back with your confirmation number if you do have trouble still.

Thanks
Userlevel 5
Badge +5
It may not be just a Sonos problem, in fact we know it's not. But Sonos is the mechanism we are using to try to listen to the BBC and if we are unable to do so, then Sonos has a duty to rectify that. I appreciate that Sonos are working towards a proper fix for BBC streaming, but frankly the service is unusable today, with dropouts occurring every couple of minutes, and I am now getting the 'Unable to play Radio4 - station not found' error. We're not in a position where we can wait for the ultimate HLS solution - Sonos should be working with the BBC such that we can listen to BBC radio now!
Userlevel 1
So many months later and still no indication on when this can be expected to be fixed. As said often above, not Sonos's fault, BBC's highhanded approach, but yet again feedback being ignored by Sonos and end user experience is terrible. I really don't think Ill end up waiting to the fix, if there ever is one. Just sell off the kit I have and give up on the entire Sonos environment. Pity, its great hardware but software and support is ridiculous. Several years and no realistic Windows support. Months and months and still jerking us around for BBC radio feeds. It's nearly insulting.
Badge +1
I’d like to take a few moments to respond to some of the recent discussion that’s taken place in comments in this thread, and add some additional context to the email from our CEO which was shared earlier this week.

The timing of our work on HLS for the BBC and the Apple Music announcement is coincidental. We’d already committed to development and begun work on HLS for the BBC prior to Apple’s unveiling of Apple Music.  Priority for HLS development has not changed as a result of Apple Music, it’s our plan to develop a fix for the BBC issue using HLS first.

HLS is not a standard, so the form of it in use now for MLB isn’t suitable for direct comparison. The work being done for BBC streaming is not related to that implementation.  MLB was not rushed through development, it was first requested long before the work could fit into our schedule and be fully completed and released.

We acknowledge that we’ve made mistakes in how we’ve addressed this issue, and in how we’ve communicated our progress.  There are many factors that have contributed to this situation, but the UK region is not one of them.  I want to make it absolutely clear - we have not prioritized HLS lower than other work due to the fact that this problem primarily affects Sonos customers in the UK.

Brian-I'd guess that you have been reading some thing like this, http://www.radio-now.co.uk/pure-one-flow-review.htm

Or hardly a surprise, given that Apple are a shareholder in pure's parent company called Imagination Technologies
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Brilliant! Thank you SONOS, I wish that developments weren't so glacially slow, but I am happy now that we have arrived and BBC Radio is working reliably.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Don't worry folks, it's only a small broadcaster with very little money, we should be supportive... oh no wait, it's the UK's national broadcaster paid for by the government and US, the listeners... bit awkward! You wouldn't get this on commercial radio as they wouldn't get advertisers if people couldn't listen! Sort it out BBC, this really is appalling now. Sigh!
Badge +1
User695253  O.K. so you sell off your Sonos kit, so just what do you expect to get for it? Neglecting to tell potential buyers of the bbc issue, would be seen as leaving out significant information likely to influence their decision. Then if that is not a problem, what do you replace it with, nothing Roberts I hope?
Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Not only that - I have a Pure one Flow.  It works but the user interface is very clumsy (and it's slow to connect, etc.)   Pure's on-demand implementation is awful.   Sound quality is just about acceptable.  Build finish is good.

The Pure connect app is also useless - you can only stream from the device to the radio (as a speaker).  Switch off the app and the stream stops.  Pointless.
Userlevel 6
Badge +13
The problems are affecting all modes of access - Pure radios don't work, Squeezeboxes dropping out - it's affecting both mp3 and hls streams.   

Since the BBC closed down the blog about this fiasco, there's no way to complain, etc.  

A total disgrace. all round.
Userlevel 5
Badge +5
So many months later and still no indication on when this can be expected to be fixed. As said often above, not Sonos's fault, BBC's highhanded approach, but yet again feedback being ignored by Sonos and end user experience is terrible. I really don't think Ill end up waiting to the fix, if there ever is one. Just sell off the kit I have and give up on the entire Sonos environment. Pity, its great hardware but software and support is ridiculous. Several years and no realistic Windows support. Months and months and still jerking us around for BBC radio feeds. It's nearly insulting.
I do have every sympathy with this. The lack of information from Sonos is very poor. I tweeted Jon MacFarlane twice - no reply, no acknowledgement even, that there is an issue. such a pity that Sonos feel that the best way of dealing with the BBC issue is to keep their customers in the dark.
Badge +1

Brian-So really Pure's one week solution, "could do better', or "needs to try harder"
Userlevel 2
Although it is early days it looks like I can switch the Raspberry pi off as playback has been super reliable since the update to HLS.

After running the Beta software for a few weeks then seeing the Public version released, I am coming to the same conclusion. Such a shame that it took so long to implement but at least those of us who did master alternative solutions were not quite so inconvenienced. It's good to have higher quality streams on Sonos, no dropouts and reliable alarms again. Now all we need is 'Listen Again' on demand again (I know, I know .... I'm just TOO impatient)

Anyone want a second hand RasPi? 🙂
I have just purchased a PLAY:5 in the last couple of days and as an avid Radio 5 listener, it came as a bit of a shock when the commentary was replaced by the looped rights message.

After many months deliberating and then deciding to take the plunge, I would like to keep my purchase but it is sadly not fit for purpose at the moment - especially with no timelines on when this will be resolved. At the moment, it looks likely I'll be reboxing and organising a courier (at some expense) to take return it to the retailer.
Userlevel 1
User695253  O.K. so you sell off your Sonos kit, so just what do you expect to get for it? Neglecting to tell potential buyers of the bbc issue, would be seen as leaving out significant information likely to influence their decision. Then if that is not a problem, what do you replace it with, nothing Roberts I hope?

Thank you for your reply, your opinion is important to us, please be patient while we work on a response.