Answered

Support for BBC Radio HLS Streams

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

928 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12
I agree - please Sonos, give us some idea on a timeline to resolve.
Have a look at the LMS iplayer plugin - that's how to do it well, and it works.
The LMS plugin, being done by an individual in his/her basement, has the luxury of being able to bypass any licensing/distribution/DRM issues, which a large corporation like Sonos cannot do without the risk of litigation.
Userlevel 6
Badge +12
I assumed we were talking about the software implementation - not the marketing issues.  In any event, the squeezebox community has the imprimatur of the BBC dept. running the Audio Factory.

You are curiously snobbishly dismissive of the efforts of others.
Userlevel 6
Badge +12
I assumed we were discussing the firmware/software issues - not marketing. etc.

In any event, the squeezebox community has the imprimatur of the BBC outfit running the Audio Factory project.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
He is saying a person in the squeezebox community is free to copy codecs and use others code with no legal ramifiications.... Which sonos can not. Squeezebox is transcoding via plugin. Sonos can do now with a transcoding server (but that is considered an hack... When squeezebox is nothing but a hack)
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
How well does squeezebox work without a transcoding server ?
@Brian,

Licensing/distribution/DRM issues are software/firmware issues, they have nothing to do with marketing.  Geo blocks for distribution, licensing of codecs, DRM issues, they are all software related.
Userlevel 6
Badge +12
You are deliberately obfuscating the issue - but then - the streams are AAC which are widely used in the audio community.  The BBC openly publishes the UK and non-UK stream urls.  They are just wrapped in HLS - probably to be replaced later by DASH. 

Squeezeboxes depend on the LMS server, otherwise they are in the same position of all other players (stuffed) apart from Pure who somehow are the curious exception.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If you like the Lms hack and consider it a gold standard why don't you run Lms to your Sonos like a squeeze player and use it the same.
Userlevel 6
Badge +12
You are preaching to the converted ... already done.

But, it's hardly a solution for all Sonos users. who are stuck with the unreliable BBC mp3 live streams.  And UK users can't even get the UK only content such as live sports commentaries. (which is where these comments originated!).
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I understand frustration part and sorry if I come off wrong. I just get irritated when people compare that squeezebox already fixed. I used squeezebox for years and had nothing but troubles that were not fixable. So coming from that I am very dismissive of it. But what does make squeezebox populist is that running transcoding software by nature makes it ver flexible. So I would very well expect squeezebox to have enthusiasts able to fix a transcoding issue immediately. I don't expect Sonos who is a fundamentally entirely difference to type of system to have a quick fix that has to be a hardware firmware fix. It is a very different circumstance.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I agree. The "we will let you know" is tending to drag a bit. You would think by now they could go a little further.
Userlevel 6
Badge +12
I note you gave up on Squeezeboxes some time ago - maybe it's time to revisit ?  I've had few issues with a Raspi server and a variety of players.  And, as you say. you can even turn the Sonos into a sb player!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If I ever want to use Lms server I would just hook my old squeezebox to an input on my connect:amp. I have no use though for it currently.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I have a squeezebox Duo.

I have 1 Connect:amp, but have 3 Connect and a Play:5 all with inputs.  Well in addition to 4 Play:1's, 3 Play:3's, a Playbar, a Sub
Userlevel 6
Badge +12
Well, if you want BBC hls for live and listen again you're pretty much stuck with a Sonos solution - hope they deliver!

I just have a Play1, which I quite like.  But, my ears are so shot that mp3 is fine for me!
Userlevel 6
Badge +12
Nothing.  Even if you get an mp3 stream for it, then the live commentary content will be 'rights restricted' even in the UK.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Alex. What Sonos devices and controller devices are you using.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I can get the BBC  "Play it again" through the Tunein app on my portable devices so I can tether this to my Play5. Not ideal as now I have several steps to go through. Very disappointed that the last update from Sonos was 3 weeks ago saying they were only  "in the early planning stages for adding support for HLS". I am holding off on buying 2 more speaker units to go with the 3 and the connect that I have now. I am also considering what other options are available as I am now reluctant to be put in this position again when the BBC move to Mpeg Dash as planned in the future.
Alex. What Sonos devices and controller devices are you using.
Connect Amps and the app on android devices. 🙂
I can get the BBC  "Play it again" through the Tunein app on my portable devices so I can tether this to my Play5. Not ideal as now I have several steps to go through. Very disappointed that the last update from Sonos was 3 weeks ago saying they were only  "in the early planning stages for adding support for HLS". I am holding off on buying 2 more speaker units to go with the 3 and the connect that I have now. I am also considering what other options are available as I am now reluctant to be put in this position again when the BBC move to Mpeg Dash as planned in the future.

Yeah, Sonos are painfully slow at sorting stuff.  Have they even managed a windows phone app yet?  That's been years in development.  I'm not holding my breath for them to ever fix this radio problem.  It's disappointing, especially considering how much the charge for everything.  If I had my time again I'm not convinced I'd go with Sonos now I can't listen to Test Match Special.
Userlevel 6
Badge +12

You could get a Pure One Flow - this has a line out.

It has a primitive user interface - but does get HLS streams
Userlevel 1

Sonos needs to sort it. I have put a review on the John Lewis website warning potential sonos buyers that they will be unable to listen to the full spectrum of our national broadcaster's radio stations. Similar warnings on other retailers websites may apply pressure.

Yeah I can plug other hardware into my Sonos, but why should I have to spend money on a radio when that's one of the reason's I bought Sonos in the first place?  It's worked great for 3 years, but this is just unacceptable,  the worst thing about it is that Sonos are probably going to do sweet fa about it.
Userlevel 1
Badge

Agree that the problem originated with the BBC lack of proper communication about the change specs but now it is a done deal they aren't going to provide a solution for secondary users. My issue is that this happened months ago and we are not hearing anything from Sonos. Even an update saying "we know how to fix it and are still working on it thanks for your patience" would help. Right now with the dead silence i am assuming they have no clue how to fix it and am therefore reluctant to buy or recommend any more of their equipment, especially as the BBC according to their blog are planning a change to the streams again down the road.