Support (and connection?) ending for WD MyCloud OS3 devices from April 15 2022

• 15 January 2022
  • 6 replies

So, WD have been sending emails saying support is ending for their MyCloud for the past few month with this line in it:

After April 15, 2022, your device will no longer receive remote access, security updates, or technical support.

I’m guessing that remote access means that I won’t be able to access my music libraries stored on it via my Sonos system? If it helps, both my WD and Sonos devices are connected to the same router. Any ideas?

WD said they would be sending a discount voucher this month, but the devices on offer come with way more storage than I need and also way more than I want to spend on a new device that I don’t really need to buy as the current one was working fine. I swear manufactures do this just to get more revenue for themselves. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7

Remote access is for when you are not on your local network. As the WD and Sonos are both on your local network, Sonos will still be able to access your music libraries stored on them.

The following taken from pcmag.com

If you own a Western Digital storage device running My Cloud OS 3, support is set to end and your device will only be accessible locally.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

When WD did that to me on my older drive they also stopped security updates. I let it run for a while, after tweaking my firewall to keep it off the Internet but finally decided it was just too out of date and parted it out.

I replaced mine with a Raspberry Pi, not too hard and can even still connect to the hard drive I removed from the WD using a $15 SATA- USB cable. SMB v1 NAS for Sonos

I suggest you start thinking of a replacement for your WD too, if not my way then from a NAS seller with better support policies.

The good news is if you are up to date and on S2 firmware in your Sonos you don’t even have to enable SMB v1 any longer. I think Sonos S1 systems still do.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Remote access is for when you are not on your local network. As the WD and Sonos are both on your local network, Sonos will still be able to access your music libraries stored on them.

If you own a Western Digital storage device running My Cloud OS 3, support is set to end and your device will only be accessible locally.

I think WD Cloud support was implemented as a Sonos Music Service, so in that case remote access to the WD would be required for Sonos to use it. However I have never use WD Cloud. Plex for example requires remote access for Sonos integration.

Userlevel 7

I think WD Cloud support was implemented as a Sonos Music Service, so in that case remote access to the WD would be required for Sonos to use it. However I have never use WD Cloud. Plex for example requires remote access for Sonos integration.

Ah yes, my bad. I can see a My Cloud Home music service in sonos now, so that likely uses the remote access hence the emphasis by the OP.

Badge +20

To the OP, likewise I have an old MyCloud NAS. Never used the remote facility, the drive will continue to run until such time the power supply or the hard drive fails.

Mine just shares music rips so no loss and the drive is backed up anyway and will just hang the backup drive off the router when the time comes. The backup drive is also backed up…

No need to do anything or spend any money. The offer from WD is pathetic, I also only need a max of 1TB but the offer is for much more than I need, want or would consider spending.

Thanks guys. 

I’m much like Billy, although we did used to use the remote facility until we got Spotify. We stuck with Deezer after the free Sonos trial and didn’t realise how much more was in Spotify until later. 

I backed up mine for the first time a few months ago. I don’t think I’d touched it since I installed it otherwise!

My Sonos system is S1, bar a Roam on S2. Hopefully that won’t cause a problem down the track.

Yep. the WD offer is pretty poor. If I had to get another NAS drive, it wouldn’t be theirs. With the rise in Cloud services since I bought it, that’d be the way to go. No upgrade issues!