Answered

Streaming service in other countries

• 3 February 2022
  • 4 replies

Hi,

I live in Hong Kong, and I have an active subscription with NetEase Cloud music 网易云音乐, and Youtube Music. 

I have tried to set my profile location to China, to eventually add that music service to my account. But then now I could not use Youtube music. 

I have to pick either Youtube music or NetEase Cloud music. But I use both. Any workaround other than keep switching my profile location? This might be a request to the Sonos Team. Is it possible to allow NetEase Cloud music in Hong Kong? Or the other way around Youtube music in China? 

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 3 February 2022, 10:12

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Sonos would offer services in locations that they are directed to, or allowed to, as determined by the legal requirements from each streaming company. If you feel as though both streamers should be in your location, you should start by petitioning the company that isn’t, to let them know that they need to instruct Sonos differently. 

@Airgetlam  

Do you mean I should approach NetEase Cloud music instead of Sonos to allow Sonos to stream in my location?

Strange, Hong Kong is in China thou. 

Yes. That’s exactly what I mean. When Sonos sets up a streaming partner, they are told by that partner what areas they are allowed to offer the stream in. It is entirely up to that streaming company. Sonos has no free will. 

As to Hong Kong being part of China, I would guess there are still outstanding laws that govern some of that, but I don’t work for either the streamers involved, or for Sonos. Sonos allows the regions as specified in their agreement with NetEase. If NetEase wants to change the regions that they allow Sonos to stream in, they need to tell Sonos. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Since Hong Kong is China, I think the problem is Youtube not working in China…..