Answered

Streaming movies from the Sonos

• 6 December 2015
  • 7 replies

Im new to the Sonos products. Just got one today and love it. But disappointed to see that I can't watch Netflix through them. Anyway to use my Sonos to stream netflix?
icon

Best answer by CapnLes 6 December 2015, 10:27

Ahh, OK, well, Sonos is an eco system with each different speaker part of the whole system and each speaker has it own function. I use the PlayBar to watch and hear netflix on my TV. Your Play:1s are mainly for music and can be used as the surrounds with the PlayBar for 5.1 Now, that being all said there are some work arounds. How do you watch Netflix now and how do you want to use your Play:1s as part of that?
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Hi Josh Samuel,

Welcome to the Sonos Community

What Sonos gear do you have? I have several ways that I watch Neflix with my Sonos speakers.
I have the Sonos play 1. Just got the duo home kit and really hoping i can get it to work! any thoughts would definitely help!
Sorry I actually have the 2 play:s1
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Ahh, OK, well, Sonos is an eco system with each different speaker part of the whole system and each speaker has it own function. I use the PlayBar to watch and hear netflix on my TV. Your Play:1s are mainly for music and can be used as the surrounds with the PlayBar for 5.1 Now, that being all said there are some work arounds. How do you watch Netflix now and how do you want to use your Play:1s as part of that?
I normally watch my Netflix on my Mac book and/or use an HDMI cord to connect it to my tv. I was really hoping to use them as a speaker for when I watch Netflix through the Mac or tv.
Josh Samuel,

PLAY:1 is not designed to accept audio input from external devices. You would need a SONOS unit, such as a CONNECT, PLAY:5 or CONNECT:AMP. These units offer an analog audio "Line-In". Otherwise you would need a PLAYBAR.

If you dig around, you can find some programs that will set up a streaming service on your computer, but there is usually a long latency associated with these programs making them impractical for use while watching video.
i guess i'm in the same boat. guess we should have all done more work to understand what we were getting (seamless music, not necessary seamless audio).

so - any other options out there that has some of the same functionality that sonos does, but able to play across a wider spectrum of devices?

amazon echo? or does that have the same issues? i'm not an audiophile, and am more interested in being playing music through devices by streaming / casting / BT through phone AND laptop.

thanks!