Streaming iTunes music to Playbar

Current setup:
Sony TV KDL-55W900A connected to Sonos Playbar via optical. AppleTV (3rd gen) connected to TV via HDMI.

Question: Is there a way to play music from my iTunes system WITHOUT having the TV turned on? Naturally this would be solved if Sonos had Airplay functionality, but for now I really prefer the user interface of iTunes over the Sonos controller. Everything works great if the TV is on, but I really don't think I should have to have the TV on to play my music from iTunes. Is there a setting I'm missing somewhere that would allow this with the equipment/connections I currently have??

Right now it's looking like the way to go might be to get a 2 in-->1 out optical splitter. I have seem similar topics here in the forum, but none that I have found are quite specific to my question. If a splitter is the way to go, is there a clear favorite? Is it automatic or does it need to be switched in order to work?

Thanks for any and all input!

4 replies

No. In order to get rather music from the Apple TV to the PLAYBAR, the TV must be on.

That being said, if your music is stored on a hard drive on a Mac or PC, or even an NAS, then you could point the Sonos controller at it, and play the music across the Wi-Fi connection, rather than the optical connection.
Thanks Airgetlam. The music is all stored on a network hard drive, so it plays just fine wirelessly as Sonos originally intended. I just hate the Sonos music controller and really hope that Airplay 2 is available as an update to my existing hardware. This way I can use iTunes as it is a far more robust way to control my library.
We've been told that Airplay 2 will be coming this year. Sonos tends not to give dates, something that is completely understandable given that Apple doesn't seem to have nailed down the API for Airplay 2 yet. So if you have patience, I think you'll see it before year end., given you have the correct hardware. The only one they've confirmed so far is the Sonos One as being Airplay 2 compatible, without actually ruling out any other speakers.
Badge
You can use this https://github.com/philippe44/AirConnect/, it offers an AirPlay interface to all Sonos players

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings