Answered

Stream from PC to Sonos on a different WIFI network

• 14 August 2018
  • 6 replies

Hi All!

First time caller, new user. I installed a Sonos One speaker at my family's beach house and I would like to stream music from my PC back home. Is that possible? I currently use a system called Muzecast to stream directly from my PC to my Android phone but that is not a listed streaming service.

Thanks in advance!
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 15 August 2018, 03:55

No, the Sonos software doesn't allow this.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

No, the Sonos software doesn't allow this.
Userlevel 4
Badge +11
Would it be possible using Plex? I have noticed that Plex has some kind of Sonos integration, but I haven't played with it yet.
Thank you, all. I hope there may be a software update in the future that allows for this function! I may look into the Plex option as I have been seriously considering it as a way to manage my movie collection.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Thank you, all. I hope there may be a software update in the future that allows for this function! I may look into the Plex option as I have been seriously considering it as a way to manage my movie collection.

I wouldn't count on there being a software upgrade in this area anytime soon. The market is definitely moving away from local libraries towards music services.

I would definitely look into plex as possible solution. I more lowgrade solution would be to move your music collection to a portable hard drive that you can carry with you between homes. You wouldn't even necessarily need a PC or laptop at the beach as a lot of routers have USB ports where you can attach a drive that Sonos would be able to read from .
That's an interesting thought. I don't have a PC down there but I believe my G router does have USB inputs. I may try that as an option.

Thanks! This is a great community forum!
Userlevel 4
Badge +11
As an update to this I can play files from a friends plex server on my Sonos system. I haven't tested quality comparisons etc but it physically works - I am playing music from his computer which is about 100 miles away.