Answered

Stream audio from my ipad or android device

• 5 April 2020
  • 9 replies

Hi is there a way to stream audio that is playing on my MAC, Ipad or Android device to Sonos - if Sonos doesn’t support the music services (EG: Soundcloud private links or Instagram Live) there is not easy way to play it through your Sonos system - seems like a much needed product feature.

icon

Best answer by nik9669a 5 April 2020, 20:52

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

If cost is an issue, a quick search on Amazon shows lots of Bluetooth switchable tx/rx 3.5mm devices for under £20 each. Will work with Gen 1 and Gen 2 Play:5’s. I agree a One SL keeps things in the Sonos family. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

If a Play:5 gen 1 yes you could do a Bluetooth transmitter or Airport Express…. but by the time you do that you may as well just by a Sonos One SL for about $120 and have a full bridge device to do everything you want.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Use the Aux input on the Play:5. Connect the source to that, either directlyor use a set of Bluetooth transmitter/receiver. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

You just need one of the above then you can group and stream to older units.

But yes - that is what you need

A Sonos SL is the cheapest device to get the capability.   If you have older units you should be able to get 30% off a Sonos SL thus making it $129

Is your Play:5 a gen1 ?   A gen2 one would work (came out in 2015)

Mix of things. Play 1, Play 5, connect amps and play 3. All older generations ranging from 2011 to 2015. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

What kit do you have?

What if i don’t - surely there is a way to support customers who don’t have the latest hardware?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

as long as you have one of below Sonos devices you can send Airplay2 from apple device and can group with older Sonos devices to play to those as well.

• Beam
  • Amp
  • Sonos One
  • Playbase
  • Play:5 (second generation)
  • SYMFONISK
  • Move
  • One SL
  • Port
Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Mac and iPad can use Airplay 2, assume you have modern enough Sonos gear that supports Airplay.