Answered

Stereo listening.

• 14 October 2019
  • 12 replies

Have 1 beam, 1 sub-woofer and 1 play5. How can I listen music without buying another expensive unit. Sonos DID NOT answer my question. Thanks.

icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 17 October 2019, 23:15

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

If you want decent stereo separation it tends to require two identical speakers so I am not sure there is an answer to your question. 

Can you elaborate on your question?    Both the Beam and Play:5 can stream audio from a service or play from a local libarly.  The Beam can also be connected to your TV, while the play:5 has an aux input.  The Sub can bond with either of your other speakers for added bass in that room.

Sounds like you were getting at something different, but not exactly sure what.  Where you wanting to form a stereo pair with the Beam and play:5 or something?  That isn’t possble.  The speakers need to be of like kind to stereo pair.  The Beam already does play stereo since it contain left, right, and center speakers.

Hello John and Danny

So sorry for answering so late...and thank you very much for taking time for your explanation.

I am a bit disappointed to read that I must purchase ANOTHER unit to be able to listen in stereo. Is it worth? Is there a big difference?

Best.

Francis

I personally don’t own a pair of play:5s so can’t answer for that case specifically.  I do have several pairs of play:1/Sonos Ones and the stereo pair is defnitely worth it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Your Play:5 plays in stereo if it’s in horizontal orientation. 

If if you are in a region where Sonos offers money-back trials, take advantage of that to try a pair of Play:5 for greater stereo separation. 

Thank you all for your positive answers. 

Userlevel 7

Hi FrancisRoger

To be clear the Play 5 (Gen 1) only has one orientation. It is the Play 5 (Gen2) that can be configured Vertically or Horizontally. 

Also know that you cannot create a stereo pair with a Play 5 (Gen 1) and Play 5 (Gen 2).  Therefore in order to experience Play 5’s as a stereo pair you’d have to find another Play 5 (Gen1) or purchase two (2) Play 5’s (Gen 2).

Likewise the Play 1’s can only create a stereo pair with another Play 1 which is also discontinued. The least expensive option to enjoy true stereo separation is to purchase Two (2) Sonos One SL’s.  

I know that’s not what you wanted to hear...but that’s the reality of the situation.  I hope you get Sonos to the point where it is truly enjoyable for you. BTW, Stereo pairs are awesome...especially so with Play 5’s.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Apologies: I hadn’t spotted that you had a Gen 1 version. Dare I say: eBay might be worth a search for a second Gen 1 speaker. 

@AjTrek1 Thank you for this. More and more clear. Maybe had I known all this would have I looked also to Bose before purchasing my units. No? Nobody ever told me (and I did not even think to) that my units do not play stereo except if I buy a pair of Beam or Play5. I will look for a pair of Sonos One as you suggested.

Userlevel 7

@FrancisRoger 

Glad you have a clear understanding. Two more points:

The Beam is not the best choice to create a stereo pair. In fact I don’t think it’s possible as it is designed as a Home Theater product. Then I could be wrong.

The Sonos One I referred to is the Sonos One SL. The Sonos One is more expensive unless you want Alexa or Google voice assist natively in the speaker. 

Thanks. One regret. Didn’t knew you before purchasing. 

The Beam is not the best choice to create a stereo pair. In fact I don’t think it’s possible as it is designed as a Home Theater product. Then I could be wrong.

You cannot stereo pair a Beam, you’re not wrong.  It has the speakers for left/center/right and was designed as a soundbar.