Answered

Spotify vs Apple Music playback

• 1 July 2020
  • 4 replies

Whilst I understand that my Sonos Play 3 (first gen) doesn’t support Apple Air Play, why is it possible to stream Spotify music on my Play 3 directly from the Spotify iPhone app, yet it’s not possible to stream directly from my Apple Music app?

icon

Best answer by Paul A 2 July 2020, 22:16

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @Odiedog2.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us.

Allow me to share with you the guide on using Airplay 2 feature from an apple product. Here on the other hand is the guide on controlling Sonos via direct play using the native app of the Music services and as well as what music services support direct control.

With that being said, I would like to clarify that Airplay2 is an Apple ONLY feature that allows you to control Airplay capable devices regardless if it is a Sonos device or not and music streaming via direct control or casting is a feature available on any device that supports streaming and/or casting as well as the music services that allows the feature as well. Airplay 2 is an Apple feature and casting and/or streaming is a music service feature which applies to both Apple, Android, and Windows platform..

I hope this brings a little clarification on your concern.

Please let me know if you still have further questions or concerns.

Thanks,

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Because Spotify use Spotify Direct, which is cloud-based solution (once you set it up your phone does nothing, you could drop it into a blender and the music would continue). Airplay is a device-based solution, the music comes from your phone directly.

Thank you both for your swift and comprehensive replies. It all makes sense now 👍

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @Odiedog2.

Thank you for the feedback.

If you still have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out to us. We are always ready to help. We have member and moderators who can share their best practice or experience to help you have a more positive Sonos experience.

Thanks,