Spotify Starred playlist not sorted correctly

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
The starred playlist from Spotify is sorted in the reverse order from the order I've sorted it in Spotify. I want to see newly added tracks first but in the Sonos controllers I see the last.

This is a recent thing that started with the 5.5 controller version.

Anyone with a solution (that doesn't include creating a new playlist)?

12 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Bump. Anyone?
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Hi pznaty, no updates regarding the request for starred playlist at the moment, but we appreciate the feedback. Let us know if you have any other questions we can help with.
Badge
I have the same problem with Sonos android 6.1.1
same problem here. its really frustrating when I want to listen to the starred playlist in order i.e. the most recent songs I have liked... instead they are at the bottom so i have to manually queue them up. Any solution?
Same problem here! The bug appeared a half year ago or so and maybe it has something to do with the size of the list? I have 366 songs on my starred list now, and had about 300 at the time when the problem started.
I’m experiencing the same issue. This is irritating and frustrating.

And I quite don’t understand
(a) why this is so, since all other Spotify playlist are correctly displayed in Sonos, only the “starred” list is ignored by sorting set up via the Spotify App
(b) why Sonos as a customer-centric company is not prioritizing this issue since the starred list by itself is definitely the most chosen playlist by users (otherwise it wouldn’t be called “starred”…)

So, please fix that Sonos.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hi all, I wanted to provide some clarity on how Spotify’s Starred playlist functions on Sonos.

Some time back, Spotify changed how their favoriting system works. The Starred functionality transformed into their “Your Music” section, which allowed for some more versatile sorting options instead of acting as one large playlist. When the “Starred” section became “Your Music,” the tracks you’d previously favorited were consolidated into a standard Spotify playlist called “Starred”, which is what you’re seeing today in the Sonos app.

In the Sonos app, all Spotify playlists will show up in order from oldest to newest additions. Since the old Starred section now operates as a playlist, this means it will show in this order as well. You can sort the playlist in different ways using the Spotify app, but these sorting changes won’t be reflected within Sonos.

The solution for this is to use Spotify’s “Your Music” section instead. Within Sonos, you can navigate to Spotify > Your Music > Songs and it will show tracks you’ve added to Your Music with the newest tracks at the top.

Edit: Unfortunately the original "batch add" method I described below did not place the tracks in the desired order. It's still possible to add your Starred tracks to Your Music, but not all at once. If you add them one at a time, you'll get the same result, but it unfortunately takes a lot more time.

You can add all of your Starred playlist tracks to “Your Music” easily using the Spotify desktop app for Mac or PC. First, navigate to your Starred playlist, then make sure the list is ordered with newest additions showing first. Select all of the tracks in the playlist, then right click on one of the tracks and select “Save to Your Music.” Click the check mark next to each track one by one, starting with the track at the top. The tracks you add should show a small check mark to the left of the name.

Once you’ve added the tracks, check back in Sonos under the “Your Music” section to see if the new additions are at the top. In the future, if you add tracks to “Your Music” instead of the Starred playlist, they should appear at the top of this list as well so you can always see your newest additions first.

This explanation turned out a lot longer than I was anticipating, so please let me know if you have any questions on this process or how the Spotify favoriting system works in general.
I cannot reproduce the suggested solution. The solution sounds plausible, but for some reason didn't work for me on OSX Spotify 1.0.28.87.g8f9312a4.

I sorted by "Starred" playlist in descending order by "date added" with the most recent on top. Then I selected all and added to my saved music.

It appears to have imported in order of album name, in ascending alpha-numeric order.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
I cannot reproduce the suggested solution. The solution sounds plausible, but for some reason didn't work for me on OSX Spotify 1.0.28.87.g8f9312a4.

I sorted by "Starred" playlist in descending order by "date added" with the most recent on top. Then I selected all and added to my saved music.

It appears to have imported in order of album name, in ascending alpha-numeric order.

I did some more testing on this, and you're correct - I'm also experiencing similar results.

In theory, it should work if the Spotify actually adds the tracks one by one when adding in bulk. It appears that this is not actually the case. If, as an example, you take five tracks and add them one by one to Your Music, they'll correctly appear in order of most recently added under Your Music > Songs. If, instead, you select all five songs and add them to Your Music at once, there's no guarantee in what order the Spotify app will add them, which means my above steps are unfortunately incorrect. I'll make an edit to the post to correct this.

You can still achieve the same effect by adding each track to Your Music one by one in the order you wish - however, this is much more time consuming than originally intended. My mistake!
Since Sonos chooses not to let the Spotify app (or any other music app) connect to the Sonos system, but want to use their own user interface, the answer to use this (time consuming) workaround is far too easy. By choosing to let users solely use the Sonos user interface, I think Sonos commit themselves to solve this sorting order problem by adding sorting functionallity to the playlists.
I can agree to the fact that Sonos doesn't get the "date added" information from Spotify.
However, adding an option to sort "A-Z" by song or artist should be possible!
Sit down and have a chat with Spotify and maybe they can send the extra information needed to your app/software...
In Spotify app on iPhone one click and playlist order is reversed. Can this function be added into the Sonos app when using Spotify playlist?

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings