Answered

Spotify skips to next song or stops playing, other sources work just fine meanwhile

Userlevel 1
The past couple of months when playing music from Spotify on any of the sonos speakers the music skips to the next song or stops playing at random points. It can be after 2 songs or half a day. The controller reports connection to spotify lost. Sometimes i can immediately click play again and it starts over but sometimes it takes 1-10 min before i can resume. Meanwhile i can play from other sources just fine so it seems like a Spotify specific issue. If i try to play using spotify connect then as i select the speaker, it changes it back to the previous target.
icon

Best answer by Edward R 19 June 2019, 13:58

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

269 replies

Hello,

I am getting the same issue.

Sonos works fine with all other streaming services, but Spotify has recently started to skip and stop lots. It used to work fine.

submitted diagnostic 1922636012.

I’d be so grateful for your help.

thanks so much,

Piers

I have same issue.

Submitted diagnostic 919016984.

This is VERY annoying problem! Hope to see fix soon!

WBR

/Sami

Diagnostics number 1392108794

two Sonos one systems connected together, WiFi at home pretty strong. Can you help?

Added my diagnostic number above, no response at all from Sonos?

Hi 

Started using Spotify 10 mins ago and it's skipping. Diagnostics number 417523795

When I play music using Spotify through my Sonos One, every couple of songs or so, a song from the play queue (regardless if it’s a playlist or an album) will be skipped. I started noticing because the songs that starts playing when the previous song was skipped doesn’t start right from the beginning but a couple of seconds into the song. 

• What devices do you have?

Sonos One

• Has anything changed on the network?

No

• Which service(s) are you trying to listen to?

Spotify

• Is the behaviour always the same?

Yes

• Can you recreate it with ease, or is it random?

I can recreate it with ease, it happens every single time I play use Spotify on my Sonos One but cannot predict for sure which songs are going to be skipped and which are going to play properly.

• Diagnostics confirmation number:

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@plpaquin Hi there, thanks for sending in the report. I don’t see any obvious cause of the cut outs from your report. The stream isn’t getting to the speakers fast enough. The communication between your speaker and router looks okay. I think it would be best to continue troubleshooting this live with our phone team. You can find our number and hours here.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@CateCat Hi there, sorry for the delay. If you’re still having issues with skips, try changing your router’s wireless channel over to 6 or 1. It’s currently on 11, which is pretty crowded in your area, and there are some wireless errors showing up. Give that a shot, and also check this guide out if issues remain.

Thanks @Jeff S Hadn't realised something as simple as changing the channel could help. Have done that and will see what happens 

I’ve been having this exact same issue for a couple months now.  Every other service works fine. 

I’ve been having this issue for months but recently realized it is only with Spotify played through Sonos. Spotify through Airplay 2 or through Apple TV works fine and all other sources work fine. I have 7 Play:1, 2x One, 1x Beam and 1x Sub. I’ve used ethernet directly from the router to a One to enable Sonos Net but recently found just using the wireless 2.4 network from the router has less drop outs on Spotify but still quite bad. 

The behaviour is very consistent and I can recreate it with ease.

Diagnostic confirmation number 171272017

Thanks for any assistance 

Hi,

I’ve been having the same problem on and off for quite a while.

Just recently upgraded to the new boost (to replace the old bridge). worked ok for a week then starts to cut out.   Have reset router and changed chanels from 6 to 11 . reset sonos completely all with no long term change.

I have a Beam, Sub, 6 Play:1, and 2 Connects all spread throughout the house.  There isn’t' one area that is noticeably worse. all seem to cut out either together or one by one. I have tried just one or two speakers to see if that changes.  when I look into the error log i do see a number of “cannot connect to spotify” messages and a few network connection speed insufficient messages. the latter being strange as I have NBN and speed/bandwidth shouldn't be a problem streaming music.

My diagnostics number is :167878938

Any advice/ideas would be most welcome.

That you

Shaun

Badge
    • Connect
    • Connect:Amp x 2
    • Play:5
    • Symfonisk
    • Yes, I have moved to a new house, and connected most of my old system again. I have tried to switch network channels as per instruction. According to the network matrix at <ip>:1400/support/review all speakers are green or yellow.
    • Spotify
    • Yes.
    • Random.

Submitted diagnostic: 1563571942

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @wentzel thank you for providing the diagnostic confirmation number from your system.

It looks like the connection to the Spotify server is timing out.  Your current router channel is set to 1 which looks a little busy, you may want to change it to 6 or 11. Do you have multiple Ubiquiti access points or just one?

If you un-group your players and play Spotify to only one player, is there any change in the playback?

Was your system previously using Sonosnet with a Sonos player wired to the network?

I can see that your Connect has not been added back to this system yet, is this by choice or is it also giving you difficulty?  

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Shaunybabes, I’ve just taken a look at your diagnostic report and I have a few thoughts. 

First, you’ll want to make sure that your router channel and Sonosnet channel aren’t the same or overlapping. If you keep Sonosnet on 11 and move your router channel down wot 6 or 1, this will keep your local network traffic from interfering with  your Sonos communications. 

Second, you have all of your players grouped together with the Bedroom/ Play: 1 as the “Group Coordinator”. If you break up this group, and play individually, does the issue continue? 

If you reform this grouping with either “Dogs” or one of the Connects as the first player/group coordinator, are there any changes? 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi there @JDW98 I’ve taken a look at your system diagnostic as well and I do apologize for the delay in our response. 

With a system this large, usually Sonosnet is the preferred option and I’m surprised that you were experiencing worse performance with a player wired. 

Are you still having difficulty with Spotify or have you found a solution since you posted here? 

Please let me know so that I can continue to work with you to resolve this.    

Badge

Hi @wentzel thank you for providing the diagnostic confirmation number from your system.

It looks like the connection to the Spotify server is timing out.  Your current router channel is set to 1 which looks a little busy, you may want to change it to 6 or 11. Do you have multiple Ubiquiti access points or just one?

If you un-group your players and play Spotify to only one player, is there any change in the playback?

Was your system previously using Sonosnet with a Sonos player wired to the network?

I can see that your Connect has not been added back to this system yet, is this by choice or is it also giving you difficulty?  

Yes I have been playing around with the different channels, as per the instructions in Sonos recommendations to reduce interference. I just ended up on channel 1 right now. Today I switched my home wifi to channel 11 (not the Sonos channel), and it's still skipping, grouped, as well as ungrouped. It's hard to tell if it's more or less often, it seems to be worse in periods and the it can be good for an hour or so.

I just have one access point and yes, before the move I had one connected by Ethernet cable.

The Connect is not connected right now on purpose. I'll connect it as we get more order in the household (it's in a box somewhere right now, and I don't know which one...)

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @wentzel  and thanks for the update. Your Sonos system is currently operating on your WiFi so that your Sonos channel is essentially the same as your router channel. Once you wire a Sonos player (component or speaker) to your network, Sonos will then start its own mesh network that you can manage the channel on from the Sonos app. 

Please feel free to submit additional diagnostics as you make changes and adjustments to your system and post them here for us to look over. 

If you previously had a player wired in you may want to return to that configuration sooner rather than later if that was more stable for your system. 

If your network has Ubiquiti switches or access points you may need to make adjustments to the multicast settings for the network to be compatible with Sonos.

Badge

Hi @wentzel  and thanks for the update. Your Sonos system is currently operating on your WiFi so that your Sonos channel is essentially the same as your router channel. Once you wire a Sonos player (component or speaker) to your network, Sonos will then start its own mesh network that you can manage the channel on from the Sonos app. 

Please feel free to submit additional diagnostics as you make changes and adjustments to your system and post them here for us to look over. 

If you previously had a player wired in you may want to return to that configuration sooner rather than later if that was more stable for your system. 

If your network has Ubiquiti switches or access points you may need to make adjustments to the multicast settings for the network to be compatible with Sonos.

Thanks, that is helpful to know around how the network works. I guess I'll have to try with a wired connection then.

I'm not sure about multicast settings, is there a Sonos support article with information what settings the Sonos system needs to work well?

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @wentzel I do have a generalized STP settings page for managed switches but for anything specific to Ubiquiti I would need to know exactly what you are working with (Unifi vs Amplifi & Switch model numbers) in order to provide the best information for you.

Hi @Shaunybabes, I’ve just taken a look at your diagnostic report and I have a few thoughts. 

First, you’ll want to make sure that your router channel and Sonosnet channel aren’t the same or overlapping. If you keep Sonosnet on 11 and move your router channel down wot 6 or 1, this will keep your local network traffic from interfering with  your Sonos communications. 

Second, you have all of your players grouped together with the Bedroom/ Play: 1 as the “Group Coordinator”. If you break up this group, and play individually, does the issue continue? 

If you reform this grouping with either “Dogs” or one of the Connects as the first player/group coordinator, are there any changes? 

Thanks @Jean C. 

So i confirmed my wifi and Sonos net are now on different channels. 

I changed the group coordinator to a different play:1 - no difference

If I split up the groups I can play seperate tracks on each play/connect with no drop out.

As soon as I group them to play the same track throughout I start to get drop outs - including between left/right pairs.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi there @Shaunybabes and thank you for the update.

Can you submit a follow up diagnostic report so that we can work with updated data?

Please follow these steps to submit a diagnostc:

Settings > Help&Tips > Submit Diagnostic

and post the confirmation number here for us to review.

Hi there @Shaunybabes and thank you for the update.

Can you submit a follow up diagnostic report so that we can work with updated data?

Please follow these steps to submit a diagnostc:

Settings > Help&Tips > Submit Diagnostic

and post the confirmation number here for us to review.

Hi @Jean C. 

Diagnostic number is 1086456486

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Shaunybabes Thank you for the updated diagnostic report. 

I’m still seeing some wicked interference in your system even though Sonosnet is now separate from your Wi-Fi channel. 

Have you checked our common sources of interference page to see if anything could be relevant?  

Is your router located in a cabinet or in immediate proximity of anything metal or other audio/electronic gear?

Where is your Boost relative to your router (on, next to, under)?

Badge

Hi @wentzel I do have a generalized STP settings page for managed switches but for anything specific to Ubiquiti I would need to know exactly what you are working with (Unifi vs Amplifi & Switch model numbers) in order to provide the best information for you.

I have now tried to run it with one Sonos connected through Ethernet. It seems like it doesn't skip as much, but still does it sometimes. And right now it just keeps stopping, saying the connection to Spotify was lost.

I have a Unifi Dream Machine. I haven't yet tried changing any STP settings.

New diagnostic code: 1752550173