Spotify radio stations not playing today on Sonos

• 24 January 2021
  • 64 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

I cannot get Spotify artist radio stations to play on my Sonos today. I can play other Spotify content, like a specific album. But the S2 app complains it cannot get songs for radio station. I’ve never had this problem before. I have reset everything with no benefit so far. Any ideas?  Those artist radio stations play fine in the Spotify app. Just not through Sonos 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

64 replies

Userlevel 2

regardless of who’s fault this broke (sonos or spotify). it should really be up to sonos to both verify this problem and track it down to the point of “we are doing this, which used to work and now it doesn’t” and report and get it resolved from spotify. if they can’t reproduce it themselves, they should be able to capture the info needed from it failing on a customer’s system. i spent two hours with sonos simply trying to report this straight forward issue. i’m not sure how it got fixed, or if my two hours helped, but am happy it did get fixed. it felt like they were just guessing and having me try random stuff. i think the process could have been more efficient. determining the point of failure should be easy, assuming u have reasonable logging and diagnostics in your code.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Same here.  No Spotify radio stations play at all for me now.  This after a few days of no problems.  WTF?

Userlevel 1

Interestingly it’s not ALL my Spotify radio stations that won’t play it’s only some.  Example (don’t judge my selection). If I try and play Sam smith radio I get the error unable to start radio station. If I try and play Kylie Minogue radio it plays with no error. So does Lana del Rey. But Angus and Julia Stone and Emeli Sande get the error. Birds of Tokyo plays no error. They all have Spotify Station next to their name in my favourites.  If I search for these artists and select the radio option under the Spotify artist I get the same results as above....

Userlevel 1

Not working for me either.  Hasn’t been for days.  Grrrr.

Same problem here.  I’ve experienced this issue on 3 different networks in 3 different states, which leads me to believe that this has nothing to do with ISP’s, wi-fi, or IP/DNS settings. This is getting really old.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi everyone, and thanks for reaching out to the Sonos Community!

Just to provide some update on this, we're aware of an issue affecting the Artist Radio function from Spotify, and our engineers are working together with the Spotify team to get this issue resolved.

No timescale for a fix I can share right now, however as a workaround you can use Spotify Connect directly from the Spotify app, or if you are using an iOS device with AirPlay compatible speakers, you can stream the audio from the Spotify app via AirPlay.

I'll post a further update when the issue has been resolved.

Userlevel 1

I have the identical problem. Spotify is working but not this feature through Sonos.Have tried unplugging and then restarting my connect with no success. This problem started approximately 24 hours ago. Message says tracks are unavailable

I’m still having the error message from Sonos saying “unable to get tracks” when trying to play a Spotify radio station of a certain artist - after none of the troubleshooting suggestions from Sonos worked I would appreciate a response from Sonos about the issue and what can be done

Userlevel 2

i spent an hour on chat with them this weekend. and an hour on the phone. pretty frustrating. i just wanted to report a clear bug that recently happened. i almost exclusively listen to spotify artist radio. i can play spotify playlists and albums no problem. i’m on S2 and it fails both for the iphone and for my windows desktop. everything is completely up to date

workaround is pushing the artist radio station from the spotify app to sonos, but not exactly convenient

they claim that it works for them and told me to try this below... i haven’t and i’m skeptical that it will make any difference: 

We did investigating about Spotify on Sonos searching Artist and playing music. We tried to replicate the issue and it is working. We Recommend to change the DNS server(8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4) and try again. If you have any queries or need further assistance with your Sonos, please contact us back with the case id number for future reference.

this is my case number if u want to refer to it: 02552471 

i’m tempted to wait till they fix it at this point, i’ve already wasted too much time and it is effecting other people

Keith

Userlevel 2

changing the dns to 8.8.8.8 didn’t fix it, as i suspected

Keith

Userlevel 1

Sigh...me as well

Spotify artist radio is not working for me either. I can start it from the spotify app and play it on sonos. Afaik playing artists and songs from spotify via the sonos app works as expected otherwise.

If I were to guess there might have been a change in some api that sonos use when communicating with spotify to play artist radio.

Spotify artist radio is not working for me either

Badge

doesnt work from the Sonos App, works from Spotify app where I select Sonos speaker.  

Fix problem sonos.  clearly its you.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @bjurasz.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community, We appreciate your time and effort in posting your concern here in our community.

Spotify had an outage recently, So in the meantime, I’d be tempted to do a network refresh, by unplugging all Sonos devices, then rebooting the router. When the router comes back up, plug back in the Sonos devices wait for 1-2 minutes, and test it again.

I suggest also uninstalling/install the music service if the first troubleshooting steps doesn't work.

Let us know if it works. If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

I did both troubleshooting steps you mentioned. I unplugged all Sonos Devices and rebooted my router as directed. That did not work so I uninstalled Spotify and reinstalled it and Sonos is still telling me “unable to get tracks for radio station” when I chose an artist and their radio. I can however go to the main menu and chose a recommended radio station and it will play, but when I search and get an artist and then chose their radio it will not work. 

Userlevel 1

Here is the diagnostic number 1744611990. Still not working through Sonos but works on Spotify. Frustrating as this is how I consume a lot of my music from Sonos so hopefully a solution is found soon

Userlevel 1

Have exactly the same issue. Can play albums but not radio within Spotify. Unable to get tracks to play error. S2 app. 

Userlevel 1

Diagnostics sent 745909538

Badge

Add me to the list for “unable to get tracks for radio station” when attempting to listen to SOME Spotify artists’ radio stations. Wes Montgomerie works, but John Coltrane and Chet Baker do not. Albums and songs are fine. Makes no difference if it’s a “Favourite” or not. I’ve also done all of the steps referenced with no improvement.

I recently updated to the newer app (iOS 14.3) and controller (MacOS 10.11.16). I hope that’s the culprit and an update is pending!

Userlevel 2
Badge

Right now, two artist radio stations that did not play for the past several days are playing.  Fingers crossed this is solved.

Badge

Right now, two artist radio stations that did not play for the past several days are playing.  Fingers crossed this is solved.

Same here! Can’t explain what happened; I’m just glad it’s working! Let’s hope this ends today!

Userlevel 1

I am a self admitted luddite so I cant make any case. Unfortunately the assistance I received from Sonos was severely lacking while the assistance from Spotify was, until I had to go back to work, great. Of course I realize they are different business models with one being a subscription.

I am  of course pleased  that is is solved and in a relatively quick time regardless of who is responsible

Userlevel 1

I am a self admitted luddite so I cant make any case.

You can own Sonos equipment or be a luddite. Not both. LOL! 

That is my dilemma.

I must confess I have never used a community board and it does offer some practical information as well as some therapeutic satisfaction

Back to Helen Merrill or some Death in Vegas

I once again am unable to get radio tracks from Spotify on my Sonos- Submitted diagnostics #553287002