spotify quality over sonos speakers

• 8 September 2017
  • 37 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

37 replies

Nope, can't do that either: all we get is Apple and Google Play. Little to choose between the two except for UI differences.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
You can't choose a quality for Sonos Spotify can you?
Badge
Hi SJW, yes you might be right. I’ll let someone else answer this definitively as I’m brand new to Sonos—I just got my Sonos speakers three days ago! I realize that I had only set my Spotify account to extreme in the Spotify app, and didn’t consider that Sonos might have been playing Spotify in its native resolution. If Sonos can only play Spotify in low resolution, that would seem like a major mistake on their part.
Sonos automatically plays Spotify at the highest quality. However if you use Spotify connect then you have to set it in the app you use.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi @Belly M, @Victoriabc: could you name a few specific tracks that sound bad to you on Spotify? I'd like to do some comparisons of my own. Thanks.
Sorry my subscription to Spotify is no longer, for me pretty much everything sounded poor. After listening for a while I get fatigue and find I have to switch to another source (normally go to ripped cd,s on my NAS) 30-60 mins is the max I can cope with.
Badge
Hi @Belly M, @Victoriabc: could you name a few specific tracks that sound bad to you on Spotify? I'd like to do some comparisons of my own. Thanks.
It’s not that they all sound bad, but many don’t sound as rich. Individual instruments often sound more full and distinctive. Voices less reedy. I especially noticed the difference in songs I had only heard on Spotify. There were qualities to some song I didn’t know were there. I could recommend a few songs and artists, but I think it might be better to try to listen to whatever music you know really well on both sources, and see what your ears tell you! Then we can compare “notes” ? Ha!
Badge
Ok, one song that was particularly awful on Spotify over our Sonos speakers was Lauren Hill’s Everything is Everything. It just sounded disjointed and off, like something seriously missing from the low to midrange.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Ok, one song that was particularly awful on Spotify over our Sonos speakers was Lauren Hill’s Everything is Everything. It just sounded disjointed and off, like something missing from the low to midrange that no amount of fiddling with Sonos settings could help.

Thanks! I'll give that one a try. I have that locally in lossless form, as well as available from Spotify.

(Some time ago, when I first acquired some of my Sonos kit, I did a little very informal testing of Spotify versus my locally owned lossless versions of the same tracks. I concluded that I could not discern a meaningful difference, on a well-configured pair of PLAY:5s and a SUB -- i.e., I would not be able to tell you which was which in blind comparisons. This appears to be consistent with scientifically conducted studies of ~320kbps compressed sources versus lossless from the same tracks, but I don't claim to be an expert.)
Badge
I will add the caviot that I’m of course only speaking for my setup and my ears. I can’t quantify why it is the case, but for whatever reason my wife and I are hearing differences on many tracks. The good thing is, as described above, it solved itself when we started using the “lossless” high res versions of Deezer and Tidal.
Enjoy your listening! 🙂