Spotify podcasts not appearing

Userlevel 2
Is there anyway to get spotify podcasts on sonos? I follow them in spotify and they are in my library on my spotify app but I can not find them on sonos. Thanks for the help.

36 replies

I thought this was meant to make things easier. 

After thinking about how I can use my Sonos speakers more I figured I could use them to listen to podcasts. I use the podcast app on my iPhone. I read about the AirPlay first, great! But, because none of my speakers are accessible with this feature I went back to the forums. 
I’ve got Spotify, finally I thought, I’ve figured it out, I would just use Spotify for listening to podcasts, easy! After finding my podcasts on Spotify I started listening through my playbar, solved. Except after loading the next podcast, it wouldn’t play. Strange, I thought. Thanks to this forum, I understand why, although it’s so frustrating. I can listen on my phone just fine, theoretically what’s the difference?

Finally I might have got some luck with the TuneIn app on Sonos, all my podcasts seem to work on it through the Sonos. New problem is that it’s a subscription service. So if I want to use it as my new podcast app I would have to pay. After downloading the free version it doesn’t seem to allow me to throw it to Sonos and I’m not sure (nor want to find out), If paying for it will help.

Don't get me wrong, I love Sonos and somewhat understand why this is happening however I have to come back to my original comment, for such an expensive brilliant product, surely it’s meant to make things easier? Fortunately the playbar will allow the tv sound to be linked to the speakers which makes it much more value for money. 

Have you contacted Spotify? They’re the ones that control what shows up in the Sonos ecosystem. 

No, I didn’t think about it but I’m going to do it.

Have you contacted Spotify? They’re the ones that control what shows up in the Sonos ecosystem. 

I listen to a lot of Podcasts and am terribly disappointed that this is not available on Sonos, please add it.

I second that 11 months later, still no support for Podcasts from Spotify.

It's clear that the issue lies with licensing. I'm not sure why people are having a go at Sonos here?

Thanks to those who have suggested going with the 'airplay' method via the Spotify app, will give this a try at some point.

It’s unfortunate that the BBC doesn’t want to make things right for Sonos users, I too have lost faith in them. I feel badly for Sonos, though. Kind of surprised they haven’t just dropped the BBC completely, due to this issue. 

Losing faith in the brand with this and BBC related issues. Invested in multiple play ones throughout the house - no airplay for me :( and now this. This thread started THREE YEARS ago and still no resolution. 

Replace all my play ones with Sonos 1’s and use airplay does not look like the best option for me right now...

Oh man I’ve had it with Sonos. I’m gonna have to ditch it and just get another dumb speaker. Sonos whole approach to things reminds me of the DRM days of yore. Making things difficult just encourages us to leave. 
I can happily stream ANYTHING! to my stupid UE speaker and it sounds just as good. Here we come EBay... 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@Tbates Hi there, I’ll send along a feature request to the team to add Spotify Podcasts to the Sonos implementation. I’d also recommend reaching out to Spotify as they’re also responsible for creating the Spotify integration on Sonos. For now, you can use the Spotify app to play the podcasts, and to control your Sonos speakers. This page goes into more detail on using the Spotify app to control your Sonos speakers.

Ditto the above, Sonos should be able to play anything from Spotify that my subscription entitles me to. Restricting that is an infringement of my rights, and of freedom of speech...

Please give Sonos the ability to play all Spotify Podcasts. Once you removed the ability to play content saved on this phone, you also removed the ability to play my favorite podcasts. I refuse to buy another component, Sonos with Airplay 2 to play this content. 

Future enhancement criteria: can a Sonos customer execute the same end function without buying new equipment?  If the answer is no, it’s NOT an enhancement!!

For reference I’m trying to play DJ Grind - Daily Grind thru my Play 1s; Play 3s, Plays 5s and Playbase.  I own multiples of each. 

Interesting. Thanks for looking into it, Ken!
TMLU,

Just for your info, I am able to play the The Food Chain podcast (via AirPlay/Spotify App). I am a U.K. resident and BBC licence payer, so my thoughts are that some countries/regions may not have a licensing agreement with the BBC.

I think the BBC may have changed their licensing policy in recent times. I think the agreements are with the local TV broadcasters and not sure if that is an “exchange of services” agreement of whether its a financial one. I suspect this is the reason that some of us can and can’t play some things via tunein.

i obviously have a similar situation to you, with some US broadcasts not being available here in the U.K. like Pandora for example.
Hi Ken,

This is very interesting. Because you asked me which specific podcast I was trying to play to Sonos, it led me to discover something: Spotify Connect to Sonos DOES work with podcasts!

The podcast I was trying to listen to is called The Food Chain: https://open.spotify.com/show/3yeqJPo77pglBJo0yu2n7l?si=X44L8DKlQL6P860Wcspdgg

It never occurred to me that the feature could work with some podcasts but not others. Your question led me to test it with a few different podcasts. The Food Chain is a podcast by the BBC. I discovered that Spotify Connect doesn't work with any of podcasts from the BBC, whereas non-BBC ones have no problem. So when I said it used to work for me before, I must've been listening to a non-BBC podcast.

I don't know why that it's like that, but mystery (partially) solved! Thank you very much for your help, Ken!☺
TMLU,

Can you you let me know the name of the podcast that you were trying to play to Sonos. I will happily test it here using the AirPlay connection method, to see if it works.
I’ve
Thanks. Indeed, that had worked for me a while back (I am a Spotify subscriber), but it doesn't seem to work anymore.

If I was playing music, I can select my Sonos from the devices list in the Spotify app. But as soon as I switching to playing a podcast, the Sonos options become greyed out, with the text saying: "Can't play this right now"

Strange? .. I’m a Spotify 'free' user and I can definitely AirPlay a podcast to my Sonos speakers (as shown in my screenshots in my earlier post). I can't however test the "Spotify Connect” method that you mention, without being a subscriber. Perhaps someone else here who subscribes to their service, can test it and let you know if they have it working.
Thanks. Indeed, that had worked for me a while back (I am a Spotify subscriber), but it doesn't seem to work anymore.

If I was playing music, I can select my Sonos from the devices list in the Spotify app. But as soon as I switching to playing a podcast, the Sonos options become greyed out, with the text saying: "Can't play this right now"
I am also really wanting this feature. Why is it taking so long?
Please Note if you're a Spotify subscriber, you can cast the audio to Sonos devices from the Spotify App, or if you have Airplay devices you can use that with the Free version of Spotify to play any podcast to your speakers.
I am also really wanting this feature. Why is it taking so long?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Any update?

Hi there,

We don't have any updates at this time, but I'll add your voice to the feature request.
Any update?
Badge
Is there anyway to get spotify podcasts on sonos? I follow them in spotify and they are in my library on my spotify app but I can not find them on sonos. Thanks for the help.
No plans to announce at the time, but thanks for the great suggestion. Keep the great ideas coming. Thanks.

Any update to this, 2 years later - still would be on my Wishlist!
Userlevel 6
Badge +12
Pocket Casts is available as a 'service'. Excellent.
Userlevel 1
Yes, there seem to be certain podcasts or podcast producers that aren’t allowed on Sonos, no explanation given, they just don’t work.
BBC podcasts for example behave this way, but Revisionist History by Panoply works fine.
you can send Spotify Podcasts to Sonos speakers using the Spotify app on a phone/tablet/pc (start the podcast as normal, click 'devices available' and choose your Sonos speaker/group). You just cant find them in the Sonos app.

Happy listening !

This doesn’t work for me. Spotify app plays music on Sonos fine, but only offers my Bluetooth devices to play podcasts on - the Sonos speakers are greyed out as not available- any thoughts why?