Spotify podcasts not appearing.

Userlevel 3
Is there anyway to get spotify podcasts on sonos? I follow them in spotify and they are in my library on my spotify app but I can not find them on sonos. Thanks for the help.

40 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Is there anyway to get spotify podcasts on sonos? I follow them in spotify and they are in my library on my spotify app but I can not find them on sonos. Thanks for the help.
No plans to announce at the time, but thanks for the great suggestion. Keep the great ideas coming. Thanks.
Userlevel 1
Same problem here. I love the Sonos App and would really appreciate if support for "Spotify Podcasts" would be added.
Cheers!
Userlevel 1
I listen to a lot of Podcasts and am terribly disappointed that this is not available on Sonos, please add it.
Userlevel 1
I also would like to be able to access Spotify podcasts on sonos 😞
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
'no plans at present'. Typical Sonos response of you'll get what we give you so shut up and think yourself lucky.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
you can send Spotify Podcasts to Sonos speakers using the Spotify app on a phone/tablet/pc (start the podcast as normal, click 'devices available' and choose your Sonos speaker/group). You just cant find them in the Sonos app.

Happy listening !
thanks for the solution much appreciated
Does sending Podcast from the Spotify app works now?
Not working for me - All Sonos gear appears greyed out with this message appended: "Can't play this right now"
Bugger, I meant to say that it doesn't work for BBC content. I'm in the UK so I'd expect this to work okay...
Userlevel 1
Yeah I can get it to work for anything none BBC, I have no idea why that would be the case?!
you can send Spotify Podcasts to Sonos speakers using the Spotify app on a phone/tablet/pc (start the podcast as normal, click 'devices available' and choose your Sonos speaker/group). You just cant find them in the Sonos app.

Happy listening !

This doesn’t work for me. Spotify app plays music on Sonos fine, but only offers my Bluetooth devices to play podcasts on - the Sonos speakers are greyed out as not available- any thoughts why?
Userlevel 1
Yes, there seem to be certain podcasts or podcast producers that aren’t allowed on Sonos, no explanation given, they just don’t work.
BBC podcasts for example behave this way, but Revisionist History by Panoply works fine.
Userlevel 6
Badge +13
Pocket Casts is available as a 'service'. Excellent.
Badge
No plans to announce at the time, but thanks for the great suggestion. Keep the great ideas coming. Thanks.

Any update to this, 2 years later - still would be on my Wishlist!
Any update?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Any update?

Hi there,

We don't have any updates at this time, but I'll add your voice to the feature request.
I am also really wanting this feature. Why is it taking so long?
I am also really wanting this feature. Why is it taking so long?
Please Note if you're a Spotify subscriber, you can cast the audio to Sonos devices from the Spotify App, or if you have Airplay devices you can use that with the Free version of Spotify to play any podcast to your speakers.
Thanks. Indeed, that had worked for me a while back (I am a Spotify subscriber), but it doesn't seem to work anymore.

If I was playing music, I can select my Sonos from the devices list in the Spotify app. But as soon as I switching to playing a podcast, the Sonos options become greyed out, with the text saying: "Can't play this right now"
I’ve
Thanks. Indeed, that had worked for me a while back (I am a Spotify subscriber), but it doesn't seem to work anymore.

If I was playing music, I can select my Sonos from the devices list in the Spotify app. But as soon as I switching to playing a podcast, the Sonos options become greyed out, with the text saying: "Can't play this right now"

Strange? .. I’m a Spotify 'free' user and I can definitely AirPlay a podcast to my Sonos speakers (as shown in my screenshots in my earlier post). I can't however test the "Spotify Connect” method that you mention, without being a subscriber. Perhaps someone else here who subscribes to their service, can test it and let you know if they have it working.
TMLU,

Can you you let me know the name of the podcast that you were trying to play to Sonos. I will happily test it here using the AirPlay connection method, to see if it works.
Hi Ken,

This is very interesting. Because you asked me which specific podcast I was trying to play to Sonos, it led me to discover something: Spotify Connect to Sonos DOES work with podcasts!

The podcast I was trying to listen to is called The Food Chain: https://open.spotify.com/show/3yeqJPo77pglBJo0yu2n7l?si=X44L8DKlQL6P860Wcspdgg

It never occurred to me that the feature could work with some podcasts but not others. Your question led me to test it with a few different podcasts. The Food Chain is a podcast by the BBC. I discovered that Spotify Connect doesn't work with any of podcasts from the BBC, whereas non-BBC ones have no problem. So when I said it used to work for me before, I must've been listening to a non-BBC podcast.

I don't know why that it's like that, but mystery (partially) solved! Thank you very much for your help, Ken!☺️
TMLU,

Just for your info, I am able to play the The Food Chain podcast (via AirPlay/Spotify App). I am a U.K. resident and BBC licence payer, so my thoughts are that some countries/regions may not have a licensing agreement with the BBC.

I think the BBC may have changed their licensing policy in recent times. I think the agreements are with the local TV broadcasters and not sure if that is an “exchange of services” agreement of whether its a financial one. I suspect this is the reason that some of us can and can’t play some things via tunein.

i obviously have a similar situation to you, with some US broadcasts not being available here in the U.K. like Pandora for example.
Interesting. Thanks for looking into it, Ken!