Question

Spotify play counts when streamed through Sonos

• 10 January 2016
  • 26 replies

I have noticed that when I use Sonos to stream music from Spotify, those songs do not appear in my Spotify music history.

Are those streams still being recorded by Spotify (so that artists are still being paid for the streams)? If so, is it possible to have those streams show up in my Spotify account?

Cheers,
Tony

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

26 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hey Tony,

Thanks for asking. As you noticed, the play counts on Sonos for Spotify tracks don't get reported in your account's history. However, as far as we know they are being tracked somehow as artists should be getting paid for each play. The method for tracking these two things are done in different ways however, so they aren't directly related. We'll pass on the interest in getting your history tracked through Sonos too.

Thanks
Userlevel 1
Hi Sonos, interesting question. Will what you play on Spotify through Sonos count and have impact on the Spotify discover Weekly playlist?
Userlevel 1
Hey Tony,

Thanks for asking. As you noticed, the play counts on Sonos for Spotify tracks don't get reported in your account's history. However, as far as we know they are being tracked somehow as artists should be getting paid for each play. The method for tracking these two things are done in different ways however, so they aren't directly related. We'll pass on the interest in getting your history tracked through Sonos too.

Thanks

Hi Sonos, interesting question. Will what you play on Spotify through Sonos count and have impact on the Spotify discover Weekly playlist?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Good question Leruud. Sonos listens do not count for Spotify Discover Weekly currently. Thanks for asking.
Userlevel 1
Good question Leruud. Sonos listens do not count for Spotify Discover Weekly currently. Thanks for asking.

That was a suprise. I could not agree more with your colleague from todays blog post.
http://blog.sonos.com/backstage-pass/how-to-build-the-perfect-playlist -"Spotify’s Discover Weekly is the perfect example of offering music discovery based on your listening data. It’s their best own curated playlist in terms of engagement. Even for people like me who listen to obscure stuff and listen all the time, every Monday I discover new music through these"
Would be great if users listening to Spotify through Sonos can get even better playlists by having this integration in place. Looking forward to it!
Userlevel 3
This is surprising and crazy news, when 90% of my listening to Spotify is via Sonos. A short while ago, I posted this topic about proper support for some key Spotify features (playlist folders and Spotify recommendations mainly): https://en.community.sonos.com/music-services-and-sources-228994/better-integration-spotify-key-features-6736033

You can add Sonos song "scrobbles" to Spotify to the very top of that list. The whole value of Sonos + Spotify is starting to look much less attractive to me. I'm certain that no Sonos representative is going to put a date on when this will be fixed, so perhaps they could comment on whether Sonos song plays will scrobble to any of the other music services. Google Play Music seems to have the best feature integration overall, so perhaps this one works as one would expect?

If it's simply not possible to achieve this, then there's even more reason to enable Spotify Connect, allowing control from a cell phone which can submit data to Spotify. Or else I should perhaps just invest in some decent headphones and cut Sonos out of the loop entirely.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi Paul,

Which history features exactly are you looking for, that might help best suggest a service?

You might want to take a look into using Last.FM for "scrobbling" if you aren't already. You can add a free Last.FM account to Sonos and it'll keep track of all of your plays across any service on all of your Sonos players. The downside is that other members of your household will be adding their own plays too, but it'll keep track of all your history too.

You can keep track of what's been played through their website, and search for those songs within Spotify on Sonos when you want to play one again.

We now use a version of the Spotify web API for our integration with them on Sonos. Looking through their requests, this feature as been requested here but there's no news on if it's going to be added. We generally don't speak to future development either, but we'll let you know if there's anything that can be announced in the future.

As to other services with history features, Google Play Music doesn't have a play history built into their service. They keep track of which stations are played, which does get shared with Sonos and vice versa. Deezer does have listening history which keeps track of what's played on Sonos, but there isn't a way to browse that history within Sonos currently.
Userlevel 3
Hi Ryan, I've been using Last.fm for years, which has been gathering data from multiple services. Sadly there's no way to play it back through Sonos without manually searching individual tracks. Clunky.

Until recently, I'd been using Deezer for a year, which I guess is why lack of listening history on Spotify came as a shock. I must have been used to it from Deezer. However Spotify is commercially the bigger service by an order of magnitude and much better in terms of social sharing of playlists. Surely any features that get users to the best experience should be a no-brainer (the ability to influence and play personalised recommendations should be high on this list). I saw Chromecast Audio mentioned as a possible work-around elsewhere, which might allow a cellphone running Spotify to connect with Sonos. This would be 100% acceptable and I hope it's achievable in months not years.
Userlevel 3
@Ryan S - please can you tell me if the Apple Music service reports songs played back to Apple, in the same way as Deezer. In terms of services with a good community of shared playlists, it seems that Spotify or Apple are the places to be, but as we have seen, Spotify doesn't work as one would hope inside Sonos. Thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
There's a good article here on how the Apple Music play history feature works, but in sort it won't do what you'd like it to for Sonos.
This thread has brought up an interesting point which I hadn't realised was an issue. I'd always assumed that my Spotify song plays on Sonos were fed back through to/tracked by my Spotify account. The fact that they aren't is a real shame. Hopefully this can be something rectified between the Sonos & Spotify APIs.
Userlevel 1
For Spotifiy Integration, maybe this is a step in the right dirrection? https://developer.spotify.com/news-stories/2016/03/29/audio-features-recommendations-user-taste/ . Ryan, what do you think?
Userlevel 3
Thanks Ryan. I really hope you have a developer looking at the key streaming service features that users want integrated into Sonos. Nobody questions the overall engineering or sound quality of the product, but it does need some work on the user experience side. I know that part of this is down to the APIs available, but if it's not possible to get a streaming partner to open up there are work arounds such as Google Chromecast Audio, Spotify Connect and Apple Airplay, which many competitors systems now support. It could be time to be less hung up on the Sonos Controller.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
It's really disappointing to read that Sonos doesn't work with Spotify's ability to create a tailored Playlist, aka Discover Weekly.

Sonos, please fix this and update the relevant area of Spotify. Yet again, this wouldn't be an issue if Sonos just supported Spotify Connect. It's just issue after issue..... But worth it. Just.
Which history features exactly are you looking for...

I'm dismayed to find out that Sonos doesn't back-integrate the played-tracks information back to Spotify, thereby completely blocking Spotify's ability to update the Discover Weekly playlist. This caused me to investigate and find out that Sonos doesn't even update the playcount in the local iTunes library for local music played over Sonos speakers, either.

I'm just getting started with Sonos (only the one speaker so far, at the one house), and this has me putting the expansion on hold. It's too late to not have purchased the Sonos speaker, but until this is fixed, I sure won't be buying any others.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Hey Sonos: I am chiming in to this thread as I also believe this is an important bit of functionality and us users/customers have a reasonable expectation for this to function. Spotify is adding more dynamically curated playlisting and using Spotify thru Sono cuts us Sonos users out of these benefits. Playing Spotify thru my Apple TV and then thru Sonos doesn't sounds as good and defeats the purpose. Please take a serious look at this and I know it can be solved . . Spotify and Sonos have too many smart engineers.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I assume if you fix this for spotify dynamic playlists (Discover Weekly and others) then this would also be the same fix for Facebook yes? Make it happen boyz and women...
Love my Sonos speaker, but this is a huge disappointment. Our music listens should count in Spotify. Discover Weekly is an awesome feature and it sucks to miss out on it. I actually went out and bought a bluetooth speaker because of this problem, but not ready to give up on Sonos just yet. Please get this working.

So is this really true? While I'm perfectly fine with using the Sonos app for Spotify playback, this is disappointing.
To me, recommendations are a key feature.
Badge +1
Hi all,

Thanks for your feedbacks here.
Our developpers are well aware of this and are constantly working to improve music services integration within Sonos Controller app.
At this stage we are unable to state if or when this feature would be added, but any news on this topic will be shared with the Community, as always.
Keep on sharing your suggestions !
Badge
Hey - will this feature be added soon? I was very disappointed when I discovered that this key feature was missing.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hey - will this feature be added soon? I was very disappointed when I discovered that this key feature was missing.

We generally don't speak to future development or confirm if anything's in the works. But, we did recently announce that soon you'll be able to control Sonos with your Spotify App directly. All the details around that aren't fully available, but I believe when that goes into place your play counts through the Spotify App on Sonos will be counted.
Badge
Sounds good look forward to that!
I would just like to add my voice to this. "Scrobbling" from Sonos to Spotify would be a highly desirable feature. Brian
Amazing amazing amazing! 😃 I can now play Sonos through Spotify. Thank you, and well done!!!! Brian