Spotify Missing Playlist Folder Disaster

Userlevel 3
I want to add my voice to the large, growing number of disappointed Sonos users who lost all of their playlist folders with this new update. Based on how I listen to and search through my music, this sudden lack of functionality has rendered my Sonos eperience totally useless. I was planning to outfit my entire home with Sonos speakers, but now with this neglectful update, which has made listening to my spotify collection impossible, I won't continue to be a user if this playlist folder issue is not addressed and amended. Given all the growing dissatisfaction I have seen in the past 24 hrs, is it safe to assume that Sonos will receive the necessary API from Spotify to avoid losing many of its current and future users?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

103 replies

Userlevel 1
I just implemented the latest update (version 5.5), and like the others in this community found that it was actually a huge downgrade. with respect to Spotify, which my primary music source for my Sonos listening. Now there are stupid icons for Charts, New Releases,Moods which I will never use, and my Spotify folders that I developed over the years are not shown and inaccessible.Terrible, terrible business judgment. What morons at Sonos..Looks like I'll be selling my 9 Play:5 units if this doesn't get fixed soon.

How can I undo the "upgrade"?
Userlevel 1
Badge
Thanks Ryan for your reply. I support Brian C totally. Like him I am now faced with an unmanageable list of albums in Sonos that I cannot even put in to alphabetical order. The Playlist Folder is essential as I use it in my main Spotify account to sort out rock, folk blues, artists etc of my own collection and it is still there in that format but seems Sonos cannot now download it. Bad omission indeed.

It is worse for me as I have already invested heavily in Sonos throughout the house as you will see from my account.

It really is ESSENTIAL that between yourselves and Spotify this is rectified urgently, please.

PS Please can you move this post to music services too ..it is my first post and did not see the other board.
Hi

This is a big problem the main route to select music is through spotify playlist folders. This change as for other users makes the whole process of playing music now next to impossible. The oversight of how people organise and select music through folders is fundamental when you have lots of music.

Can sonos report

1 how to revert to the previous version of controller
2 when a fix will be provided to support folders

This is a big oversight and either mean sonos goes or spotiy goes.

paul
Userlevel 2
Since I believe that the more people complain about this issue the more I hope that Sonos will be aware of the disaster it has caused upon many of us.

Just to explan the situation:

Over the years I have carefully set up a structure of playlists in folders and subfolders.

Some examples:

"Compilation" (folder) > (30 sub folders) e.g. "Now That's What i Call Music", "Bravo Hits" etc. > subfolders by decades > playlists by year

Now imagine that there are more than 90 playlists only for the "Now!" series and a similar amount of "Bravo Hits". They are all displayed in one single folder now. And these are only 2 sub folders out of hundreds.

Similar strucure here:
Decade (folder) > (6 sub folders) Best Of 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000s, 2010s etc.) > (10 playlists each) e.g. Best of 2011, 2012, 2013 etc...

The next of my main folders is for the different people in the house which makes sense for the Spotify Family tariff. Everyone has got their favorites organised in sub folders again. Now they are all in this big melting pot, as well, with no-one in the house finding their favorite music anymore.

Another folder is for different moods or situations like dinner, late night, relaxing etc. Playlists organised in these folders are also messed up and can only be found by scrolling through all the lists for half an hour.

Honestly, the Sonos experience has significantly decreased since the update and if anyone knows how to get back to the previous version, please post it. It whole situation is annoying when I think about the 10 Sonos products I have invested in so far.

If it is that easy for Sonos to simply stop any functionality that has already been there, one has to consider rather looking at alternatives that support the Spotify app directly. Otherwise, there will always be a danger that the large investment becomes a much worse experience over night.

Sorry, Sonos, but for the first time I am really disappointed. Especially, because you do not promise to work on and fix this issue in one of the next releases.
Userlevel 2
Badge
This is mainly for Ryan, Sonos Staff:

I removed Spotify from the Sonos system for a third time, and re-connected to the Spotify service. This time, my Spotify playlists (but not folders) are all there, but they are in no discernible order. Most of my playlists consist of a single album: mostly I use Spotify to listen to classical music. With classical music, it's not sensible to put a bunch of different albums into one playlist, since each movement ["track"] of a piece of classical music is part of the whole piece and can't be mixed in with the movements from other pieces of classical music. So I'm left with a long list of albums. They're in no discernible order whatsoever, not even alphabetical -- if they were alphabetical, at least I could rename the playlists so I would be able to find the albums I wanted to listen to. With the unordered list: How am I supposed to find some album I want to listen to? Scroll through hundreds until I find it?

Honestly, the news gets worse and worse. What a mess!
Crying shame.

Got a house full of Sonos speakers of all varieties, 95% used with Spotify. The whole family use playlists and we have 100's....We don't use moods or any of that nonsense.. You know, basic, core functionality. In fact, I have tried moods since not been able to find my own playlists and I won't be doing that again! Shockingly awful)

I was intending to invest in a play bar with the new TV for christmas and swap out a Play 1 for the new 5. However, this debacle has made me change my mind. In fact, I have just cancelled my Spotify premium account and will be putting the Sonos speakers on ebay.

Need to find an alternative - open to all ideas.
I guess my voice may be lost in a forest of complaints, but in case anyone from SONOS is listening, I too am truly stuck without the use of Folders (Collections) on Spotify. Our whole house is linked by a variety of SONOS products including ceiling speakers, portable devices, TVs and outside areas. We have four teenagers in the house and a vast array of (eclectic) music organised on Spotify. We have playlists, embedded within folders, which in turn are organised into collections, from which we can easily select a whole mood or genre of music; or at least we could. Now we have to make individual selections, which is awkward and tiresome. I have not seen an adequate response to show me what is planned to resolve this problem, which I understand is due to an API issue. I can accept a short delay, whilst this matter is resolved, but I request prompt and clear communication on the resolution.

My investment in SONOS cost many thousands of pounds and I cannot simply switch out from this product. Until now I have been an advocate of the service and successfully encouraged one other person to make a major installation. My goodwill is being eroded and, like others in the forest, my memory is long and unforgiving.

Please keep me on board as a happy customer, in which case I will continue with my positive endorsements. The alternative is easy to work out.

Thanks for listening !
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi Brian_C,

Thanks for reaching out, and welcome to the community. We understand the playlist folders is a feature that many Spotify users have enjoyed and it's unfortunate that it's no longer available in the current API with the new architecture we're using with Spotify. We'll pass on the feedback for you, but we don't have any news to share regarding the fate of folders right now.

I'll be moving this thread over to the Music Services board to keep it in the right place.
I have to add my voice to the frustrated Spotify Users upset over the change in how we listen to our music through Sonos...

I like many above have spent countless hours building playlists and grouping them in folders. To have the folders disappear and literally spit out all of the playlists into one LONGGGGG line of unsorted playlists is a nightmare.

Yes it has forced me to delete and consolidate certain things, but truthfully it has made it a major pain to find the music I want to listen to quickly.

I understand that this change is coming from Spotify's end....but if I can't get the functions I want from my music app through your speakers....that is a major problem that needs to be fixed. The addition of the radio seems to be the big upgrade, but it is not worth the cost of losing the ability to have my music grouped as I have it in SPotify.

This needs to be addressed and fixed going forward for SPotify users to be happy with the recent "upgrade"
I have been using Spotify since it was first released long ago in England (where I used to live) before it became available here in the US. So I have many, many years of saved playlists - literally hundreds so folders are vital. Like other users I am so very disappointed in the disappearance of folders within my Sonos system. I very much hope Sonos and Spotify can work together to sort this out.
Userlevel 2
Badge
This is mainly for Ryan, Sonos Staff:

I removed Spotify from the Sonos system for a third time, and re-connected to the Spotify service. This time, my Spotify playlists (but not folders) are all there, but they are in no discernible order. Most of my playlists consist of a single album: mostly I use Spotify to listen to classical music. With classical music, it's not sensible to put a bunch of different albums into one playlist, since each movement ["track"] of a piece of classical music is part of the whole piece and can't be mixed in with the movements from other pieces of classical music. So I'm left with a long list of albums. They're in no discernible order whatsoever, not even alphabetical -- if they were alphabetical, at least I could rename the playlists so I would be able to find the albums I wanted to listen to. With the unordered list: How am I supposed to find some album I want to listen to? Scroll through hundreds until I find it?

Honestly, the news gets worse and worse. What a mess!

Thanks for the update, have you had the chance to give us a call on our support line to have a technician take a closer look remotely? The order of your playlists should be exactly as they're arranged in your Spotify software, sans folders. If they're not in that same order, it'd be great to take a closer look with one of us.

Hi Ryan, You're right, they're all in the order of the Spotify folders and folders-within-folders and folders-within-folders-within-folders. However, since the folders aren't there, the ordering does me no good at all. It's as if I took everything out of my closets and desk drawers and kitchen and garage and put each item, in the order I took it from its original location, in a huge pile in the middle of the floor: How would I ever find anything in that huge, unwieldy mess?

At this point, more than anything, I wish someone at Sonos would say "Y'know, this truly was a boneheaded move, we had no idea that it would be so inconvenient to so many of our customers. We're very sorry that this happened and we'll do what we can to get it straightened out. You are our customers, you are the most important part of our business and we care about you, we want you to be satisfied." I contacted support at the beginning and the replies boiled down to "sorry, this is the way things are" and "tough luck, we're closing the ticket." From reading the forums on this topic both here and at Spotify, my clear impression is that no one cares or thinks this is a problem... except, of course, your customers. Tough luck indeed.
I want to register my disappointment with this issue also. I complained on the first day of the update to Sonos, and although they did respond I was disappointed that they then told me to log it on the forums! You shouldn't have to complain about something twice.

I hear what Sonos are saying about the interface - but they've switched interface to enable, in my opinion, some 'nice to haves'. In doing so they've lost very basic functionality which now makes my experience of Sonos very poor - almost to the point where its unusable.

Could you do an optional version downgrade so people who just want to listen to their music actually can do so?! Or if not could you give me a refund on the seven bits of Sonos hardware I have in my house?
Userlevel 1
I do not care about the so called ´nice´new features you have introduced. Without the playlist folders in Spotify, the Sonos system is useless for me. Can you please give me instructions of how to do a ´rollback´so that the system works as it used to. Your answers on this forum are for me absolutly incredible. You remove one VITAL feature in order to introduce some rubbish ones. I also work for a company that offers cloud based services. If we were to remove a feature that our customers considered as vital, they would be gone the next day..... This is NOT the way to keep customers, nor to get new ones. Please help!!!!
Userlevel 1
it seems to me that Sonos are selling their system under false pretense. When you advertise that you have Spotify integration, you should have some kind of agreement with Spotify that future changes will not lead to a degradation of service. As it is now, you buy something from one company, and when something that is a vital part of what you have bought is removed, you are just asked to complain to another company. The sensible thing to do were if the two companies sorted this out between themselves. I do not know what to do just now. I might throw out my Sonos equipment, OR i might cancel my Spotify subscription. This is a bad sitiuaton BOTH for Sonos and Spotify.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Thanks Ryan for your reply. I support Brian C totally. Like him I am now faced with an unmanageable list of albums in Sonos that I cannot even put in to alphabetical order. The Playlist Folder is essential as I use it in my main Spotify account to sort out rock, folk blues, artists etc of my own collection and it is still there in that format but seems Sonos cannot now download it. Bad omission indeed.

It is worse for me as I have already invested heavily in Sonos throughout the house as you will see from my account.

It really is ESSENTIAL that between yourselves and Spotify this is rectified urgently, please.

PS Please can you move this post to music services too ..it is my first post and did not see the other board.

It's not just Spotify, as Tidal has also been broken in the update - Artist are now listed in the order that you favourited them rather than Alphabetically. Whoever thought that was a good idea!!
Userlevel 2
Badge
I posted this to what seems like a defunct message string. So to repeat here:

I've done everything I can think of: restarting my router, restarting my Sonos bridge, and even setting up a completely new Sonos system (which of course required that I sign in to my Spotify account anew).

Under PLAYLISTS in the Sonos apps, there's an alphabetical listing of all the albums listed in all my Spotify playlists. None of the folders are listed, and none of the playlists are listed. Individual tracks that make up some of my Spotify playlists aren't listed at all. The entire organization of my Spotify music collection is now unavailable to me using my Sonos system.

I wrote a support ticket about this, and the response was "Unfortunately, Sonos is working as designed" -- in other words, tough luck.

I use Sonos pretty exclusively to listen to Spotify, and so now: Over $1000 worth of Sonos equipment, now useless to me.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Thanks Ryan. All my folders and playlists are intact on my Spotify account/apps (both desktop and mobile). I'll double-check what's happening with Sonos when I am able to do so (not until later this week: I'm not in the same place as my Sonos system right now).

Spotify is fine. I use it all the time outside the Sonos system.
Yes, chipping here also. I wont repeat what everyone has said above but add this handy site that another frustrated user set up to clarify the problem: http://bringbackfolders.com/

And also to say that I, like many others, am Spotify first and foremost. SONOS is a system I use to make the most of spotify. If this doesnt get fixed then its SONOS i'll be ditching not spotify. I'm currently looking into updating my home system with Google Chromecast Audio awaiting their multiroom functionality and will probably pocket some savings after selling SONOS devices on eBay.
I am absolutely mortified. We JUST committed our entire house to a wired Sonos connect system specifically because it allowed us to use the meticulously curated spotify playlist collection I've made over the course of years. Now it's a nearly unusable mess. I understand that it's spotify's API - but Sonos is using it! And spotify's own app still works great. The upgrade is so terribly bad, so unprofessional - if someone had shown me this a few months ago when we were picking our service, I would've laughed in their face -- there's no WAY I'd consider Sonos if this mess was what I saw, only now I'm stuck with it. Disappointment doesn't cover it, this is a punch in the gut, and I'm frankly embarrassed that I trusted Sonos with so much money.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
At this point, more than anything, I wish someone at Sonos would say "Y'know, this truly was a boneheaded move, we had no idea that it would be so inconvenient to so many of our customers. We're very sorry that this happened and we'll do what we can to get it straightened out. You are our customers, you are the most important part of our business and we care about you, we want you to be satisfied." I contacted support at the beginning and the replies boiled down to "sorry, this is the way things are" and "tough luck, we're closing the ticket." From reading the forums on this topic both here and at Spotify, my clear impression is that no one cares or thinks this is a problem... except, of course, your customers. Tough luck indeed.

That shouldn't have been the message you received from our support team, I'll check in to make sure they've got the right information to share. As you know, this change came as part of a huge shift in the coding we're using for Spotify on Sonos. The goal of course was a better experience than we previously had, and we believe we achieved that. With the new API we were able to add support for Genre and Mood playlists, Your Music (Playlists and Songs), Spotify Radio, and location/time based playlists only for Sonos. These were big requests that we've heard from our community for a while and we couldn't be happier to add support for them on Sonos. We couldn't have added these new features without moving to the new architecture.

Unfortunately, the new API we're using is missing a few features as well, such as the Spotify playlist folders. We absolutely understand that if this was a key feature for you your Spotify experience on Sonos was diminished. We know it's frustrating when a service you use isn't the same anymore, worse yet when there is a missing feature which you put a lot of work into customizing it in the first place.

We’re striving to build the best possible Spotify experience on Sonos and the shift to this API was a major step forward. We’re listening to all of your feedback regarding the lack of playlist folders and we’re continually working with Spotify. There isn't any news to share right now on what the future might hold, but if there's an update we'll let you all know.
Userlevel 3
Can anyone recommend a good alternative to the SONOS system which allows for proper handling of playlist organization in Spotify? I have been dealing with this failure of an update for over a month now and it only continues to irritate. I feel badly for those who have outfitted their entire homes with SONOS equipment only to now have to deal with this ongoing headache. Since we are not being given any clear or concrete answer from SONOS on this matter, I think this thread would benefit from others sharing their positive experience with any viable SONOS competitors.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
@ameisler, we completely understand the frustration since the playlist folders were so important to the way you used Spotify previously. You're not alone and we absolutely hear you. When we changed over to use the new Spotify Web API the older servers and connection protocol were set to spin down, and soon all systems will need to connect to Spotify through their new coding. The Spotify servers won't respond to the old API.

There have been a lot of great changes with the new API and this is just the beginning. We'd recommend adding your voice to the request on the Spotify Community around adding code for playlist folders into the web API. We'll pass on the interest too, but it's always great to talk to everyone involved. We'll let everyone know if there's any news, but we haven't any information available publicly right now.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, we'll make sure to share it with the teams.
Userlevel 2
Badge
it seems to me that Sonos are selling their system under false pretense. When you advertise that you have Spotify integration, you should have some kind of agreement with Spotify that future changes will not lead to a degradation of service. As it is now, you buy something from one company, and when something that is a vital part of what you have bought is removed, you are just asked to complain to another company. The sensible thing to do were if the two companies sorted this out between themselves. I do not know what to do just now. I might throw out my Sonos equipment, OR i might cancel my Spotify subscription. This is a bad sitiuaton BOTH for Sonos and Spotify.

...and Sonos continues to advertise Spotify integration. With the new PLAY:5, I wonder how many unsuspecting customers will soon discover this problem. And I wonder how many of them will be returning their Sonos equipment because of this problem? I hope, when they do, they make it clear to Sonos that this is a serious limitation in the usability of their product, and that passing the buck to the other company won't do a thing help Sonos' bottom line.
I agree with JMinSF -- a good way to pressure Sonos to fix this problem is by contacting Spotify and threatening to cancel one's Spotify Premium membership if Sonos doesn't fix this problem, and to warn potential Sonos purchasers of this crappy Spotify integration before the buy a Sonos system.

In this spirit, I have just posted the following review to the AMAZON listing for the Sonos Play:5 and every other Sonos product listed on Amazon that I could find:

"Spotify users beware!

Sonos users can no longer access their Spotify playlist folders, and makes it very hard to access one's Spotify playlists.

Sonos's recent software upgrade (5.4) eliminated access to user's Spotify playlist folders. So Sonos users can no longer view their Spotify custom folders, and all Spotify playlists are now listed individually in a random order, which makes it near impossible to browse through one's Spotify folders to find the playlist one is looking for. Many longtime Spotify users have hundreds of playlists sorted into dozens of folders and subfolders -- using Sonos, one can no longer access those folders."
Userlevel 1
I want to add my voice to the large, growing number of disappointed Sonos users who lost all of their playlist folders with this new update. Based on how I listen to and search through my music, this sudden lack of functionality has rendered my Sonos eperience totally useless. I was planning to outfit my entire home with Sonos speakers, but now with this neglectful update, which has made listening to my spotify collection impossible, I won't continue to be a user if this playlist folder issue is not addressed and amended. Given all the growing dissatisfaction I have seen in the past 24 hrs, is it safe to assume that Sonos will receive the necessary API from Spotify to avoid losing many of its current and future users?

The only way to get these type of Companies to do something (they have known about for a month, and nothing....) is to get the press to Write about it. Here is a link to the biggest IT-web site in Norway. This is read by almost everyone here, and I hope other newspapers will pick up the story.

http://itavisen.no/2015/11/23/sonos-kunder-raser-etter-spotify-endring/
http://itavisen.no/2015/11/23/sonos-kunder-raser-etter-spotify-endring/