Spotify Missing Playlist Folder Disaster

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

103 replies

I'm a new Sonos user and surprised (not to say flabbergasted) by the fact that Spotify folders are not supported. It's way below the quality standard Sonos communicates in its marketing.

But most disappointing and astonishing is that Sonos has not fixed this based on the huge amount of dissatisfied customers I see on this forum and social media about this...

You should really fix this.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
I'm a new Sonos user and surprised (not to say flabbergasted) by the fact that Spotify folders are not supported. It's way below the quality standard Sonos communicates in its marketing.

But most disappointing and astonishing is that Sonos has not fixed this based on the huge amount of dissatisfied customers I see on this forum and social media about this...

You should really fix this.

bslagter - Sonos can only work with the tools they are given by a music service provider. Sonos have switched from the old Spotify API (which was no longer being developed) to the new 'web-api' which IS being developed and allows for the newer features we see on Spotify on Sonos today such as Radio, Mood & Genre playlists etc. Unfortunately Spotify do not support playlist folders on their web-api so you need to direct your frustration at them and not at Sonos.

You also see this limitation in Spotify's own web player at https://play.spotify.com as uses the same api.

I suggest you add 'Kudos' to this thread over at the Spotify community
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Sonos-Playlists-Restore-the-folder-structure-in-the-web-API-so/idc-p/1258658

you can also subscribe to the spotify github page (for developers) where it is noted as an 'Enhancement' request
https://github.com/spotify/web-api/issues/38
Thanks nicka99, will do what you suggested!
I just invested a lot of money in new Sonos equipment as part of a renovation. While configuring my new set up, I spent a lot of time re-organizing my music library into folders in Spotify. I then updated my Sonos equipment and connected my Spotify to it, and like others, can no longer see my folders in Sonos. I can, however, see all of my folders in Spotify. I thought I might have a technical glitch so I googled it and am sooooo disappointed and angry to learn through this thread and others that Spotify folders will no longer work in Sonos. Ridiculous! Why have the system if you can't organize and find the music?!? Sonos and Spotify - you need to fix this ASAP or you are going to quickly lose customers and serious momentum in building your business! Absolutely ridiculous!
Userlevel 2
I want to add my voice to the large, growing number of disappointed Sonos users who lost all of their playlist folders with this new update. Based on how I listen to and search through my music, this sudden lack of functionality has rendered my Sonos eperience totally useless. I was planning to outfit my entire home with Sonos speakers, but now with this neglectful update, which has made listening to my spotify collection impossible, I won't continue to be a user if this playlist folder issue is not addressed and amended. Given all the growing dissatisfaction I have seen in the past 24 hrs, is it safe to assume that Sonos will receive the necessary API from Spotify to avoid losing many of its current and future users?

Any update on FOLDER SUPPORT in SONOS for SPOTIFY? Its a complete disaster what they did, isn't it??
Years of organization within spotify now just playlists spewed all over the new SPOTIFY API within SONOS
So hard to find things now... ugh... dreadful!
It has been established that the problem is located in the Spotify API.

But it is possible to diminish the consequences to the end user:

What if we could create "sonos folders" you already have a thing called "sonos playlists" and in that sonos folders you could alias one or more Spotify playlists...
You could even have the software make a custom folder image with the cover art's of the music inside it.

You shouldn't just acknowledge an error. Bypass it
I have made an huge investment in Sonos equipment throughout my home and have been a long time Spotify user with and extensive library with many multiples of playlists in a large number of folders, all of which have been painstakingly organised over many many hours. The latest update on Sonos which removed access to the Spotify folders has in effect thrown my entire music collection in a large bin bag with the reassurance that everything I want is in there somewhere, I'll just need to look carefully through it. I am astounded that Sonos hasn't responded to rectify this situation as a matter of urgency as I'm sure a large percentage of their client base are Spotify users and therefore suffering this ridiculous situation. Surely in this modern technological age this is just a simple matter of probably quite basic programming. Please Sonos techie's, jump to it, this is not the service I would expect from such an otherwise brilliant company. If nothing is done soon I will have no option to invest in an alternative system.
Since the loss of this functionality was due to Sonos needing to move to a different Spotify API, Sonos cannot "jump" to anything until Spotify updates their API to include this functionality.
https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/support-for-spotify-playlist-folders-4393548/index2.html#post15993328
Several stupid decisions by Sonos:
* New ugly app interface that is not logical to use and doesn't look like anything else.
* Not possible to add custom streaming URLs anymore (for podcasts etc.).
* Spotify playlists folders support removed.

I'm sorry guys. I'm selling my stuff and buying Chromecast Audio instead. It also supports multi-room, and I can use the nice Spotify app instead.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Complaining about this on the forums certainly feels good, it feels good to vent -- but otherwise, it's clearly (to me at least) a complete waste of time. Ultimately, no one is listening because no one cares.

I can't imagine that Sonos worries much about our selling our stuff to others in a secondary market like eBay: It doesn't affect their bottom line. After all, Sonos reviews on Amazon continue to be stellar, and local audio dealers continue to promote Sonos systems as "the final solution" for wireless in-home streaming. Apart from enduring a tiny bit of complaining here on the forums, Sonos as a company has been untouched by any of this.

So what can we do? We can, each one of us, commit to spreading the word. Whatever that means to you. So please, spread the word.

I tried to find ways to make Spotify within Sonos work for awhile, but now I've given up. Nowadays I use Sonos *only* with Pandora. There's a lot of used Spotify equipment out there, so I don't see much point in trying to sell mine. I feel spectacularly ripped off. If you do too -- there's really only one thing to do. Spread the word.
Userlevel 1
Badge
What can you do? Simple open an account on Apple Music which is what I have done. For me the first 3 months are free and the cost thereafter is £9.99 per month in the UK. I am re-building my folders and so far so good. I will keep Spotify going for 2 more months then I will cancel my subscription with them

OK, Apple has a way to go but there is a folder system and their 'For You' selection (where they select music for you based on what you have played) I have found to be excellent. And this has only just their beginning ....

So don't be foolish selling your Sonos system, keep it and go Apple and one day if and when Spotify get their act together you can add them back. And me, I'll then keep both going as the monthly cost/benefit is not significant relative to the cost of the Sonos system.

So if 10 million of you/us do that Spotify will soon change their attitude ......

Now I'll post this on the Spotify forum!
Userlevel 2
I'd suggest to move to Deezer, it's what I did myself. It has the exact same functions and cost as Spotify, more songs in the library and it works perfectly with Sonos (playlists, radio, mix and so on).
Wow, I´m I happy I discovered this flaw? I was just about to invest in multiple new Sonos units, but of course that is totally off now.

How difficult can it be to implement support for folders in Sonos? And how difficult can it be for Sonos to understand the importance of this function? The team that decided it was OK to scrap support for folders should be fired the the company.

Even if the flaw is fixed some time in the future, I can no longer trust Sonos. I mean, what other functionality will suddenly be unsupported next time I upgrade?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Wow, I´m I happy I discovered this flaw? I was just about to invest in multiple new Sonos units, but of course that is totally off now.

How difficult can it be to implement support for folders in Sonos? And how difficult can it be for Sonos to understand the importance of this function? The team that decided it was OK to scrap support for folders should be fired the the company.

Even if the flaw is fixed some time in the future, I can no longer trust Sonos. I mean, what other functionality will suddenly be unsupported next time I upgrade?

As I understand it this is the doing of Spotify not Sonos. Before chucking your baby out with the bath water perhaps you ought to upbraid Spotify for treating you so poorly?

As I understand it this is the doing of Spotify not Sonos. Before chucking your baby out with the bath water perhaps you ought to upbraid Spotify for treating you so poorly?

This is not correct. It i fully possible for Sonos to develop that functionality, but they chose not to.
Loosing Spotify playlist folder support is a terrible downgrade in functionality. Anyone who has invested time organizing their Spotify library must be terribly disappointed in this change. Sonos' goal should be to mirror Spotify functionality as much as possible - not to change/modify/simplify.

Has anyone figured out a workaround? This renders my Sonos system much, much less functional.
It could do with fixing please, as most of my playlists are missing in the Sonos app
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
This is totally down to Spotify to fix, not Sonos. Spotify changed the API that Sonos is using and in their new API they do not support folders.
If you use Spotify's own web player (https://play.spotify.com) you will see exactly the same there so they have inflicted the same limitation on themselves also !

However, Sonos should still apply pressure on Spotify to handle this as it isnt doing their reputation any good and losing them sales. Ive seen comments on the Spotify forum about people ditching their sonos kit and going to Chromecast or other Spotify Connect gear instead.
And have you all given your feedback directly to Spotify? If you're paying Spotify subscribers, and they're gimping your features, you totally should contact them directly as well. Work the problem from both ends.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
And have you all given your feedback directly to Spotify? If you're paying Spotify subscribers, and they're gimping your features, you totally should contact them directly as well. Work the problem from both ends.

yes
What is worse? That the folders are missing or the way Sonos treats their customers?
I wouldn't really know but I think they are very typical for 20th century IT-arrogance.

First: when you state that you enable another service on your platform, you don't cherry-pick what is the most convenient to you but you enable the ENTIRE service or nothing at all.
Second: when you produce a new release you don;t cut back on functionalities.
Third: when such a cutback is unavoidable (e.g. for legal reasons, not because of a blatant display of incompetence of the engineers), you announce this way in advance.
Sonos doesn't seem to care about these essential elements of sustainable business and therewith joins the ranks of companies who treat their customers as mere sources of shareholder value, and not even in a clever way at that. It is not a trustworthy company.
I have only bought one element of the Sonos system so I can easily switch to another. brand. Which I will do.
Badge
One could easily see this as a sneaky move by Spotify to lure customers away from Sonos gear with (paying?) Connect-partners: https://www.spotifygear.com/
As a Swedish programmer, I have been discussing this with others and there's no logical, technical reason why this is omitted in their Web API, especially for so long. It could be a lack of resources or interest for a few months but now it just seems to be a business strategy.. I lay most of the blame on Spotify for sure.

1) Are any other units on the Spotify connect list above capable of folders?
2) Have anyone captured the web traffic of the Spotify application to see how it's getting the folders, their data and so on? Wireshark should be able, but the traffic could be secured and need decrypting first..and what good would it do to decipher it...

Now, I'll see if silly folder renaming is workable..
Badge
Just to gather more support and hopefully make Spotify listen and take notice; https://github.com/spotify/web-api/issues/38 with programmer 'hbraasch' making the somewhat similar post like mine.

I live in the Stockholm area and have at least one person on "the inside", in the financial division, but still, and will try to eek out an explanation or reason for this omission in the coming weeks. Sonos users' deserve better :8
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi everyone, thanks for all the feedback. We've made sure to pass it along to our music services team and the team over at Spotify too. I don't have any updated news regarding the folders being removed from within the playlist field, however, I did want to make sure you all heard that you can now use the Spotify App to control Sonos directly. We enabled Spotify Connect on Sonos with Sonos version 7.0. We even have some players listed on that website you shared above, NirreFirre.