Spotify Missing Playlist Folder Disaster

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

103 replies

I'm not surprised that this thread has degenerated since you made your appearance. You are quite effective at it. I'm trying to think of a label for this posting style but it escapes me.
It degenerated long before I showed up. I believe it started right around the time someone described the loss of folders on a music service as a "disaster". :D

And the posting style you are thinking of is "mockery."
No ur posting style isn't mocking. It won t roll off my tongue....
Userlevel 1
It degenerated long before I showed up. I believe it started right around the time someone described the loss of folders on a music service as a "disaster". :D

And the posting style you are thinking of is "mockery."

Well I am the one who wrote false pretence. Sorry that my English does not meet your expectations. Not everyone has English as their first language. And it saddens me that you ridcicule a wish to get something you think you have paid for. Social consiense have nothing to do with this.

Well I am the one who wrote false pretence. Sorry that my English does not meet your expectations. Not everyone has English as their first language. And it saddens me that you ridcicule a wish to get something you think you have paid for. Social consiense have nothing to do with this.

I'm certainly not ridiculing the wish for folders. One has a right be be upset after losing something they found useful. I'm ridiculing the over the top hyperbole in this thread, likening the cause to a crusade, a call to arms to shotgun reviews, wallpaper social media, etc. Believe me when I say the exaggerated rhetoric does nothing for your cause, in fact it diminishes the sympathy one might render.
Userlevel 1
I want to add my voice to the large, growing number of disappointed Sonos users who lost all of their playlist folders with this new update. Based on how I listen to and search through my music, this sudden lack of functionality has rendered my Sonos eperience totally useless. I was planning to outfit my entire home with Sonos speakers, but now with this neglectful update, which has made listening to my spotify collection impossible, I won't continue to be a user if this playlist folder issue is not addressed and amended. Given all the growing dissatisfaction I have seen in the past 24 hrs, is it safe to assume that Sonos will receive the necessary API from Spotify to avoid losing many of its current and future users?

The only way to get these type of Companies to do something (they have known about for a month, and nothing....) is to get the press to Write about it. Here is a link to the biggest IT-web site in Norway. This is read by almost everyone here, and I hope other newspapers will pick up the story.

http://itavisen.no/2015/11/23/sonos-kunder-raser-etter-spotify-endring/
http://itavisen.no/2015/11/23/sonos-kunder-raser-etter-spotify-endring/
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Let's remember to keep on topic and treat each other like we'd want to be treated here guys. We're not removing any comments but please refrain from attacking each other.

I want to assure you all that we're listening. We've heard you loud and clear and have shared it with our partners too. I'm sure most of you have posted on their forum by now as well, which is great.

Please remember that the Spotify changes were done so that we could meet some very long standing requests for missing Spotify features as well as to update our connection protocols. The integration has needed an update for a while and the changes are largely for the better. If the only way you used Spotify was through playlist folders I appreciate that you disagree, but Spotify on Sonos now is much closer to Spotify's own web player, instead of an entirely different experience. This is a huge change and we're excited to improve it in the future too.

We'll continue to work with Spotify to get the best possible experience on Sonos, but as we don't publish a roadmap or what's currently in the works, we don't have an update for you. We'll let you know if anything changes, but for now there's no news.

Again, please try to keep the community a friendly place for everyone and refrain from enticing other users into unacceptable behavior. Let me know if you have any questions, we're happy to help answer them.
Userlevel 1
Thanks Ryan. It is only natural that people get agitated when there is something they feel passionatly about. Therefore I think the language here is only to be expected, and to be tolerated. Having said that, I can understand that you do not want to publish roadmap of future enhancements. But we are not talking about that here. We are talking about you and Spotify correcting an obvious error and misjudgment of what some people found useful with the product you USED TO HAVE. I cannot see what roadmap of future enhancements has to do with that. Anyway, my lesson from this is that when it comes to sky services like Spotify, you do not get what you expect. You pay for something, but the definition of what you get is entirely up to the supplier (Spotify). And as one of 20 million users, they can choose to do something like this.
Userlevel 2
I really could care less about the new functionality you've added. There are better services, like pandora, for features such as "mood music". Please give us a way to revert to the older version. Or tell us you refuse to consider giving us a downgrade option, and we have to just hope Spotify will update its api.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I really could care less about the new functionality you've added. There are better services, like pandora, for features such as "mood music". Please give us a way to revert to the older version. Or tell us you refuse to consider giving us a downgrade option, and we have to just hope Spotify will update its api.

There is no chance whatsoever of Sonos "giving" you a downgrade option, and even if they did the playlists probably wouldn't work because this debacle is entirely of Spotify's making.
Crying shame.

Got a house full of Sonos speakers of all varieties, 95% used with Spotify. The whole family use playlists and we have 100's....We don't use moods or any of that nonsense.. You know, basic, core functionality. In fact, I have tried moods since not been able to find my own playlists and I won't be doing that again! Shockingly awful)

I was intending to invest in a play bar with the new TV for christmas and swap out a Play 1 for the new 5. However, this debacle has made me change my mind. In fact, I have just cancelled my Spotify premium account and will be putting the Sonos speakers on ebay.

Need to find an alternative - open to all ideas.
I guess my voice may be lost in a forest of complaints, but in case anyone from SONOS is listening, I too am truly stuck without the use of Folders (Collections) on Spotify. Our whole house is linked by a variety of SONOS products including ceiling speakers, portable devices, TVs and outside areas. We have four teenagers in the house and a vast array of (eclectic) music organised on Spotify. We have playlists, embedded within folders, which in turn are organised into collections, from which we can easily select a whole mood or genre of music; or at least we could. Now we have to make individual selections, which is awkward and tiresome. I have not seen an adequate response to show me what is planned to resolve this problem, which I understand is due to an API issue. I can accept a short delay, whilst this matter is resolved, but I request prompt and clear communication on the resolution.

My investment in SONOS cost many thousands of pounds and I cannot simply switch out from this product. Until now I have been an advocate of the service and successfully encouraged one other person to make a major installation. My goodwill is being eroded and, like others in the forest, my memory is long and unforgiving.

Please keep me on board as a happy customer, in which case I will continue with my positive endorsements. The alternative is easy to work out.

Thanks for listening !
Sonos is great, but I can't use it without spotify folders for reasons already discussed by others. Hopefully they return, as I can only keep duplicating playlists (so they appear at the top) for so long.

Thanks.
Since the current troublesome Sonos update was released, I became aware of this major problem several weeks ago via online feedback from exasperated customers. Despite constant reminders to update my Sonos software, I managed to ignore them and continued to enjoy listening to my saved music in Spotify. Eventually, however, I was forced to update because the app wouldn't open until I relented. Since then it has behaved exactly as I'd feared; I am bitterly disappointed with the sudden dysfunctionality of Spotify within the Sonos app. Finding a particular artist or album within my saved playlists is now a nightmare, and an utter waste of time. Currently I own only one Sonos unit, a Play: 5. However I had intended to extend my system with a Sonos Connect for the living room and Play: 1 for other rooms. Obviously this now calls for serious reconsideration, and I will start to research other alternatives. I don't know whether Spotify or Sonos is to blame, but we pay good money for the both the Spotify service and the Sonos equipment, and I regard it as a serious betrayal of their customers' trust.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I guess my voice may be lost in a forest of complaints, but in case anyone from SONOS is listening, I too am truly stuck without the use of Folders (Collections) on Spotify.

No one's voice is lost here. We're listening and I'll be sure to pass your desire to the right teams. For those new to this topic, if you haven't added your voice to the request over on the Spotify community it's good to do so there as well. Thanks!

Since the current troublesome Sonos update was released, I became aware of this major problem several weeks ago via online feedback from exasperated customers. Despite constant reminders to update my Sonos software, I managed to ignore them and continued to enjoy listening to my saved music in Spotify. Eventually, however, I was forced to update because the app wouldn't open until I relented.

Since we're now using completely new connection commands with Spotify, including a lot of behind the scenes changes on both sides, the old Spotify version isn't able to communicate with the service anymore. Thanks for the feedback and for sharing your frustration. For finding artists and albums you can always search for them (searching the service, not your tracks), but if you're browsing for something in one of your playlists without remembering the name just a search can be hard.
Just wanted to add my extreme disappointment with the missing spotify folders, similar to others posting here. I know a lot of Sonos users and there are a large number of dissatisfied folks over this issue who don't post. I'm surprised you guys haven't yet figured out a fix. Any kind of ETA? Thanks for any info.
Userlevel 3
Badge
My guess is that there will never be a fix. Spotify is the one that has to change it and I doubt they will. There are millions of users on Spotify and I bet this isn't even close to a top priority for them. Personally, I'll keep Sonos and ditch Spotify at some point. If anyone can point me to a service that does what Spotify did with listing my albums/playlists that would be great. Google Music used to do this but they messed up their genres.

I think that these streaming companies are trying to steer us away from playing albums and saving playlists and just the radio function. Or their own playlists.

Steve
The folders from spotify have disappeared for the past two months. Every time i saw an update for the sonos app i thought they wud fix it but its not been fixed. It really sux now using spotify on Sonos. Have to scroll soo much to get to a certain playlist 😞. hope it gets sorted soon 😞
Userlevel 2
I just want to chip in as one of many extremely dissatisfied customers. I have used Sonos for several years, and in total we have 5 Sonos devices in our house.

This downgrade in functionality is seriously destroying our experience. It's a nightmare to find the music that we want to listen to. I really hoped that this was just a glitch that would be corrected fast, but it seems as it's here for at least the foreseeable future. Until the error (yes it is an error) I will not buy futher Sonos equipment nor will I recommend anyone else to do so.

Frankly, I don't care whether the error is the responsibility of Sonos or Spotify. To me, Sonos is responsible. It is the Sonos hardware I buy and it is the Sonos user interface that gives me a bad experience. If I use the native Spotify app on my computer or iPhone the folders do work. But not on Sonos. That you use a different API should not really be visible to your users.

I don't care what it takes: Get it fixed. Now.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
I just want to chip in as one of many extremely dissatisfied customers. I have used Sonos for several years, and in total we have 5 Sonos devices in our house.

This downgrade in functionality is seriously destroying our experience. It's a nightmare to find the music that we want to listen to. I really hoped that this was just a glitch that would be corrected fast, but it seems as it's here for at least the foreseeable future. Until the error (yes it is an error) I will not buy futher Sonos equipment nor will I recommend anyone else to do so.

Frankly, I don't care whether the error is the responsibility of Sonos or Spotify. To me, Sonos is responsible. It is the Sonos hardware I buy and it is the Sonos user interface that gives me a bad experience. If I use the native Spotify app on my computer or iPhone the folders do work. But not on Sonos. That you use a different API should not really be visible to your users.

I don't care what it takes: Get it fixed. Now.

In your position, after an initial letting off steam, I'd focus on what is a practical solution to my problem. I'd suggest one of two options:
(i) either get shut of your Sonos equipment in favor of something that works with Spotify more to your liking;
(ii) or get shut of Spotify in favour of something that integrates with Sonos more to your liking.

So, trade off the lesser of two evils: that of swapping out your 5 Sonos devices or ditching your existing Spotify commitment, choosing whichever provides your preferred cost/hassle combination.

Moaning over. Job done.
coming in a bit late into this, but does this also relate to that under "My Music" i ONLY see playlist and songs option, i seem to be missing Albums , Artists ....
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
coming in a bit late into this, but does this also relate to that under "My Music" i ONLY see playlist and songs option, i seem to be missing Albums , Artists ....
Hi Ruf,

It's absolutely related, we're using the Spotify Web API which didn't have fields for Albums or Artists within Your Music. They just recently updated it to include Albums, which we've likewise added to the Sonos software. So you should now see Albums listed in there.
I'm one of all extremely dissapointed customers, who have invested in three play:5, one play:3 and two play:1s, and won't hesitate to switch product the second I give up my hope that you will speak to Spotify and fix this. I've made two friends investing in your products as well, but will start working in the opposite way (recommend people NOT buying your product) if this issue isn't fixed.
And while we wait for you to fix this, why dont you add a search function, which only search through your own playlists and not all open ones on spotify.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Its not an ideal solution but, for anyone interested, the new Apple Music integration supports Playlist folders.
However, it doesn't (yet?) support saving anything back to Apple such saving new playlists, adding tracks to playlists or adding to Your Music.
It also has 'Artists' within Your Music 😉