Spotify Missing Playlist Folder Disaster

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

103 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
I agree, thank you Ryan. Taking a different approach:

Ok, let's assume that this is what we get with Spotify on Sonos, let's assume that the folder structure is gone.

If that's the case: Can we have a search function within Sonos that allows us to search our own Spotify playlists, rather than all of Spotify? If I want to find one of my Tchiakovsky albums on a playlist, my chances of finding it using Sonos' search algorithm -- which searches ALL of Spotify (a pointless search particularly given the many transliterations/spellings of the Russian name "Tchaivosky" that are in the index) -- are practically nil.

Please, can we at least use search to search our own playlists, and not have to do our play-list searching by scrolling and scrolling and scrolling? ....
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Please, can we at least use search to search our own playlists, and not have to do our play-list searching by scrolling and scrolling and scrolling? ....

That could be way to work around the missing folders, but there is a bit more in play. We use the search API from Spotify which only has a global playlist search, no set strings for account based searches only. I've passed the suggestion over to our team here, you never know what they might be able to put together for the future.

Right now, universal search goes through all services using the available search terms, so changes would also need to be done there to specify searching just your Spotify playlists. I don't want to speculate too much or brainstorm too far out of control here on something that may not even be possible. But I've shared the idea on to the development team nonetheless, and again, if you haven't shared your feedback on the change with Spotify, I'd recommend doing that as well.

We don't have any plans or news to share right now on Spotify changes for the future, but we appreciate hearing your suggestions.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I'm not hit too hard on this change, but one thing I did notice that is very annoying is that the New Releases section does not seem to update when it is on Spotify. Right now it shows New Releases from two weeks ago. Any insight on this?
I want to register my disappointment with this issue also. I complained on the first day of the update to Sonos, and although they did respond I was disappointed that they then told me to log it on the forums! You shouldn't have to complain about something twice.

I hear what Sonos are saying about the interface - but they've switched interface to enable, in my opinion, some 'nice to haves'. In doing so they've lost very basic functionality which now makes my experience of Sonos very poor - almost to the point where its unusable.

Could you do an optional version downgrade so people who just want to listen to their music actually can do so?! Or if not could you give me a refund on the seven bits of Sonos hardware I have in my house?
Userlevel 1
Badge
Thanks for giving us TruePlay. And while I appreciate how speedy you guys are on the forums - Spotify could take a major cue from you guys - it seems like this issue is a kind of a big deal.

What about a petition? A separate forum page? Could we get a vote on who wants it and some kind of transparency from both parties? A Google Hangout Q&A? Something other than "Sorry. We'll let you know."

There's a car with gullwing doors. I feel like working with one of your music services to add back in a historic favorite shouldn't be impossible.
It is weird enough that there is no folder structure for the Sonos playlists, but in that respect there is at least no change but merely a bad concept that does not seem to change (which I assume would be even easier that the Spotify folders to change). Now when this also happens to the Spotify Playlists, it is of course much worse both since there is a change to what it used to be and also many people use Spotify on other platforms where we build up folder structures for playlists. To me, Sonos is becoming more of a simple concept to make sure that you have some background music than a professional system that allows you to play what you want to here. It is thereby competing more with simple FM kitchen radios than with other multiroom sound systems. I have Sonos in six different rooms and am pretty much locked into this system. But if friends ask me about Sonos, I would really hesitate to answer positively because of all these lacking features to handle playlists in a structured way. Which is a shame, because the sound is great and multiroom feature as such works perfectly with great sync and stability.
Userlevel 3
Can anyone recommend a good alternative to the SONOS system which allows for proper handling of playlist organization in Spotify? I have been dealing with this failure of an update for over a month now and it only continues to irritate. I feel badly for those who have outfitted their entire homes with SONOS equipment only to now have to deal with this ongoing headache. Since we are not being given any clear or concrete answer from SONOS on this matter, I think this thread would benefit from others sharing their positive experience with any viable SONOS competitors.
Userlevel 1
I do not care about the so called ´nice´new features you have introduced. Without the playlist folders in Spotify, the Sonos system is useless for me. Can you please give me instructions of how to do a ´rollback´so that the system works as it used to. Your answers on this forum are for me absolutly incredible. You remove one VITAL feature in order to introduce some rubbish ones. I also work for a company that offers cloud based services. If we were to remove a feature that our customers considered as vital, they would be gone the next day..... This is NOT the way to keep customers, nor to get new ones. Please help!!!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
@ameisler, we completely understand the frustration since the playlist folders were so important to the way you used Spotify previously. You're not alone and we absolutely hear you. When we changed over to use the new Spotify Web API the older servers and connection protocol were set to spin down, and soon all systems will need to connect to Spotify through their new coding. The Spotify servers won't respond to the old API.

There have been a lot of great changes with the new API and this is just the beginning. We'd recommend adding your voice to the request on the Spotify Community around adding code for playlist folders into the web API. We'll pass on the interest too, but it's always great to talk to everyone involved. We'll let everyone know if there's any news, but we haven't any information available publicly right now.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, we'll make sure to share it with the teams.
Userlevel 1
@ameisler, we completely understand the frustration since the playlist folders were so important to the way you used Spotify previously. You're not alone and we absolutely hear you. When we changed over to use the new Spotify Web API the older servers and connection protocol were set to spin down, and soon all systems will need to connect to Spotify through their new coding. The Spotify servers won't respond to the old API.

There have been a lot of great changes with the new API and this is just the beginning. We'd recommend adding your voice to the request on the Spotify Community around adding code for playlist folders into the web API. We'll pass on the interest too, but it's always great to talk to everyone involved. We'll let everyone know if there's any news, but we haven't any information available publicly right now.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, we'll make sure to share it with the teams.
Userlevel 1
it seems to me that Sonos are selling their system under false pretense. When you advertise that you have Spotify integration, you should have some kind of agreement with Spotify that future changes will not lead to a degradation of service. As it is now, you buy something from one company, and when something that is a vital part of what you have bought is removed, you are just asked to complain to another company. The sensible thing to do were if the two companies sorted this out between themselves. I do not know what to do just now. I might throw out my Sonos equipment, OR i might cancel my Spotify subscription. This is a bad sitiuaton BOTH for Sonos and Spotify.
Userlevel 2
Badge
it seems to me that Sonos are selling their system under false pretense. When you advertise that you have Spotify integration, you should have some kind of agreement with Spotify that future changes will not lead to a degradation of service. As it is now, you buy something from one company, and when something that is a vital part of what you have bought is removed, you are just asked to complain to another company. The sensible thing to do were if the two companies sorted this out between themselves. I do not know what to do just now. I might throw out my Sonos equipment, OR i might cancel my Spotify subscription. This is a bad sitiuaton BOTH for Sonos and Spotify.

...and Sonos continues to advertise Spotify integration. With the new PLAY:5, I wonder how many unsuspecting customers will soon discover this problem. And I wonder how many of them will be returning their Sonos equipment because of this problem? I hope, when they do, they make it clear to Sonos that this is a serious limitation in the usability of their product, and that passing the buck to the other company won't do a thing help Sonos' bottom line.
Ryan,

I am late to this discussion, but agree with all the complaints about the new Sonos API which eliminated playlist folders within Sonos's Spotify interface. Eliminating access to Spotify folders was an incredibly dumb decision on Sonos's part which makes the new Sonos interface unusable for many, many Spotfiy users.

I've been a very happy Sonos customer since 2008, and have been an avid Spotify user since 2011.

Whenever friends are over, they gush over my Sonos system and my ability to quickly access and play Spotify playlists. Many, many friends have ended up buying Sonos systems based on an evening at our house listening to Spotify music. If Sonos doesn't bring back the ability to access Spotify folders, I will never again recommend Sonos to a friend.

Over the past 4 years, I've built up over 300 playlists on my Spotify account which are now carefully sorted into folders and subfolders by genre, decade, etc. I use the Sonos Controller CR100 to access to access my playlists, and until yesterday (when I was forced to upgrade the Sonos software on my CR100) my CR100 worked perfectly -- I could very quick scroll through my folders and find the right playlist.

Without access to my folders and subfolders, my 300+ Spotify playlists are now essentially useless on my Sonos system -- it takes forever to find playlist I'm looking for. If Sonos does not remedy this situation soon with an updated user interface that re-enables access to Spotify folders, I will be forced to ditch my Sonos system and purchase a system from another company that permits access to Spotify folders.

I also agree with the sentiment on this forum that Sonos is now making false advertising claims when it claims that Sonos systems seamlessly integrate with the Spotify service.

Alex
Userlevel 2
Badge
I had some friends in for a party last night (Pandora provided the background music). I wanted to play one particular song for a few of them when most of the guests had already left. I'd forgotten the title, but I remembered which Spotify playlist I'd put it in. Can anyone guess how that worked out? I excused myself and tried to find the playlist in my unsearchable, unordered listing of playlists and in the end couldn't find it, not even spending the better part of ten minutes looking.

The incident led to some interesting conversation about customer service in the tech world. One of my friends, an attorney who works for one of the bigger tech companies here in the San Francisco Bay Area, said emphatically that complaints from a few unhappy customers would make little if any difference to Sonos or to Spotify. If Sonos as a company really cared about this, he said, they could be pressuring Spotify itself -- that a disgruntled Sonos would be meaningful in a way that a few complaints on a user forums would make little or no difference. He suggested the following:

Unhappy Sonos customers should start a consumer crusade, particularly meaningful with the introduction of a new product (Play:5) -- not to diss the product or the company per se -- but to do everything we can think of to be sure that unsuspecting future Sonos customers know what they're not getting Spotify integration as they'd been led to believe. He had a few specific suggestions on how to go about this, the main one being: Tell others who are unhappy to spread the word in whatever way(s) they can think of.

So spread the word. We've been screwed, but at least we can do what we can to prevent more people from getting screwed. And at some point, Sonos & Spotify might actually notice and do something substantial about it.
Userlevel 2
Badge
FYI, here is an excerpt from the Amazon listing of the new Play:5s:

"The free Sonos app gathers all your favorite music and streaming services together in one place. Use your smartphone or tablet to quickly find the songs you love on your streaming services or in your own digital library, then choose the rooms where you want to listen and control all the playback settings on a room-by-room basis."
I agree with JMinSF -- a good way to pressure Sonos to fix this problem is by contacting Spotify and threatening to cancel one's Spotify Premium membership if Sonos doesn't fix this problem, and to warn potential Sonos purchasers of this crappy Spotify integration before the buy a Sonos system.

In this spirit, I have just posted the following review to the AMAZON listing for the Sonos Play:5 and every other Sonos product listed on Amazon that I could find:

"Spotify users beware!

Sonos users can no longer access their Spotify playlist folders, and makes it very hard to access one's Spotify playlists.

Sonos's recent software upgrade (5.4) eliminated access to user's Spotify playlist folders. So Sonos users can no longer view their Spotify custom folders, and all Spotify playlists are now listed individually in a random order, which makes it near impossible to browse through one's Spotify folders to find the playlist one is looking for. Many longtime Spotify users have hundreds of playlists sorted into dozens of folders and subfolders -- using Sonos, one can no longer access those folders."
Nothing more silly in this world than someone with First World problems and time on their hands. Were the shifts all filled at the soup kitchen? The battered women's shelter not need a donation this week? :rolleyes:
Nothing more silly in this world than someone with First World problems and time on their hands. Were the shifts all filled at the soup kitchen? The battered women's shelter not need a donation this week? :rolleyes:

Ironic post from the user with close to 9k posts.

@alexmoot I have same complaint- and have done what you suggested and cancelled Spotify. Sonos takes (long) time to fix issues so for me at least moving on is best.
Userlevel 2
Badge

You've got a point there.

Of course, only First World people own Sonos systems to begin with. And writing ANY sorts of posts on the forums (you've posted over 8700 times yourself) is something that only First World people with some time on their hands have the time to do.

Meanwhile, we First World people will, I hope, persist in letting First World companies with First World problems know when they are screwing up.
Social commentary not withstanding, the majority of my posts are to help people who are having problems, or inform people who have questions. If my disappointment with a product ever gets to a level where I contemplate going on a no holds barred internet crusade against the manufacturer, it goes on eBay or in the dumpster. Life is too short to waste time complaining.
Social commentary not withstanding, the majority of my posts are to help people who are having problems, or inform people who have questions. If my disappointment with a product ever gets to a level where I contemplate going on a no holds barred internet crusade against the manufacturer, it goes on eBay or in the dumpster. Life is too short to waste time complaining.

Yet here you are complaining about posters communicating about Sonos on their official forums. On your break at the soup kitchen?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I agree. I'm pretty sure Spotify and Sonos have got the message. what they do with that message is anybody's guess but believe us when we tell you that Sonos absolutely will NOT tell you much time in advance if they do plan to "fix" this issue (or rather persuade Spotify to fix it!!)

Yet here you are complaining about posters communicating about Sonos on their official forums. On your break at the soup kitchen?

Not complaining at all. Complaining would mean I expect something to be rectified, and that is the last thing I expect from an internet crusader with a bee in their bonnet. I'm just making an observation. And you have no idea how I spend my charitable time, though anyone familiar with my postings know I don't usually talk the talk without walking the walk.

Not complaining at all. Complaining would mean I expect something to be rectified, and that is the last thing I expect from an internet crusader with a bee in their bonnet. I'm just making an observation. And you have no idea how I spend my charitable time, though anyone familiar with my postings know I don't usually talk the talk without walking the walk.

My apologies I didn't realize when you called us silly first world problems with time on our hands you were just making a neutral observation and not a complaint about the posts shrouded in observation.

Contrary to your statement I did not suggest you don't engage in charitable work. Thank you for telling us that you walk and talk.
C'mon man. Did you really expect a thread with so much silly overblown hyperbole ("disaster", "crusade", "false pretense") would not suffer a little backlash from folks who may look at the situation with a little less foam at their mouths? I've seen civil rights activists with less fervor. Lol.