Spotify Missing Playlist Folder Disaster

Userlevel 3
I want to add my voice to the large, growing number of disappointed Sonos users who lost all of their playlist folders with this new update. Based on how I listen to and search through my music, this sudden lack of functionality has rendered my Sonos eperience totally useless. I was planning to outfit my entire home with Sonos speakers, but now with this neglectful update, which has made listening to my spotify collection impossible, I won't continue to be a user if this playlist folder issue is not addressed and amended. Given all the growing dissatisfaction I have seen in the past 24 hrs, is it safe to assume that Sonos will receive the necessary API from Spotify to avoid losing many of its current and future users?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

103 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi Brian_C,

Thanks for reaching out, and welcome to the community. We understand the playlist folders is a feature that many Spotify users have enjoyed and it's unfortunate that it's no longer available in the current API with the new architecture we're using with Spotify. We'll pass on the feedback for you, but we don't have any news to share regarding the fate of folders right now.

I'll be moving this thread over to the Music Services board to keep it in the right place.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Thanks Ryan for your reply. I support Brian C totally. Like him I am now faced with an unmanageable list of albums in Sonos that I cannot even put in to alphabetical order. The Playlist Folder is essential as I use it in my main Spotify account to sort out rock, folk blues, artists etc of my own collection and it is still there in that format but seems Sonos cannot now download it. Bad omission indeed.

It is worse for me as I have already invested heavily in Sonos throughout the house as you will see from my account.

It really is ESSENTIAL that between yourselves and Spotify this is rectified urgently, please.

PS Please can you move this post to music services too ..it is my first post and did not see the other board.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks dino642. We'll pass it on for you. The whole thread is moved to the right spot, so you're good there.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Thanks Ryan for your reply. I support Brian C totally. Like him I am now faced with an unmanageable list of albums in Sonos that I cannot even put in to alphabetical order. The Playlist Folder is essential as I use it in my main Spotify account to sort out rock, folk blues, artists etc of my own collection and it is still there in that format but seems Sonos cannot now download it. Bad omission indeed.

It is worse for me as I have already invested heavily in Sonos throughout the house as you will see from my account.

It really is ESSENTIAL that between yourselves and Spotify this is rectified urgently, please.

PS Please can you move this post to music services too ..it is my first post and did not see the other board.

It's not just Spotify, as Tidal has also been broken in the update - Artist are now listed in the order that you favourited them rather than Alphabetically. Whoever thought that was a good idea!!
Userlevel 1
I just implemented the latest update (version 5.5), and like the others in this community found that it was actually a huge downgrade. with respect to Spotify, which my primary music source for my Sonos listening. Now there are stupid icons for Charts, New Releases,Moods which I will never use, and my Spotify folders that I developed over the years are not shown and inaccessible.Terrible, terrible business judgment. What morons at Sonos..Looks like I'll be selling my 9 Play:5 units if this doesn't get fixed soon.

How can I undo the "upgrade"?
Hi

This is a big problem the main route to select music is through spotify playlist folders. This change as for other users makes the whole process of playing music now next to impossible. The oversight of how people organise and select music through folders is fundamental when you have lots of music.

Can sonos report

1 how to revert to the previous version of controller
2 when a fix will be provided to support folders

This is a big oversight and either mean sonos goes or spotiy goes.

paul
Userlevel 2
Since I believe that the more people complain about this issue the more I hope that Sonos will be aware of the disaster it has caused upon many of us.

Just to explan the situation:

Over the years I have carefully set up a structure of playlists in folders and subfolders.

Some examples:

"Compilation" (folder) > (30 sub folders) e.g. "Now That's What i Call Music", "Bravo Hits" etc. > subfolders by decades > playlists by year

Now imagine that there are more than 90 playlists only for the "Now!" series and a similar amount of "Bravo Hits". They are all displayed in one single folder now. And these are only 2 sub folders out of hundreds.

Similar strucure here:
Decade (folder) > (6 sub folders) Best Of 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000s, 2010s etc.) > (10 playlists each) e.g. Best of 2011, 2012, 2013 etc...

The next of my main folders is for the different people in the house which makes sense for the Spotify Family tariff. Everyone has got their favorites organised in sub folders again. Now they are all in this big melting pot, as well, with no-one in the house finding their favorite music anymore.

Another folder is for different moods or situations like dinner, late night, relaxing etc. Playlists organised in these folders are also messed up and can only be found by scrolling through all the lists for half an hour.

Honestly, the Sonos experience has significantly decreased since the update and if anyone knows how to get back to the previous version, please post it. It whole situation is annoying when I think about the 10 Sonos products I have invested in so far.

If it is that easy for Sonos to simply stop any functionality that has already been there, one has to consider rather looking at alternatives that support the Spotify app directly. Otherwise, there will always be a danger that the large investment becomes a much worse experience over night.

Sorry, Sonos, but for the first time I am really disappointed. Especially, because you do not promise to work on and fix this issue in one of the next releases.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I posted this to what seems like a defunct message string. So to repeat here:

I've done everything I can think of: restarting my router, restarting my Sonos bridge, and even setting up a completely new Sonos system (which of course required that I sign in to my Spotify account anew).

Under PLAYLISTS in the Sonos apps, there's an alphabetical listing of all the albums listed in all my Spotify playlists. None of the folders are listed, and none of the playlists are listed. Individual tracks that make up some of my Spotify playlists aren't listed at all. The entire organization of my Spotify music collection is now unavailable to me using my Sonos system.

I wrote a support ticket about this, and the response was "Unfortunately, Sonos is working as designed" -- in other words, tough luck.

I use Sonos pretty exclusively to listen to Spotify, and so now: Over $1000 worth of Sonos equipment, now useless to me.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
@JMinSF, if you log into Spotify through their application is everything sorted correctly? That sounds like extremely strange behavior so if it's only something you're seeing on Sonos I'd recommend giving us a call on our support line: http://www.sonos.com/contact. A technician will take a closer look at your system and can test out a few things. If it's persistent across Sonos and Spotify, than it's something you'd be best working with Spotify regarding.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Thanks Ryan. All my folders and playlists are intact on my Spotify account/apps (both desktop and mobile). I'll double-check what's happening with Sonos when I am able to do so (not until later this week: I'm not in the same place as my Sonos system right now).

Spotify is fine. I use it all the time outside the Sonos system.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks Ryan. All my folders and playlists are intact on my Spotify account/apps (both desktop and mobile). I'll double-check what's happening with Sonos when I am able to do so (not until later this week: I'm not in the same place as my Sonos system right now).

Spotify is fine. I use it all the time outside the Sonos system.

Thanks, let us know how it goes.
I have to add my voice to the frustrated Spotify Users upset over the change in how we listen to our music through Sonos...

I like many above have spent countless hours building playlists and grouping them in folders. To have the folders disappear and literally spit out all of the playlists into one LONGGGGG line of unsorted playlists is a nightmare.

Yes it has forced me to delete and consolidate certain things, but truthfully it has made it a major pain to find the music I want to listen to quickly.

I understand that this change is coming from Spotify's end....but if I can't get the functions I want from my music app through your speakers....that is a major problem that needs to be fixed. The addition of the radio seems to be the big upgrade, but it is not worth the cost of losing the ability to have my music grouped as I have it in SPotify.

This needs to be addressed and fixed going forward for SPotify users to be happy with the recent "upgrade"
Yes, chipping here also. I wont repeat what everyone has said above but add this handy site that another frustrated user set up to clarify the problem: http://bringbackfolders.com/

And also to say that I, like many others, am Spotify first and foremost. SONOS is a system I use to make the most of spotify. If this doesnt get fixed then its SONOS i'll be ditching not spotify. I'm currently looking into updating my home system with Google Chromecast Audio awaiting their multiroom functionality and will probably pocket some savings after selling SONOS devices on eBay.
I have been using Spotify since it was first released long ago in England (where I used to live) before it became available here in the US. So I have many, many years of saved playlists - literally hundreds so folders are vital. Like other users I am so very disappointed in the disappearance of folders within my Sonos system. I very much hope Sonos and Spotify can work together to sort this out.
Userlevel 2
Badge
This is mainly for Ryan, Sonos Staff:

I removed Spotify from the Sonos system for a third time, and re-connected to the Spotify service. This time, my Spotify playlists (but not folders) are all there, but they are in no discernible order. Most of my playlists consist of a single album: mostly I use Spotify to listen to classical music. With classical music, it's not sensible to put a bunch of different albums into one playlist, since each movement ["track"] of a piece of classical music is part of the whole piece and can't be mixed in with the movements from other pieces of classical music. So I'm left with a long list of albums. They're in no discernible order whatsoever, not even alphabetical -- if they were alphabetical, at least I could rename the playlists so I would be able to find the albums I wanted to listen to. With the unordered list: How am I supposed to find some album I want to listen to? Scroll through hundreds until I find it?

Honestly, the news gets worse and worse. What a mess!
With this limitation in functionality, SONOS is no longer a competitive multi-room service provider. Will be looking for better alternatives now.....

What I find very concerning is the SONOS customer information practice: There was no indication of the change ahead of the update, and now SONOS is hiding away, without offering a solution to this serious matter....are the SONOS people really that naive or just tech freaks?

Dear Ryan S (Sonos staff) - do you think moving a thread is the answer?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
With this limitation in functionality, SONOS is no longer a competitive multi-room service provider. Will be looking for better alternatives now.....

What I find very concerning is the SONOS customer information practice: There was no indication of the change ahead of the update, and now SONOS is hiding away, without offering a solution to this serious matter....are the SONOS people really that naive or just tech freaks?

Dear Ryan S (Sonos staff) - do you think moving a thread is the answer?

Hi peterhopp, moving the thread is just a matter of moderation and keeping things orderly. The removed playlist folders have also been discussed at length here in the announcement thread for the Sonos 5.5 update.

There is a adding request thread on the Spotify community under the Live Ideas section specifically for adding playlist folders to their web API (which we're using a version of). You can find that discussion here to add your voice to it as well. I'll pass on your interest to our team too.

Thanks for sharing!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26

I removed Spotify from the Sonos system for a third time, and re-connected to the Spotify service. This time, my Spotify playlists (but not folders) are all there, but they are in no discernible order. Most of my playlists consist of a single album: mostly I use Spotify to listen to classical music. With classical music, it's not sensible to put a bunch of different albums into one playlist, since each movement ["track"] of a piece of classical music is part of the whole piece and can't be mixed in with the movements from other pieces of classical music. So I'm left with a long list of albums. They're in no discernible order whatsoever, not even alphabetical -- if they were alphabetical, at least I could rename the playlists so I would be able to find the albums I wanted to listen to. With the unordered list: How am I supposed to find some album I want to listen to? Scroll through hundreds until I find it?

Thanks for the update, have you had the chance to give us a call on our support line to have a technician take a closer look remotely? The order of your playlists should be exactly as they're arranged in your Spotify software, sans folders. If they're not in that same order, it'd be great to take a closer look with one of us.
I am absolutely mortified. We JUST committed our entire house to a wired Sonos connect system specifically because it allowed us to use the meticulously curated spotify playlist collection I've made over the course of years. Now it's a nearly unusable mess. I understand that it's spotify's API - but Sonos is using it! And spotify's own app still works great. The upgrade is so terribly bad, so unprofessional - if someone had shown me this a few months ago when we were picking our service, I would've laughed in their face -- there's no WAY I'd consider Sonos if this mess was what I saw, only now I'm stuck with it. Disappointment doesn't cover it, this is a punch in the gut, and I'm frankly embarrassed that I trusted Sonos with so much money.
Userlevel 2
Badge

Thanks for the update, have you had the chance to give us a call on our support line to have a technician take a closer look remotely? The order of your playlists should be exactly as they're arranged in your Spotify software, sans folders. If they're not in that same order, it'd be great to take a closer look with one of us.

Hi Ryan, You're right, they're all in the order of the Spotify folders and folders-within-folders and folders-within-folders-within-folders. However, since the folders aren't there, the ordering does me no good at all. It's as if I took everything out of my closets and desk drawers and kitchen and garage and put each item, in the order I took it from its original location, in a huge pile in the middle of the floor: How would I ever find anything in that huge, unwieldy mess?

At this point, more than anything, I wish someone at Sonos would say "Y'know, this truly was a boneheaded move, we had no idea that it would be so inconvenient to so many of our customers. We're very sorry that this happened and we'll do what we can to get it straightened out. You are our customers, you are the most important part of our business and we care about you, we want you to be satisfied." I contacted support at the beginning and the replies boiled down to "sorry, this is the way things are" and "tough luck, we're closing the ticket." From reading the forums on this topic both here and at Spotify, my clear impression is that no one cares or thinks this is a problem... except, of course, your customers. Tough luck indeed.
Yep, I've been a Sonos customer for only a few weeks and this is the first issue I've encountered - if this is indicative of how they deal with customer concerns it does not bode well. Boo.
Userlevel 4
Badge +9
Log in to play.spotify.com click on "Your Music" and see no folders there, it's unfortunataly how the Spotify web api works.

Check also:
https://developer.spotify.com/web-api/working-with-playlists/

"Folders
Folders are not returned through the Web API at the moment, nor can be created using it."

Spotify needs to address this
Yes, the problem is with Spotify's API (and I have already lobbied with them to demand this feature), but that doesn't let Sonos off the hook. If you look at Sonos' advertising, spotify is prominently featured, and there is a strong implication that spotify will work in a way that is comparable/familiar to users of the spotify application. I also spoke at length with a Sonos sales rep PRIOR to buying in, and was assured this would be the case (this was just before the recent abysmal update). The sales reps, at the very least, should not be pretending that spotify will be usable/any good in Sonos if its critical features are not supported in the API. People are investing thousands of dollars in whole-house Sonos systems -- passing the buck the Spotify is at best a weak response and feels like terrible customer support. As user JMinSF stated, if there was even an attempt at an apology or a promise of an investigation into a solution, a lot of us would be less angry.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
At this point, more than anything, I wish someone at Sonos would say "Y'know, this truly was a boneheaded move, we had no idea that it would be so inconvenient to so many of our customers. We're very sorry that this happened and we'll do what we can to get it straightened out. You are our customers, you are the most important part of our business and we care about you, we want you to be satisfied." I contacted support at the beginning and the replies boiled down to "sorry, this is the way things are" and "tough luck, we're closing the ticket." From reading the forums on this topic both here and at Spotify, my clear impression is that no one cares or thinks this is a problem... except, of course, your customers. Tough luck indeed.

That shouldn't have been the message you received from our support team, I'll check in to make sure they've got the right information to share. As you know, this change came as part of a huge shift in the coding we're using for Spotify on Sonos. The goal of course was a better experience than we previously had, and we believe we achieved that. With the new API we were able to add support for Genre and Mood playlists, Your Music (Playlists and Songs), Spotify Radio, and location/time based playlists only for Sonos. These were big requests that we've heard from our community for a while and we couldn't be happier to add support for them on Sonos. We couldn't have added these new features without moving to the new architecture.

Unfortunately, the new API we're using is missing a few features as well, such as the Spotify playlist folders. We absolutely understand that if this was a key feature for you your Spotify experience on Sonos was diminished. We know it's frustrating when a service you use isn't the same anymore, worse yet when there is a missing feature which you put a lot of work into customizing it in the first place.

We’re striving to build the best possible Spotify experience on Sonos and the shift to this API was a major step forward. We’re listening to all of your feedback regarding the lack of playlist folders and we’re continually working with Spotify. There isn't any news to share right now on what the future might hold, but if there's an update we'll let you all know.
Thanks for this, Ryan. It's a long way off from a solution, but I appreciate the tone of helpfulness.