Question

Spotify free working on PC app but not Android

• 28 November 2019
  • 14 replies

So this was working fine up until maybe yesterday or shortly before. I could go to browse on the Android app, select Spotify, and be given some options. Now all I get is a message that says "Your Spotify account doesn't support this action".

I have tried resuthorising the service, removing it and readding it, and reinstalling the app, but no luck. Again, this was working fine until recently. I have recently added Spotify to Google assistant, but I’ve also tried removing it before taking the steps above, and that hasn’t helped. On the Windows app, everything is working still, and I can start music from Spotify free no problem.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks.

14 replies

I’m not certain it would have affected your issues last night, but currently there seem to be issues with Spotify. See the thread in the Announcements area of the forum.

Thanks for pointing that out. Unfortunately I’m still having the issue, even though the Spotify thread is marked resolved. I tried removing and re-adding the service one more time to make sure.

Interesting. 

I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this issue, and either post the number here, or contact Sonos Support to discuss it.

I usually suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available, but are only available Monday through Friday during business hours. Both the Twitter and Facebook support folks are available 24/7.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

Thanks very much for your advice. I’ve submitted the diagnostic and the number is 560484636. I’m also going to contact Sonos to discuss the issue and point them towards this thread.

I’d be interested in what you hear back from them. 
While the community moderators read every thread, I certainly wouldn’t expect Sonos Support to have the time to do so. 

So just to update all who might be interested in this, after going through the usual things with Sonos support (resetting everything) without success, and providing them with a detailed spec of my various devices in my home, one day Spotify free just started working again 😕 I think the errors lasted 2-3 weeks, and it’s now been fine for another 2 weeks.

When I told Sonos that everything was now working with no apparent reason, they responded:

We can see on the diagnostic that the speaker had some minor connection issues to your WiFi and it is possible that it couldn't reach out effectively to Spotify.

However, it is also possible that Spotify itself had issues or was making changes on their end that affected the playback of their free service.

I asked them to elaborate on that, saying there had been no obvious WiFi issues in my home and that everything else about the Sonos device and app were working, so it seems unlikely that anything WiFi related was the reason for this error. And they responded:

The diagnostic showed that the speaker had some spikes on interference that could've affected the connections and, if it happened regularly, it could've triggered a blacklisting on the router.

The overall connection looks fast and strong and it is likely that, although the interference wouldn't help, the issue most likely was a hiccup on the Spotify service.

So I’m afraid that’s it. Most likely an issue on Spotify’s end, but we’ll never know for sure. Haven’t heard of anyone else experiencing that issue but for the time being at least, it seems to have been short-lived.

Badge

Exactly the same issue here, first issue I have had with this. Tried rebooting, reinstalled both Sonos & Spotify apps, just get the same message when attempting to browse on Sonos, help!

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hi everyone. Thanks for the post and raising your concerns with “Your Spotify account doesn't support this action".  on the free spotify service.

It seems that this issue was also being raised on the Spotify forums and without the Sonos players. This concern actually seemed to be rooted to the link between Spotify and a voice service. The message is specifying that a certain action you are trying to perform is not available with the free Spotify.  Some features are only available for customers that operate the premium service.

To test this with Sonos, I would recommend first removing the Spotify service from Sonos:

Settings>Services>Spotify>Remove (If you have multiple Spotify, do this with each.)

Following this, remove the link between Spotify and the voice service if you are operating with it. (Google or Alexa)

Finally, Log Out of the Spotify app and re-add the Spotify service on Sonos (you will be asked to sign in again, that’s the plan.)

Try to manually navigate to Spotify’s service within Sonos and let’s see if you can play from it. 

Badge

Still doesnt work for me, I dont have Spotify as a voice service on Amazon Alexa but did exactly as you suggested other than that, still comes up with “Your Spotify account does not support this action”, very annoying as all was working fine a few days ago. I can still use the Spotify app but much easier to use the Sonos app (& I prefer the Sonos app)

I only have a Sonos play 1 & use Amazon Alexa for voice service to control (but only use that sometimes)

Badge

Tried again when I realised that Spotify is part of the alexa voice service but it still doesnt work for me, I did exactly as instructed. very odd that its been working fine since Spotify free has been added to Sonos but now doesnt. Means I now have to use the Spotify app for browsing (which for me is not as good as the sonos one), any work around?

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Thanks for the added information. 

Would you mind providing a screenshot of this error screen you are receiving? 

Additionally, what exactly are you trying to stream when going into the Spotify service within Sonos? 

I would like to re-create exactly what you are trying to stream on my system with a free Spotify so I can assess if the problem is happening on my end as well. 

Badge

Thanks Adam

I am trying to browse Spotify via Sonos app, worked before up until this week.

Screenshots attached to show music services on Sonos app when I access the "browse" tab & click on the Spotify tab I get the error

Badge

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hey @leedebs  thanks so much for the information.

I think at this point it would be a good idea to move this to live troubleshooting.

I’m going to send you a DM for some information and create a support ticket for this inquiry.