Answered

Spotify family issues with Sonos/Alexa

• 14 September 2018
  • 4 replies

Hi all. I have a sonos one set up, using Alexa to voice control. Spotify is my music service and am using Spotify family with my wife. I have spotify, alexa and sonos apps on my phone. My wife only has the spotify app. Whenever I am out of the house listening to spotify with headphones and she tries to use the Sonos One at home, my music cuts out. Wondering how I can separate her account from mine so we can both listen to different music at the same time?

If the Sonos One is not connected, our spotify apps work as separate accounts and we can listen to different music concurrently.

Hopefully someone can help!
icon

Best answer by Keith N 18 September 2018, 20:22

Hello there, gub. Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community. In this case, it may be a good idea to set up a family account for Spotify. This will allow you both to have separate accounts without "stepping on each other's playlists". Be sure to add the second account to Sonos and your wife will be able to use her account while you can continue to use your own account.

Important to note: When using Amazon Alexa, there can only be one Spotify account associated with the household. Therefore, if your wife is using Alexa to start Spotify playback, she will be using whatever account was set up with Alexa. This means that you will need to choose one as a default.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hello there, gub. Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community. In this case, it may be a good idea to set up a family account for Spotify. This will allow you both to have separate accounts without "stepping on each other's playlists". Be sure to add the second account to Sonos and your wife will be able to use her account while you can continue to use your own account.

Important to note: When using Amazon Alexa, there can only be one Spotify account associated with the household. Therefore, if your wife is using Alexa to start Spotify playback, she will be using whatever account was set up with Alexa. This means that you will need to choose one as a default.
Thanks for the info, Keith. I have a question about your comment, "You will need to choose one as a default": Can you change the Spotify account associated with the Alexa account? Or is it permanently stuck as the Spotify account originally connected with the Alexa account?

If it is possible to change the associated accounts, I assume we'd have to change the Spotify account associated with Alexa through the Alexa settings?
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi, somatic. I'm jumping in here. To answer your questions:
Yes, it can be changed after specified, so no - it will not be stuck permanently. Your assumption is entirely correct, it can be changed in the Alexa settings.
Thanks. Easily changed the Spotify account associated with my Alexa account and now it works great: Alexa plays from the proper Spotify account and there's no conflict between the various Spotify Family accounts.