Spotify Connect & India

• 27 February 2019
  • 52 replies

Spotify has just launched in India; for Spotify Connect to work, is it necessary for Spotify to be added to my music services in Sonos? If yes, when will it be visible for selection under music services in the Sonos app in India?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

52 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It will appear in the Sonos app when Spotify tell Sonos to light it up for Indian users. For that schedule, ask Spotify.
When I hit available devices in the Spotify app, Sonos speakers are seen to be available for selection. When selected, after a brief attempt to connect, the screen reverts to available devices, and music never stops playing on the app/phone.
Is this now still a Spotify action or a Sonos one to add Spotify to music services available for selection? Is adding Spotify in the Sonos app needed for the connection to get established?
I will also ask Spotify, but would like a Sonos response as well.
Also, my Sonos being on Sonosnet isn't a factor, I hope/assume.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Also, my Sonos being on Sonosnet isn't a factor, I hope/assume.
No, it's not a factor.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hey there, Kumar. As you know, the news about Spotify coming to India is pretty recent. From my personal experience, I know that Sonos does not need your Spotify account to be set up for Spotify Connect to work. However, the Sonos system does still need to communicate with Spotify in order for the content to be able to start playback.

In general, Spotify on Sonos is still not supported in India. However, Spotify coming to India does help get that ball rolling. I've since reached out to the team about Spotify in India and Spotify Connect. Whenever we get an update or new information to share on this, we will post an announcement as well as an update here.
I've since reached out to the team about Spotify in India and Spotify Connect. Whenever we get an update or new information to share on this, we will post an announcement as well as an update here.
Thank you for this. A couple of follow ups:
1. I am quite ok to use just Spotify Connect to cast to Sonos, and not use the Sonos controller app to invoke Spotify in the manner I do for Apple Music, with Apple Music a music service option available in the Sonos controller in India. Will this limited use of Spotify via the Spotify Android app be available to me earlier?
2. If I select the highest quality option in the Spotify app on my Android, does this selection apply to Spotify Connect via Sonos? I believe that this option would be 320 kbps.

No, it's not a factor.

Thank you; that is good to know. I have waited for two years for Apple Music to be made castable to Sonos and hopefully Spotify Connect will instead be the solution to using a native app with Sonos speakers.
Kumar - I assume your phone is on the same network as your Sonos when you are trying to use Spotify Connect? It may be worth having another go because I have known Spotify Connect to have its 'moments' when it just doesn't function.
John, yes it is, at home. Sonos is on Sonos net with a Boost wired to the same router that the phone is getting WiFi/Spotify from. And I have tried connecting a few times over the last 24 hours.
I do see my Sonos speakers in the available devices in the Spotify app, but no connection gets established when I click on any. On the other hand, I don't even see my Echo Dots there.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
[Edited] My understanding is that Spotify Connect is not a purely local interaction. It requires a control path up to Spotify's servers, and across to Sonos's servers. It also requires Spotify to be present as a music service in Sonos, because Sonos speakers pull the music directly from Spotify, as usual -- it's not 'cast' from the Spotify device.

If this cloud plumbing is not yet in place between the two service providers, it's not going to work.
SonosNet has nothing to do with the availability of Spotify and Spotify Connect in India. In order to cast via Spotify Connect to Sonos ...

[...] I know that Sonos does not need your Spotify account to be set up for Spotify Connect to work. However, the Sonos system does still need to communicate with Spotify in order for the content to be able to start playback. [...]
... your Spotify account requires authorisation via Sonos Controller first, and my understanding is that Spotify on Sonos isn't available in India at this time.

2. If I select the highest quality option in the Spotify app on my Android, does this selection apply to Spotify Connect via Sonos? I believe that this option would be 320 kbps.
There's no need for that. Spotify Connect casts by default in 320 kbps to Sonos.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
My understanding is that Spotify Connect is not a purely local interaction. It requires a control path up to Spotify's servers, and across to Sonos's servers.
Actually, I'm no longer sure about that control path part. I think the control interactions may indeed be local, but that music is still pulled by the Sonos speaker directly from Spotify, as in the non Spotify Connect case. So, that would require Spotify to be supported by Sonos in India.

There's no need for that. Spotify Connect casts by default in 320 kbps to Sonos.

That is good to know.
As to the rest, I have lobbed the ball to both Sonos and Spotify and I hope they don't just play tennis with it.
When Amazon released the casting feature on Echo, the feature was immediately made available in India; hopefully, doing this for Spotify Connect/Sonos isn't a project that will go in a queue behind Google integration!
Sonos speakers pull the music directly from Spotify, as usual -- it's not 'cast' from the Spotify device.

Is that not the case with all casting? Once initiated, the content is never pulled from the phone, be it Spotify Connect, Amazon, or Google cast.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Sonos speakers pull the music directly from Spotify, as usual -- it's not 'cast' from the Spotify device.

Is that not the case with all casting? Once initiated, the content is never pulled from the phone, be it Spotify Connect, Amazon, or Google cast.

I don't think the term is well defined. There are numerous 'casting' applications that send audio directly from device to speaker. Also, AirPlay casting works this way.
Basically, Spotify Connect on Sonos is 'Direct Control'; meaning the Spotify app acts purely as a 'remote control --> command goes to the speaker/group coordinator --> which fetches the requested content from the source' (i.e. Spotify).
I thought that casting meant taking oneself out of the loop, by definition, and is a term first introduced in this context by Google with Chromecast. I haven't heard it said that Airplay does casting. Not that it really matters...
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I thought that casting meant taking oneself out of the loop, by definition, and is a term first introduced in this context by Google with Chromecast. I haven't heard it said that Airplay does casting. Not that it really matters...
As you say, not that it really matters ... but Google itself describes as 'casting' the use case where audio is sent directly from a device to a Chromecast: https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/6279392?hl=en-GB
But in the use case linked, the device is out of the loop once the casting is done; thereafter the Chromecast device gets the stream directly from the source and the first device can even be powered off.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
But in the use case linked, the device is out of the loop once the casting is done; thereafter the Chromecast device gets the stream directly from the source and the first device can even be powered off.
No, that's not correct.

You're referring to this use case: https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/6279384?hl=en-GB&ref_topic=6279380
So in the first linked use case, the music will stop if the device is powered off?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
So in the first linked use case, the music will stop if the device is powered off?
Yes.
That is new information, so thank you!
Back on the subject, over to Sonos now...
Spotify response, in sending the ball back over the net to Sonos, cut/pasted in quotes below:
"We’d love to help you with this but since they develop their own Spotify app, they’re the ones who can provide you with the best possible support.

On the other hand, Spotify is available through this partnership in all markets where Spotify is available. However, customers may not be able to use these integrations/devices if our partner has not made them available in that market."

Over to Sonos...to make it available in India?

By the way, what is the "own Spotify app" referred to in the quote above?
Spotify response, in sending the ball back over the net to Sonos, cut/pasted in quotes below:
"We’d love to help you with this but since they develop their own Spotify app, they’re the ones who can provide you with the best possible support.

On the other hand, Spotify is available through this partnership in all markets where Spotify is available. However, customers may not be able to use these integrations/devices if our partner has not made them available in that market."

Over to Sonos...to make it available in India?

By the way, what is the "own Spotify app" referred to in the quote above?

The Spotify support obviously have no clue what they are talking about.^^