Answered

Spotify: Browsing through genres not possible anymore

• 14 November 2019
  • 37 replies

Userlevel 3

Dear Sonos team/community,

since one of the more recent Sonos Controller updates, the experience when browsing Spotify through the controller application totally changed.

Since basically the beginning of (Sonos-)time it has been possible to browse the Spotify catalogue for the featured/highlighted playlists which change throughout the day and the thousands of playlists which are available in the different genre sections. E.g. you could go to genres and choose between rock, electronic, mood playlists, rap and many many more.

I used this workflow a lot every day to play exactly the playlists of which genre I want to hear right now.

Now, as mentioned, this experience has entirely changed. As far as I can see in the iOS or Windows controller apps, it’s now only possible to browse though folders with playlists which I either recently listened to or which are recommended by the Spotify algorithm.

Like I said, this breaks a workflow I (and my entire family) was using for quite a few years already. Now I can’t find an option anymore to manually browse the Spotify catalogue as it was possible before.

Can someone maybe issue a statement on whether this is intended behavior which is not going to change anymore or it’s some kind of bug or something?

Thanks in advance for your help!

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 11 December 2019, 18:30

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

37 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@controlavWhy do you keep arguing this point?

“SMAPI” is Sono’s API. Are you claiming that Sono’s API doesn’t support Spotify genres and it’s somehow Spotify’s fault?

Because I am right.

SMAPI is Sonos’ API specification, yes. But they define the API, each music service implements it as they deem fit.

If you want to Browse genres on Spotify, use my Windows app, or SonoPad/SonoPhone on iOS. These apps still use the old Spotify endpoint. More recent official Sonos apps use the newer Spotify endpoint, which does not include genres.

At some point i will update my app for the modern Spotify experience, and will lose that ability.

@controlav Why do you keep arguing this point? Did you need me to write you some sample code that proves that Spotify genres can be walked via their API?

“SMAPI” is Sono’s API. Are you claiming that Sono’s API doesn’t support Spotify genres and it’s somehow Spotify’s fault?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

No, this was a decision by Spotify, not Sonos. Sure, Spotify’s own API exposes Genres, as does the older SMAPI endpoint they exposed, but the newer SMAPI-json endpoint does NOT expose Genres. This was a deliberate decision by Spotify, no question about that.

What is the status of this? I can still easily browse genres through the Spotify desktop application. There is no such option via the Sonos interface. So how exactly is this a Spotify problem?

Please ready my reply directly above yours, which explains clearly why this is a Spotify problem.

Thanks for the reply but you’re misinformed. Spotify’s genres can be read at the “https://api.spotify.com/v1/recommendations/available-genre-seeds” enpoint.  If you take one of those genres and use it as a seed for “ https://api.spotify.com/v1/recommendations” endpoint, then you have the exact functionality that used to exist in the Sonos controller.

This is a design decision by Sonos, not Spotify. So I’ll restate my question: Why was the functionality of a product I purchased reduced?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

What is the status of this? I can still easily browse genres through the Spotify desktop application. There is no such option via the Sonos interface. So how exactly is this a Spotify problem?

Please ready my reply directly above yours, which explains clearly why this is a Spotify problem.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Interesting, I tried my Windows apps and sure enough the old Genre behavior is shown, as it is in SonoPad. However the official Sonos app shows a completely different experience for Spotify, so I did some digging.

Spotify are detecting the version of the Sonos app and showing the new stuff, which people on this thread hate. However 3rd party apps (like mine and SonoPad which behave like “old” Sonos apps) get the older, preferred experience.

TL;DR this is a deliberate change by Spotify and if you don’t like it, use a 3rd party app and/or complain to Spotify.

I totally agree with all that is written above. The solution for me at the moment is to use the iOS app SonoPhone instead - hoping, that Sonos will fix this soon.

Ingo

Badge

Solution is to use the Spotify app & port it to the Sonos player

The sound isn’t the same, but it gets the music playlists you want.

Sonos, please work with Spotify to make this change back to get Genres on the Sonos app.

This is still a responsibility of Spotify, all Sonos does is display what the Spotify service hands them. I don’t think Spotify maintains an official presence on Sonos’ boards, you may want to send them a note directly. 

Huge user experience flaw

How can you possibly think taking away the ability to browse all genres is a positive use experience?

Agreed. I hate this change. I have actually gone back to using the Spotify app and then selecting the speaker on “available devices”. Please change it back!

Userlevel 3

Meanwhile I ended up in unsubscribing Spotify Premium Family and moving to Amazon Music Unlimited. It’s a shame since I was Spotify Premium member for many years already, but in my oppinion it became unusable in combination with Sonos. With Amazon Music, at least a more or less normal browsing experience is still given.

I’ve also found this change extremely annoying. Sonos, please speak to Spotify and fix it!

Note that the data reflected in the Sonos search field is generated by Spotify. Sonos wrote the code that sends the request (what you typed) to Spotify, and Spotify parses the data, sends back a response, and Sonos displays what they receive from Spotify. 

You may want to voice your concerns to Spotify directly. 

I don’t think this is completely true. This change appeared with the latest update, indicating Sonos introduced the change. Other than that the redesign is also showcased here: https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/spotify-free-now-available-on-sonos-with-10-5-1-6832169

I think Sonos must understand that this is a major drawback in usability. While I understand that playlist curation based on listening habits makes sense, just breaking workflows that have been there for years is cruel. At least give us an option to switch back to the old style, please.

I’m someone who usually never complains about updates because they most often make complete sense. But the Spotify experience on Sonos has dramatically degraded because of this change. Even the free Amazon (Prime) Music allows browsing through genres. In the end, if there won’t be any changes to this experience, Spotify will have to suffer though I’m using it for over half a decade already. Because mainly I use my music streaming service together with Sonos! And the removal of all possibilities to browse the Spotify catalogue makes me want to search for a streaming service where it is still possible. This shouldn’t be necessary. Is there really no one at Sonos who selects playlist based on genres in Spotify? I can’t believe this.

I am very disappointed by this backward step. It makes me think about finding another music steaming services. Please can we go back to easy access to genres?

I fully agree. The functionality to choose genres is absolutely crucial so bring it back please. 

Please express this to Spotify. It was not Sonos who removed the feature, it was Spotify. I don’t believe Spotify reps read this forum. 

I will unsubscribe from Spotify if its Browse option does not come back to the Sonos app soon.

The new UI makes it very easy to find the same music you already listen to. But part of the beauty of Spotify was finding new music or, especially, curated playlists to spare me the job of doing it.

Google Play’s Browse option remains excellent.

Agreed!!! 😡

How CAM they even make a change like this? Do they use their own product???

A massive thumbs down to Sonos/ Spotify on latest android controller update. Losing the ability to browse genres is an enor.ous backward step in usability and quality of experience. Could someone from sonos respond to let us know who we should speak to about addressing this please? Sonos and Spotify was a match made in heaven. No more though. Very dossapointed. 

Sonos isn’t going to throw a partner under the bus, but it was Spotify’s doing.  Best to complain to them.

A massive thumbs down to Sonos/ Spotify on latest android controller update. Losing the ability to browse genres is an enor.ous backward step in usability and quality of experience. Could someone from sonos respond to let us know who we should speak to about addressing this please? Sonos and Spotify was a match made in heaven. No more though. Very dossapointed. 

Best to contact Spotify to ask that question, I don’t think they monitor these boards. 

I am very disappointed by this backward step. It makes me think about finding another music steaming services. Please can we go back to easy access to genres?

I agree with all the posts, I can see no benefit in this update. Its ruined great functionality. The only way around this is to follow the steps above as posted by mhayli, it works but it's way too laborious. If this is not reversed then I'll subscribe to another streaming service   

If I was Spotify I wouldn't be happy at all. This may cost them custom  

Actually, it is Spotify who made the changes, not Sonos.  

I agree with all the posts, I can see no benefit in this update. Its ruined great functionality. The only way around this is to follow the steps above as posted by mhayli, it works but it's way too laborious. If this is not reversed then I'll subscribe to another streaming service   

If I was Spotify I wouldn't be happy at all. This may cost them custom