Answered

Spotify: Browsing through genres not possible anymore

• 14 November 2019
  • 37 replies

Userlevel 3

Dear Sonos team/community,

since one of the more recent Sonos Controller updates, the experience when browsing Spotify through the controller application totally changed.

Since basically the beginning of (Sonos-)time it has been possible to browse the Spotify catalogue for the featured/highlighted playlists which change throughout the day and the thousands of playlists which are available in the different genre sections. E.g. you could go to genres and choose between rock, electronic, mood playlists, rap and many many more.

I used this workflow a lot every day to play exactly the playlists of which genre I want to hear right now.

Now, as mentioned, this experience has entirely changed. As far as I can see in the iOS or Windows controller apps, it’s now only possible to browse though folders with playlists which I either recently listened to or which are recommended by the Spotify algorithm.

Like I said, this breaks a workflow I (and my entire family) was using for quite a few years already. Now I can’t find an option anymore to manually browse the Spotify catalogue as it was possible before.

Can someone maybe issue a statement on whether this is intended behavior which is not going to change anymore or it’s some kind of bug or something?

Thanks in advance for your help!

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 11 December 2019, 18:30

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

37 replies

Userlevel 1

Same problem here. Please fix ASAP. 

This is a game changer and would actually give me cause to unsubscribe from Spotify!  Please fix this!  It is still possible to search by genre through the actual Spotify app, so it seems that this change has come from Sonos.

Inconvenient, but you can try searching for names of genres in playlists. For example, go to search, type “Jazz,” and a list of all the Spotify playlists that include “Jazz” SHOULD show up in the search results. Can’t figure out why they made this change, though. 

Note that the data reflected in the Sonos search field is generated by Spotify. Sonos wrote the code that sends the request (what you typed) to Spotify, and Spotify parses the data, sends back a response, and Sonos displays what they receive from Spotify. 

You may want to voice your concerns to Spotify directly. 

Userlevel 2

+1

Userlevel 3

Note that the data reflected in the Sonos search field is generated by Spotify. Sonos wrote the code that sends the request (what you typed) to Spotify, and Spotify parses the data, sends back a response, and Sonos displays what they receive from Spotify. 

I don’t think this is completely true. This change appeared with the latest update, indicating Sonos introduced the change. Other than that the redesign is also showcased here: https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/spotify-free-now-available-on-sonos-with-10-5-1-6832169

I think Sonos must understand that this is a major drawback in usability. While I understand that playlist curation based on listening habits makes sense, just breaking workflows that have been there for years is cruel. At least give us an option to switch back to the old style, please.

I’m someone who usually never complains about updates because they most often make complete sense. But the Spotify experience on Sonos has dramatically degraded because of this change. Even the free Amazon (Prime) Music allows browsing through genres. In the end, if there won’t be any changes to this experience, Spotify will have to suffer though I’m using it for over half a decade already. Because mainly I use my music streaming service together with Sonos! And the removal of all possibilities to browse the Spotify catalogue makes me want to search for a streaming service where it is still possible. This shouldn’t be necessary. Is there really no one at Sonos who selects playlist based on genres in Spotify? I can’t believe this.

The fact that Sonos needs to implement a software update to effect the change does not alter the fact that Spotify decides how the UX Will look and function.

Userlevel 3

While I agree with this proposition, even in an in-app notification today it was stated, that Sonos introduced this change (I won‘t paste the update here since my app Interface is in German).

And while it indeed became much more easy to select playlists one recently listened to, like I said, it got virtually impossible to select anything else.

Agree that this has totally changed how I used to use the Sonos controller, and is very disappointing. I would like the functionality returned.

However, there is a (somewhat laborious) workaround that works on Android and iOS. Doesn't appear to be available on the Windows desktop controller. Through the Sonos controller, select browse, thence Spotify. Top right hand corner has the option to open the Spotify app. Go to search in the Spotify app and all the categories (eg. Genres, decades, moods etc) are there. Select your playlist and play. This will play it on your device. You then need to start it on your Sonos speaker through  'devices available’. If you want to group speakers, you can then do this through the Sonos controller. Alternatively, bypass the Sonos app and control directly from the Spotify app, and select 'devices available’ to listen on your Sonos speaker. 

Not sure how this work around would go if you were trying to play different playlists on different speakers. 

Again, the change is very disappointing, and I believe it has diminished the usability and appeal of Sonos.

Userlevel 1

Totally agree with the above comments. My family made great use of this feature and now it is much more difficult. It would be great to get it back.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Are these Spotify accounts free, or premium? 

From my understanding, the free account heavily limits what you are able to see and search for. 

Userlevel 1

Are these Spotify accounts free, or premium? 

From my understanding, the free account heavily limits what you are able to see and search for. 

Mine is premium.

I agree with all the posts, I can see no benefit in this update. Its ruined great functionality. The only way around this is to follow the steps above as posted by mhayli, it works but it's way too laborious. If this is not reversed then I'll subscribe to another streaming service   

If I was Spotify I wouldn't be happy at all. This may cost them custom  

I agree with all the posts, I can see no benefit in this update. Its ruined great functionality. The only way around this is to follow the steps above as posted by mhayli, it works but it's way too laborious. If this is not reversed then I'll subscribe to another streaming service   

If I was Spotify I wouldn't be happy at all. This may cost them custom  

Actually, it is Spotify who made the changes, not Sonos.  

I am very disappointed by this backward step. It makes me think about finding another music steaming services. Please can we go back to easy access to genres?

Best to contact Spotify to ask that question, I don’t think they monitor these boards. 

A massive thumbs down to Sonos/ Spotify on latest android controller update. Losing the ability to browse genres is an enor.ous backward step in usability and quality of experience. Could someone from sonos respond to let us know who we should speak to about addressing this please? Sonos and Spotify was a match made in heaven. No more though. Very dossapointed. 

A massive thumbs down to Sonos/ Spotify on latest android controller update. Losing the ability to browse genres is an enor.ous backward step in usability and quality of experience. Could someone from sonos respond to let us know who we should speak to about addressing this please? Sonos and Spotify was a match made in heaven. No more though. Very dossapointed. 

Sonos isn’t going to throw a partner under the bus, but it was Spotify’s doing.  Best to complain to them.

Agreed!!! 😡

How CAM they even make a change like this? Do they use their own product???

I will unsubscribe from Spotify if its Browse option does not come back to the Sonos app soon.

The new UI makes it very easy to find the same music you already listen to. But part of the beauty of Spotify was finding new music or, especially, curated playlists to spare me the job of doing it.

Google Play’s Browse option remains excellent.

Please express this to Spotify. It was not Sonos who removed the feature, it was Spotify. I don’t believe Spotify reps read this forum. 

I don’t think this is completely true. This change appeared with the latest update, indicating Sonos introduced the change. Other than that the redesign is also showcased here: https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/spotify-free-now-available-on-sonos-with-10-5-1-6832169

I think Sonos must understand that this is a major drawback in usability. While I understand that playlist curation based on listening habits makes sense, just breaking workflows that have been there for years is cruel. At least give us an option to switch back to the old style, please.

I’m someone who usually never complains about updates because they most often make complete sense. But the Spotify experience on Sonos has dramatically degraded because of this change. Even the free Amazon (Prime) Music allows browsing through genres. In the end, if there won’t be any changes to this experience, Spotify will have to suffer though I’m using it for over half a decade already. Because mainly I use my music streaming service together with Sonos! And the removal of all possibilities to browse the Spotify catalogue makes me want to search for a streaming service where it is still possible. This shouldn’t be necessary. Is there really no one at Sonos who selects playlist based on genres in Spotify? I can’t believe this.

I am very disappointed by this backward step. It makes me think about finding another music steaming services. Please can we go back to easy access to genres?

I fully agree. The functionality to choose genres is absolutely crucial so bring it back please. 

I’ve also found this change extremely annoying. Sonos, please speak to Spotify and fix it!

Userlevel 3

Meanwhile I ended up in unsubscribing Spotify Premium Family and moving to Amazon Music Unlimited. It’s a shame since I was Spotify Premium member for many years already, but in my oppinion it became unusable in combination with Sonos. With Amazon Music, at least a more or less normal browsing experience is still given.

Agreed. I hate this change. I have actually gone back to using the Spotify app and then selecting the speaker on “available devices”. Please change it back!