Question

Spotify app no longer seeing Sonos speakers

• 11 July 2020
  • 5 replies

I recently replaced my wifi access point, and connected Sonos products to it (by temporarily connecting an Ethernet cable to them and then restarting).  Sonos operates as before, but the Spotify app no longer sees the Sonos speakers as devices to use.

I have already tried to reboot everything.

I would like to use the Spotify app directly because the SONOS interface to Spotify does not have any Browse capability.

Spotify app version: iOS 8.5.65.787

SONOS app version:  iOS 12.0.2, build 58178210

I don’t see how to view the firmware version of the SONOS speakers, but they should be up to date.

5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Hi @TomRH,

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community!

I would be more than glad to assist you with this.

If I understand it correctly, it’s the direct control on the Spotify app, wherein the Sonos device(s) are not showing as target speakers(s)?

Here are general guidelines for troubleshooting direct control issues:

Step 1 - Update both apps

• Update the music service (Spotify) app and the Sonos app. Only the latest app versions work with Sonos
  • Please confirm that no updates are available and bot app are using the latest software version.

Step 2 - Ensure that Cloud Connections are active

• In order for Sonos speakers to be discovered, they need to have established network connections.

Step 3 - Confirm the Sonos app displays all rooms

• If the Sonos App can't see the Rooms, the Direct Control App won't work.

Step 4 - Please confirm that the device is on the same network as Sonos

• It’s not uncommon for a mobile device to be streaming off of the cellular network.
  • Connect the device to the correct WiFi and test Direct Control.   

If the above advice doesn’t help, kindly please submit a diagnostic report through the Sonos app, and reply with the confirmation number.

I'd review your system further and it will also help in identifying what's causing the issue.

Let me know how it goes and if you have any other questions or run into any issues, please do not hesitate to reach out.

None of the suggestions resolved the issue, so I submitted support diagnostics with number 359205351.

Hello, I can report that this problem seems to have resolved itself (2 weeks later); I can now see the speakers from Spotify app.

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Hi @TomRH.

Thanks for the response and for the update.

Sorry for the late response but I’m happy to hear that it’s finally working.

Please let me know if you have additional concerns. 

You are always welcome here in the community.

Hi all,

I've been having this same problem as long as I've had my Sonos Speakers (2 years with 2x Play:1)

I can play Spotify thru the Sonos app but not via Windows Desktop App or iOS App. 

I used to be able to fix it by turning off the Sonos speakers and turning them on again. This doesn't work with the latest release of Sonos and Spotify.

It's a really annoying bug - enough to turn me off buying more Sonos products or "smart" speakers".

Here's what I think is happening - 

Spotify updates their apps, on Windows, and IOS. This breaks the Spotify -> Sonos functionality.  Sonos updates its own apps to fix it, it works for a while, then Spotify updates their apps again, and it all breaks again. I've noticed that spotify updates its apps very frequently. Sonos updates its software much less frequently.

This is why the "internet of things" will fail and fail hard.

Individual companies, doing their own thing, not talking to each other, releasing buggy code.

Anyway -

I have found that starting Spotify on a MacOS device (like a Macbook Pro laptop) will show the Sonos speakers under devices. If you play music thru the MacOS device to this Sonos device, Spotify on the other platforms (Windows and IOS) will start to recognise the speakers again.

Hope this helps anyone with this issue.

I also hope Spotify / Sonos fixes this issue properly soon.