Answered

Spotify and Sonos

Badge

How do people generally interact with Spotify and the Sonos App? I’m keen to use the Sonos app as I like the user interface but the biggest issue for me is that it doesn’t have an offline mode in the way Spotify does. So if I start to create all my playlist in the Sonos app using Spotify subscription, but then leave home and want to listen on headphones (without connection) I’d have to go back to Spotify direct which won’t have my saved playlist. This keeps me using Spotify and just using the connect feature to put music to my speakers, but I’d imagine Sonos want to address this. It would also be a reason I would be reluctant to buy any future Sonos headphones. How would you use it on a plane for instance?

icon

Best answer by 106rallye 17 April 2021, 00:09

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I use the Spotify app to make playlists, that I can access through the Sonos app. This way my playlists are the same everywhere.

Badge

thanks. Yes that’s what I’m doing at the minute but is your only way to connect to the speakers through the Spotify connect feature?  In other words your don’t use the Sonos app much. 

Makes it tricker if you want to group speakers as the Spotify app can’t do this alone and you then need to switch between apps. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

No, what I am saying is I do use the Sonos app to play my Spotify playlists. I only use the Spotify app in my car and to makethe playlists,

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

I am the same as @106rallye 

Badge

How do you access Spotify playlists through the Sonos app? Can you  access Spotify user uploaded playlists? Also if you are playing through Sonos and want to like a song, where does that go? 

I much prefer to use the Spotify app that is better featured; I use the Sonos app only when I want to group rooms.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@Londonbound You can add Spotify as a music service in the Sonos app; https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1153

Not sure if you can like songs and where they go - I do not do that.

Badge

@Kumar - that’s what I also do but I wondered whether the playback was just as good? Like to get the best treble, bass etc it is best to play through Sonos direct as all the tech is in it’s app? Not sure…. as you are essentially just streaming music to the speaker rather than Sonos calling it direct. 

thanks @106rallye - I have Spotify linked to the app but all I can get access is to Spotify playlists I created in the Sonos app. Not ones created from Spotify. Also if I follow an artist or save a Spotify created playlist in Spotify this doesn’t appear in my playlists in the Sonos app. Where do you access that? 

LB

@Londonbound there is no relevant to sound quality tech in the apps. In both cases, music is being sourced by the Sonos unit from Spotify servers.

Badge

@Kumar - ah didn’t realise that I thought Spotify would have been sourcing from the severs and sending to Sonos speaker unit. 

@Londonbound see how music continues to play once sent to the target speakers even when the phone is turned off.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@Londonbound In the Sonos app go to the musical note. Then go to Spotify, scroll down and you should see your Spotify playlists.

Badge

@106rallye - see it now - thanks !

Badge

@Kumar will check it out - that’s interesting. 

Badge +3

@Londonbound there is no relevant to sound quality tech in the apps. In both cases, music is being sourced by the Sonos unit from Spotify servers.

I thought playing through either Spotify or Amazon App was worse sound quality because you use Airplay 2 vs. using those same services through SONOS app.