Question

Spotify and my Sonos account, how do they interact?

• 9 February 2018
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12
Since I just recently registered my Sonos account in my Sonos system I've just discovered Spotify Connect and while evaluating this and trying to figure out how the two systems worked I realize I'm quite puzzled by the situation.

If I understand this correctly, anyone with access to my Wifi can now play Spotify premium on my Sonos system. The Spotify registration in Sonos doesn't matter. Is this correct?

Also, what is the actual purpose of the Sonos account required for Spotify Connect? Just out of curiousity I registered with another e-mail in Sonos and as far as I could tell it had no impact on Spotify Connect at all. Actually, as far as I could see that account has no impact whatsoever on my system. Or is there any aspect of the system functionality that is affected by which Sonos account I use?

And finally, now with Spotify Connect in action, does the Sonos App/Controller make any difference as long as I use Spotify Connect? I noticed Spotify can kick any listener out from a speaker in Sonos so there's no superuser status or anything like that? I noticed combining zones and settings like EQ requires the Sonos App but for ordinary playback actions I really don't need it do I?

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12
Nobody who knows the relation between the Sonos account and the Spotify account and if there's actually any real functionality linked to my Sonos account?
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
Hi T-S,

Spotify Connect was added with version 7.0 about a year ago. The announcement for it is here with some details. The video and some directions have changed a bit since then though. This page is up to date and I think answers some of the questions you might have.

The account you use to register Sonos doesn't matter for Spotify Connect. There shouldn't be any difference of features or functionality from one email account to another. The Spotify Connect (and other direct control experiences) are designed so that you could have friends or family over, all using their Spotify accounts to play music on your system without having to deal with any unfamiliar software. Your Sonos players become connected with our cloud when they are securely registered, allowing players to be sent some basic play commands that originate from other apps, like the Spotify app.

To link with your system, a device running the Spotify App needs to be on your wireless network and it'll be able to discover your players just like any other Spotify Connect enabled speaker. Once they've connected, the Spotify app will be able to control what's playing even if it gets kicked off the wireless network (this is a Spotify Connect feature not unique to Sonos). To disconnect any Spotify app that previously connected with your system, simply use a Sonos controller to tell your players to play anything other than that Spotify source. Then the only way the Spotify app can connect again is if they get back on your wireless network.

Finally, there are some functions that you'll need the Sonos app for, as you've already discovered, but most all playback functions are available through the Spotify app. Also, services that have a stream limit as to the number of devices that can play from them at the same time will come into play sometimes. For example, if you tell your Spotify app to play on a Sonos player, that counts as a stream. If you tell your Sonos player (using the Sonos app) to play Spotify in a room or group of rooms, that also counts as a stream. Which would be two streams active at one time. The Sonos app can send different songs to different players (ungrouped) with it all being considered one stream, which may be the biggest difference between using the Spotify app to play to Sonos players.

Nobody who knows the relation between the Sonos account and the Spotify account and if there's actually any real functionality linked to my Sonos account?
The TL;DR to the above is, there's no direct relation between the two. Once your players are registered (to any Sonos account), you're all set to use Spotify Connect from any account on your players.

Let me know if you have any other questions here about Spotify and Sonos.
Userlevel 6
Badge +12
Thanks, I believe that covers most of my questions but one, which I have a suspicion I know the answer to too but not for sure.

In an Airplay system (at least Airplay 1) and in a Bluetooth system the one who has started streaming to a speaker is in charge meaning any attempts to kick that stream out of the speaker will fail. In my opinion this is much better than the Spotify Connect solution where anyone, including my neighbours children who from time to time may use my wifi, can kick out the connected player. Is there any way to gain some master control with Spotify Connect and Sonos other than start changing wifi passwords?
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
Good question, and you're correct in your suspicions I think. There isn't an ability to do that today, but I'll add your interest to the request with the right teams.
Userlevel 6
Badge +12
In my opinion, for a serious music system, it's not acceptable that I can never now when my music will be interrupted.
There should be some kind of priority for the player "first in line", much like a printer queue.