Sorting the order of music services

• 26 September 2020
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

As a user of the Sonos app on the iPhone I would like to be able to change the order of my services so that I don't have to scroll every time to get to my most used service.

Not sure why this is closed (and why this isn’t implemented yet)… Sorting the order of music services | Sonos Community

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Karl Zachry, thank you for reaching back to the Sonos Community and letting us know about your concern. Let me help you with this one.

Upon checking, the thread was closed due to inactivity. As I have read through the thread, this feature request has been forwarded to the team that handles it. 

I do understand that you want to rearrange the order of music services in the Sonos app on the search results page. What I can do is to follow up on this request. We don't have the timeline on this but you can check our announcements when this feature becomes available. 

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

The Sonos Community is always here to help.

Badge

I, too, am dying for this feature.

Currently, the search on my app is very slow, because (I assume) it searches for the keyword one service at a time, in alphabetical order.

So in my case, it’ll return results almost instantly from Amazon Music - then searches through Audible, Bandcamp, Calm, myTuner Radio, and Plex, before finally getting to Spotify. Obviously none of those services would typically have (sensible) results when searching for tracks and artists, so the end result is that there’s a VERY noticeable delay of literally 6-7 seconds before results from SoundCloud and Spotify finally turn up.

Removing Audible seemed to help somewhat, as their search is generally very slow, even on desktop. But I can’t simply delete all other services just to get Spotify results in a reasonable time.

This is not a nice-to-have. It’s essential.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Use the Desktop Sonos app, or any third party app. They only search one music service at a time, making it much easier and quicker to find things when you have a ton of subscriptions.

Badge

I find the Sonos desktop app (for macOS anyway) incredibly flaky in other ways, where it often takes ages for the effects of clicking a button to actually be represented in the UI, to the whole UI having to reload each time you add one track to the queue. But yes, that’s what I (have to) use when I want to find stuff fast.

And while third-party apps might work better in some cases, I think having to use a third-party app (with third-party privacy policies) should be a requirement to get rather basic functionality like search to work properly.

The last topic on this issue has been posted 3 years ago, how is it possible that the functionality wasn’t implemented in the apps? It seems like a relatively straight forward change to make. If there were a music streaming service called Zeta or something, would you have to scroll down to the bottom of the list every time you want to use it? Makes literally no sense. In my case my Spotify results appear last in the last even though I use Spotify 95%+ of the time.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I think the issue is that most folks only have one or two music services. The number of users like me (with over ten) is very rare.

A simpler fix would be for Sonos to use the nicknames for the list, so you could give a nickname of “A Spotify” to make that show first. No need for some new sorting UX and no code required to propagate the order throughout the system. (In fact I might just do this in my Sonos app).