sort playlists!!!!

• 27 October 2017
  • 14 replies

Why is there still no function to SORT A PLAYLIST or even SORT YOUR MUSIC LIBRARY? This seems like a pretty basic function and I see questions dating back to 4+ years ago on here - Sonos, can you please make this easy fix to your system? Thank you!

14 replies

Sort your music library? Uhhh, isn't that the entire browse feature?
as in "search"? no, i'm not trying to search my music library for a song, i'm trying to change the order that the songs show up in my music library so that when i play from start to finish, i can start with the song i want. certain playlists only show up in order of oldest to newest, and i'd like to be able to start with the newest songs i've downloaded.
No, as in "browse". You cab sort in the browse function by artist, album, genre, composer, etc. Not by date added, no. But you can sort.
Right, so that’s not actually sorting, that is just a different way to look through what music I have. It is listed by category and then alphabetical from A to Z, and I can’t control (I.e. sort) how I view that music, and how it is played on my system.
Then I misinterpreted what you meant by sort. I dare say you probably are not going to get the flexibility you desire.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Right, so that’s not actually sorting, that is just a different way to look through what music I have. It is listed by category and then alphabetical from A to Z, and I can’t control (I.e. sort) how I view that music, and how it is played on my system.

You're taking the Mickey right?

Really are you trying to redefine the word sort all by yourself? jgatie is correct that the browse section ALREADY allows you to view your entire music library SORTED in various ways. Just because it isn't sorted using some form of unspecified sort sequence (Date artist born, how many syllables in composers name plus their parents age --- get my drift?) is NOT the same as claiming what is available isn't sorting. That's just completely ridiculous.

And for what it's worth seeing as Sonos uses tags, over which YOU have TOTAL control, you can use that fact to define your very own "sort" algorithm and apply that to one of the tags (why not use the genre tag) and voila you're sorted! Or why not use the browse by folders and name the folders in such a way that they appear in whichever order you fancy that day?
My god this. Why can’t we sort albums by artist instead of album name in the my Sonos portion of the app? No ones asking to sort by birthday or artist height or whatever ridiculous thing you’re saying. Just want albums sorted by artist. For a thousand dollar system don’t think this is so much to ask.
I agree, why can't you sort a playlist? It encourages me to leave the Sonos app and play straight from the Spotify app. Odd that something so rudementry is missing?

@sonos can you please clarify?
Jeez. Why are people so deliberately argumentative and trying to knock back a perfectly good question. The guy has a playlist that he has created and wants to sort the songs in a different order to how they appear in his playlist. its a simple question and surely its not a difficult function for a company like Sonos to add to their desktop controller.

You can manually drag songs to a different place in your list but for some reason after doing 5 or 6 drags the songs go back to their original position. Clearly a bug. Fix it Sonos.
I think the challenge here would be your statement "surely its not a difficult function for a company like Sonos to add to their desktop controller". None of us have access to the code base, so it's hard for us to know exactly how difficult, or easy it would be. Most of us consider that if a request isn't done within a short period of time, it's likely not to be as easy as we would have thought. The code base for this product goes back to before 2001, so it's probably a little arcane, since it has been mutated and now supports substantially more than when it was originally envisioned.

Thinking about the way the Sonos works, both with their own playlists, and importing other streamers playlists, it might be challenging for the latter to work properly, since the "ownership" of that playlist isn't in the Sonos domain. So I could potentially see that there might be a resulting confusion if some playlists, those that are owned by Sonos, can be operated in the fashion you want, and others, owned by Amazon, Pandora, etc, can't.

Ultimately, the challenge here is in being able to present in an intelligent manner what is in Sonos' purview, and what is sent to Sonos from the streaming company. Since the great majority of sources are streamed music, it seems unlikely that Sonos wants to add confusion by allowing sorting of their own playlists.

And, beyond that, given that Sonos has recently de-prioritized the desktop controllers by removing any of the set up functions, it seems increasingly unlikely that they're interested in adding additional features to it.

From my perspective, it's about sharing information. There's no desire on my part to be "deliberately argumentative".

Note, however, that the last post on this thread was a month ago, and prior to that, a year ago.
If you open the playlist you can sort your music in the queue box. Save the queue you sorted as a new playlist.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
If you open the playlist you can sort your music in the queue box. Save the queue you sorted as a new playlist.

How do you sort the queue, exactly? I know you can drag & drop items around to re-order them, but I'm not seeing any "sort by ..." option.
Apologies; I was answering the following question from the original poster:

-i'm trying to change the order that the songs show up in my music library so that when i play from start to finish, i can start with the song i want.-

It is not an automatic sort, but it was the type of sorting that I came to the page to find, so when I found out how to do that I posted the information. I don't know how to do an automatic sort of what is in the queue.
I would like to see a way to sort a Sonos playlist that i have created by artist, title, album rather than only seeing the playlist in the order that I have added the songs. This is for the simple reason that I tend use the same playlist and have put a lot of songs (2165 to this point) in it and then forget what is there and may have multiple copies of the same song in a playlist and would like to cull those out easily.

I get that this is on me for not being as organized as I could be and perhaps the ability to write this into the software is a little more complicated than I presume, but most graphic interfaces do have the ability to re-sort a list you have created with different parameters.

Anyway, I don't think asking if this is a possibility is beyond the pale. I think it would be a lovely feature.