Soon, can’t play my own music from my ios?!?

Userlevel 2
This is the biggest BS!! Sonos will soon no longer allow me to play my own music. Streaming services only coming soon folks. Sounds like money greed to me. I have been a supporter of sonos since they first came out! I will never again buy a sonos product again, in fact I’m telling all my friends and family and encouraging them to never buy a sonos product. I’m super pissed, that’s a lot of money down the drain for me, cause I don’t “pay” for streaming services l. I just wanted a damn good WiFi speaker that I could have one in each room. To tell you the truth, I’ve been disappointed from the beginning. Sometimes all I want to do is listen to music from YouTube like I do on my Bose mini soundlink, but nope, sonos won’t let me do that. It’s MY damn speaker that I paid money for, and the technology is fully capable of doing so, but money greedy sonos put restrictions to get you to $$ up. I AM SO DISAPPOINTED!! and frankly saddened. I had high hopes for you sonos l, high hopes down the drain.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

30 replies

Userlevel 2
Just had a few more thoughts. If I can’t play what I already own, then why the hell did I even buy a Sonos? I may as well go back to the 80’s with wired speakers that I could actually play whatever the hell I wanted to on. Sonos, your are defeating to goal of progression, somehow you’ve created new technology that digresses from what we already have. Shame on you!!
May I suggest that you peruse the main thread on this, which offers, and discusses many options, ranging from free to not?

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/upcoming-changes-to-on-this-iphone-or-ipad-playback-6826585
This is the biggest BS!! Sonos will soon no longer allow me to play my own music. Streaming services only coming soon folks. Sounds like money greed to me. I have been a supporter of sonos since they first came out! I will never again buy a sonos product again, in fact I’m telling all my friends and family and encouraging them to never buy a sonos product. I’m super pissed, that’s a lot of money down the drain for me, cause I don’t “pay” for streaming services l. I just wanted a damn good WiFi speaker that I could have one in each room. To tell you the truth, I’ve been disappointed from the beginning. Sometimes all I want to do is listen to music from YouTube like I do on my Bose mini soundlink, but nope, sonos won’t let me do that. It’s MY damn speaker that I paid money for, and the technology is fully capable of doing so, but money greedy sonos put restrictions to get you to $$ up. I AM SO DISAPPOINTED!! and frankly saddened. I had high hopes for you sonos l, high hopes down the drain.

1) "Money greedy Sonos" makes no income from music service subscriptions.

2) You can still play your own music, you just can't play it when stored on an iOS device. But you can play it when stored on low or no cost alternatives, like a PC, Plex, or a free Google Play Music account.

3) YouTube Music is now supported on all Sonos devices.

4) If this was just a "money greed" plan to push people to streaming services that Sonos makes no money from, why offer all the alternatives, and why keep the same function on Android devices?
Userlevel 2
Thank you for your reply. I was on a rant...and obviously didn’t think things all the way through. I was unaware that sonos wasn’t taking a cut of the profits from streaming services. Perhaps they are and just keeping it a secret. YouTube music on sonos is only for “paying” premium members. It wouldn’t be hard for them to let you stream regular YouTube like I can with all my Bluetooth speakers. I suppose that sonos is great for some people, but the restrictions placed are just not for me. I don’t have a computer, all I have is my IOS device...and now I can’t play my music off of it. I don’t pay for any music services when there is so much out there that’s free. Severing my connection between a speaker that I paid for and services I want to use is just asinine.
1) Sonos states very publicly that membership in their Music Partners program is free. To surreptitiously be taking payments would constitute false advertising and fraud.

2) This is not Sonos' doing, a change in iOS caused the feature to become unstable. They have tried for much of a year to fix it, but were unable to do so. So it's not like the decision was spontaneous and not labored over beforehand.

3) Sonos prices hold up well, I'm sure you will recover a good portion to put towards a good bluetooth speaker if you decide Sonos is not for you.
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
Dare I suggest:

You could open a FREE account and upload your tracks to Google Play Music.
It wouldn’t be hard for them to let you stream regular YouTube like I can with all my Bluetooth speakers.

Unless Google's policy has changed, they do not allow streaming to any devices that don't have a built in screen. Your bluetooth works because it streams through your phone, and your phone will show the accompanying video. Since Sonos speakers don't have a screen, Google won't stream youtube videos to them directly.

The restrictions aside though, I have no idea whether streaming youtube to a speaker like this would be difficult or simple.
Dare I suggest:

You could open a FREE account and upload your tracks to Google Play Music.

Folks who spent a lot of time uploading personal tracks to Amazon Music only to have that feature dropped will likely be wary about investing any time in uploading to Google Play Music just to have the same thing happen again. "Explore Globally but Store Locally" especially if you invest any effort into creating custom playlists.

I sincerely cannot believe Sonos cannot find a way to stream my locally stored music.

i own plenty of SONOS products and. Also own a Libratone Zipp that streams anything stored (music) on my devices both over Bluetooth Or WiFi. I don’t think Libratone engineers  are any smarter or more capable than the engineers at SONOS.

I don’t know the actual reason, but this is definitely not a Customer centric move.

Userlevel 1

It would take a lot for me to buy another Sonos product. My play3 which is useless now because of this change is not even part of the trade up program. 

It is only useless if you ignore the many other options for playing local content, some of which are free.

Userlevel 1

I feel like you are missing the whole point. Who wants to jump through 3 hoops to play music on the thing. It used to be great. Now I’d prefer some crappy Bluetooth speak that I can connect to without hassles

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I feel like you are missing the whole point. Who wants to jump through 3 hoops to play music on the thing. It used to be great. Now I’d prefer some crappy Bluetooth speak that I can connect to without hassles

if you’re really that annoyed then take it up with Apple. Sonos are not the only company that has been affected by their policy. At least Sonos provide options. 

But if you prefer crappy bt speakers then take your choice. There are thousands to satisfy it. 

Badge

I sincerely cannot believe Sonos cannot find a way to stream my locally stored music.

i own plenty of SONOS products and. Also own a Libratone Zipp that streams anything stored (music) on my devices both over Bluetooth Or WiFi. I don’t think Libratone engineers  are any smarter or more capable than the engineers at SONOS.

I don’t know the actual reason, but this is definitely not a Customer centric move.

To stream over WiFi requires AirPlay 2 (or the Google Version, casting). Their newer devices support it, older ones don’t.

Bluetooth-streaming has traditionally not mapped into what they have been doing, providing a multiroom, hiqh quality experience. They have only one speaker that supports this, the Sonos Move.

A valid complaint here is that they continued selling old hardware not supporting Airplay long after it was clear that the hardware was just too old to support something this basic. They are even still selling obsolete hardware without marking it as such - the Playbar.

I’m so disappointed. Whether or not it is Sonos’ fault. I bought speakers for several rooms in my home, in my vacation home and for my sons and friends  I was very proud and supportive of Sonos and would look for more reasons to purchase their products. 
I have had some glitches over time that I was able to get through, because Sonos was unique and I could always play music from my iPhone. It was perfect! 

Now to find out that I can’t do what I purchased the speakers to do is unbelievable. It would be like saying, “We know you love your Sonos speakers, but we now need you to wire them to your phone. Sorry, but we aren’t allowed to use WiFi anymore. We do, however, have some interesting alternatives for you (even though we know you bought Sonos partly because of the ease of set-up)!”

I won’t be purchasing Sonos any longer, unless they miraculously fix it so I can easily play music from my phone. 

I hope you won’t be purchasing any Apple devices, either, since they’re the ones that changed iOS to block the method by which Sonos and other companies were using to access the devices.

Not a very practical suggestion. I do assume Apple is responsible. Too bad Sonos and Apple couldn’t jointly make it work. Apple definitely has the upper hand.

I use all Apple devices- phone, iPad and laptop. Not gonna change that. I wouldn’t change all my Apple devices to accommodate the speakers. But I won’t buy more speakers that don’t accommodate my devices. Too bad for Sonos. It is a good product. 

@mjroland1 - But any Sonos speakers you bought from now on would be Airplay 2 compatible. In other words, using the technology designed by Apple to play from Apple devices.  And that would also allow you to play to your existing speakers by grouping.  So either:

1. You never intended to buy more Sonos speakers anyway, so you are just making an idle, pointless threat, or
  2. You were genuinely planning to buy more Sonos but now intend to take the very action that stops you continuing to use your speakers as you wish

Which of those is it please?

No John B, not a pointless threat. Not meant as a threat. Just honestly disappointed and wouldn’t buy more Sonos if it doesn’t work with my IPhone. I don’t think that is too difficult to understand. 

But if you are saying that buying a new Sonos speaker would allow my existing speakers to work in a group, that is constructive and would seem like a pretty good solution. Not perfect but pretty good. 

I will look further into that. 

This may help

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/2922?language=en_US

I continue to use 2 iPads and an iPhone, along with 2 Macs to play all of my music, which I’ve managed with iTunes, and now Music. It all happens to reside on an NAS, but neither Sonos nor Apple cares where it is stored, it all continues to play. Occasionally, I’ll use AirPlay 2 to listen to TuneIn Pro, where I listened to baseball games, or continue to play podcasts using OverCast. Most frequently, my target is a PLAY:5 gen 2, but sometimes I’ll do a Sonos One as a target. I’ve even occasionally sent an AirPlay 2 stream to my Apple TV, which is connected to my TV, which my PLAYBAR is connected to.  No issues, beyond the three times AirPlay 2 failed on my iPads, which rebooting the iPad fixed. Never had to touch my Sonos devices.

Badge

I can’t seem to play the music files I have recently added to my Music Library, but Sonos can find the music files I created some 18 months ago when I got my first speaker. My newly added files are in the same place as the old. Anyone got an idea why this should be? Obviously I added the first lot on iTunes, and the last lot though Music on my Mac, but should that make a difference?

Are you updating the music library after adding the tracks? 

Badge

Hi, thanks for responding - yes I have updated, but I just get the same tracks that I originally had, but no the newly uploaded ones.

I am thinking of moving some files to a new folder, and pointing Sonos at it as an additional address. 

Do you think that would work?

Badge

Whilst it’s a bit of a bummer, don’t blame on Sonos For Apple’s crimes it was Apple who changed the ballpark. 
However there’s a simple work around providing you’ve just one of the new Airplay speakers example a Sonos one. Lets say it’s in the kitchen. You want to play from your ISO device to say your old play;1 in the hall.    
First:- on your ISO device send the music to you your kitchen speaker.  
 Then in the Sonos app group the kitchen speaker and the hall speaker.   Now the hall speaker is working. Then if you don’t want the kitchen speaker on,  turn it’s volume down. 
A bit of a faffing about at first but once you’ve done it the first time  it’s simple and all those old speaker will work. 
The new Sonus speaker acts as a master the old speaker a slave. It might not be the perfect solution but at least those older speakers are working again.