SonosTube App for YouTube - 2017 thread

• 21 January 2017
  • 26 replies

best way to stream YouTube on playbar

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

26 replies

Eh? Chromecast, obviously.
Yes, or Roku or Amazon Fire Stick, or...

SonosTube seems pointless.
How to Stream youtube music on play 1 or other sonos speaker not playbar?

Why is the real question. YouTube infamously pays far less to the artist than any other service. A better idea to support one that supports the artists, don't you think? Lots of those available in the Sonos app. Especially important in this new era of defunding everything to do with the arts. Sad!
Stop spamming the forum. You've been warned numerous times.
I often play live concerts that are on youtube in the background for music. To do this I need to tie up a TV that is connected to one of my sonos amps or playbar. Having the ability to stream the sound from a youtube video to sonos directly from the handheld device would be a game changer for me.
I often play live concerts that are on youtube in the background for music. To do this I need to tie up a TV that is connected to one of my sonos amps or playbar. Having the ability to stream the sound from a youtube video to sonos directly from the handheld device would be a game changer for me.

Separating audio from video is a violation of the YouTube Developers TOS. Since Sonos streams directly from the source, separating audio from video would be exactly what it needs to do. That the spammer who started this thread hacked together a program in violation of the the Developers TOS does not change the fact that a company like Sonos would need permission.
I'm not sure why this keeps coming up as an argument because it's not really an issue of listening to audio on YouTube. I'll explain my need for YouTube on Sonos. When I'm sitting in my hot tub and I want to listen to the play 3s above the tub I'll use Spotify or tune in etc. But I also enjoy sitting watching a movie or some clips and I'd like the sound to also come through those speakers. There's a new app called SonosTube that looks to accomplish this but I've only found it about 20 min ago so I'm not sure if it's all there. Netflix audio direct to the Sonos through the iPad would also be a benefit for the hot tubbing. Going to look at adding a Bluetooth receiver to the line in but that creates a silly work around because my Connect amp is setup for the bathroom speakers so a line in would then mean grouping hot tub with bathroom, then muting the bathroom just to get the play 3s to play Netflix. Not the end of the world but still a pain. Line in on the play 3 would help that which we all know was an easy thing to add. I contemplated using play 5s for this purpose but that seemed a bit excessive for the limited use.
Userlevel 1
We dont care if Sonos streams from source or else . All we want is watch a video from youtube on the tablet, and have the audio on sonos.

I really struggle with this idea of "Separating audio from video" statement: i feel this as the most lazy legal/technical excuse you can find.

Why can i do it via a tv and not a table?
Why can i do it with a simple bluetooth player for 10$ and not a sonos system for +200$?

Legally It is exactly the same, just a bigger screen. And there are apps that cheats this.
This is just a silly technicality that a leader in the industry like sonos need to solve. They need to get to the point of being able to play any sound (youtube, netflix...) coming from any connected device (tablet, phone, tv...) , or i bet you that the first competitor that comes with this will crush them . One of the few reason i chose sonos vs bose is that they have humidity proof speakers, but now start to regret it: bose can play via bluetooth and solves this issue
I really struggle with this idea of "Separating audio from video" statement. I dont care if Sonos streams from source or else. This is just a silly technicality that a leader in the industry like sonos need to solve. All we want is watch a video from youtube on the tablet, and have the audio on sonos. The same thing any 10$ bluetooth player can do. What is their excuse?

Or it's a legal stipulation YouTube specifically put in place in order to protect its lucrative advertising revenue, even in the case of the Google Chromecast Audio, manufactured by the same company which owns YouTube.
Userlevel 1
I really struggle with this idea of "Separating audio from video" statement. I dont care if Sonos streams from source or else. This is just a silly technicality that a leader in the industry like sonos need to solve. All we want is watch a video from youtube on the tablet, and have the audio on sonos. The same thing any 10$ bluetooth player can do. What is their excuse?

Or it's a legal stipulation YouTube specifically put in place in order to protect its lucrative advertising revenue, even in the case of the Google Chromecast Audio, manufactured by the same company which owns YouTube.

Read my new edit. It coudl be, but then sonos need to either find a techinal solution for not sepearting, or sit with youtube and solve it or it will be weaker against any bluetooth speaker

(Its not just chromecast. Apple tv is the same. And i doubt google makes lots of money from chromecast... its more an enabler for other revenues)
Sonos has a myriad of differences between itself and Bluetooth that YouTube support doesn't come close to overcoming, starting with audio quality and flawless multi-room sync. Anecdotal vocalizing in this thread aside, I highly doubt there is a significant market who is looking for a fairly expensive, multi-room, whole home audio system that would reject Sonos simply because they can't stream free music over YouTube. And let's be honest, this YouTube furor all boils down to stingy folks being able to stream free music, and stingy folks are not exactly the target market Sonos is aiming for.
Userlevel 1
Sonos has a myriad of differences between itself and Bluetooth that YouTube support doesn't come close to overcoming, starting with audio quality and flawless multi-room sync. Anecdotal vocalizing in this thread aside, I highly doubt there is a significant market who is looking for a fairly expensive, multi-room, whole home audio system that would reject Sonos simply because they can't stream free music over YouTube. And let's be honest, this YouTube furor all boils down to stingy folks being able to stream free music, and stingy folks are not exactly the target market Sonos is aiming for.

Also. But not only. What about neflix? Same product issue. What about the music i create on my own pc?....
i dont think there is a solid justification....
There is no need for a solid justification. YouTube will not allow it. Period. End of story. Any other answer is rationalizing away the facts.
Userlevel 1
It sounds like when kids say "it is like this because im older than you"
Then its simple. youtube and netflix are jeopardizing sonos success. If sonos doesnt find a solution it will lose part of the business. End of story 🙂
Sigh.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Wanting to stream YouTube to Sonos kit is an obvious use case that many people clearly want to have. It wouldn't be an issue if you could just stream
from your computer or a tablet directly to a Sonos speaker, like AirPlay. But that's still something Sonos don't support.

Some sort of airplay like feature is a must for Sonos imo.
Badge
highly doubt there is a significant market who is looking for a fairly expensive, multi-room, whole home audio system that would reject this... this YouTube furor all boils down to stingy folks being able to stream free music, and stingy folks are not exactly the target market Sonos is aiming for.

There are plenty of people that would want to pay for Sonos if they could stream YouTube straight from a smartphone, simply for convenience, regardless of their individual economic preferences. YouTube as a service is a great equalizer for people who like having access to as many artists at once without paying for multiple music streaming subscriptions. Not to mention people who pay for YouTube Red (so I can skip advertisements), which also comes with YouTube Music (a mobile app that ought to be compatible with Sonos)like Play Music Unlimited. I myself have a projector instead of a TV, so I already have to use a few workarounds just to make Sonos compatible with my home system.

My point is, I should be able to use all my streaming services with Sonos, without limitation. A$600 walled garden is not fair to consumers. It smacks of DRM, which I do not support for any art, much less art I'm paying monthly to access from every other system I own (Bluetooth especially).
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
highly doubt there is a significant market who is looking for a fairly expensive, multi-room, whole home audio system that would reject this... this YouTube furor all boils down to stingy folks being able to stream free music, and stingy folks are not exactly the target market Sonos is aiming for.

There are plenty of people that would want to pay for Sonos if they could stream YouTube straight from a smartphone, simply for convenience, regardless of their individual economic preferences. YouTube as a service is a great equalizer for people who like having access to as many artists at once without paying for multiple music streaming subscriptions. Not to mention people who pay for YouTube Red (so I can skip advertisements), which also comes with YouTube Music (a mobile app that ought to be compatible with Sonos)like Play Music Unlimited. I myself have a projector instead of a TV, so I already have to use a few workarounds just to make Sonos compatible with my home system.

My point is, I should be able to use all my streaming services with Sonos, without limitation. A$600 walled garden is not fair to consumers. It smacks of DRM, which I do not support for any art, much less art I'm paying monthly to access from every other system I own (Bluetooth especially).

If you want YouTube Music available via Sonos then petition YouTube. They can sign up to the Sonos Music Partners and ensure their service is integrated. Nothing to do with Sonos, literally.

Also. But not only. What about neflix? Same product issue.

What about it? Playbar will handle the audio for Netflix just as nicely as it will for YouTube. Just get yourself a smart TV, or an Amazon Fire Stick, or a Roku, or a Google Chrome, any of which will pass the video and audio to your TV, which will in turn pass the audio to your Playbar. What's the issue, again?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Also. But not only. What about neflix? Same product issue.

What about it? Playbar will handle the audio for Netflix just as nicely as it will for YouTube. Just get yourself a smart TV, or an Amazon Fire Stick, or a Roku, or a Google Chrome, any of which will pass the video and audio to your TV, which will in turn pass the audio to your Playbar. What's the issue, again?

Absolument mon brave.

My Humax Freesat PVR has a YouTube and Netflix app. Both feed the greedy Playbar with delicious DD2.0 and DD5.1 in bucket loads.
I have 2 play 5s so I use line in to listen to youtube from my TV to play 5s

later on when I buy the rest of the set I will connect through playbar

Yes, thank you! Thats basically all I do in my garage is stream concerts on YouTube while I workout. I bought a Play3 to get better sound and was surprised to see that it cant do what my cheap $40 blue tooth speaker can do. Going to return ths Sonos and get a better bluetooh speaker instead... 😞

Why is the real question. YouTube infamously pays far less to the artist than any other service. A better idea to support one that supports the artists, don't you think? Lots of those available in the Sonos app. Especially important in this new era of defunding everything to do with the arts. Sad!
okay but you can't find covers and acoustic versions on Spotify. Sometimes people want to listen to different versions and remixes that aren't published, not to mention artists on YouTube that haven't made it Spotify or Apple Music, what about supporting them?
:DSonosTube Android version is released on Google Play Store.:D
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=froniterapp.sonostube