Answered

sonos wont play bbc radio

diagnostic number 813194437

icon

Best answer by bockersjv 24 April 2022, 16:30

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

27 replies

I'm having the same problems! 

I've got a feeling I'll be taking some speakers for recycling soon. And I won't be replacing them with Sonos ones!

I've got a feeling I'll be taking some speakers for recycling soon. And I won't be replacing them with Sonos ones!

Your loss, as BBC radio is playing  fine for me and rhere is probably nothing wrong with Sonos. If you would like to describe the problem you are having, rather than just say 'it is not working' then somebody might be able to help.

BBC Radio is working fine here on S1 software. In the UK, you appear to need a BBC account - it hepled that I could just use my existing one to sign in.

BBC is playing from Sounds here too, either directly via the Sonos app or by asking Alexa. 

It does beg the question as to whether these folks have read the Announcements thread (linked in the big black button on this very page, titled “Important Update to BBC Live Radio Access”, and are still trying to use TuneIn to access the BBC. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Duplicate to Bruce’s comment...

Your loss, as BBC radio is playing  fine for me and rhere is probably nothing wrong with Sonos. If you would like to describe the problem you are having, rather than just say 'it is not working' then somebody might be able to help.

The description of the problem is: It doesn’t work.  There’s no error message, nothing. Hit the ‘Play’ icon and it doesn’t work.  Not sure I can break it down into anything more descriptive!

It’s not just on the system I have at home, which is on S1.  It’s also not working at the office, for any BBC radio station, on S2.

And no, we’re not using TuneIn Radio.

It does beg the question as to whether these folks have read the Announcements thread (linked in the big black button on this very page, titled “Important Update to BBC Live Radio Access”, and are still trying to use TuneIn to access the BBC. 

‘These folks’ haven’t used TuneIn for many years, when it stopped working, and if we had been trying to do so then this thread would be older than 4 days!

BBC radio (all stations) have stopped working on two different Sonos systems that I use, one is S1 and the other is S2.  

Being able to read isn’t my problem.  Not being able to get BBC radio to play on my Sonos systems is!

BBC Radio is working fine here on S1 software. In the UK, you appear to need a BBC account - it hepled that I could just use my existing one to sign in.

I have a BBC account.  Sonos doesn’t ask me to login to it.  It just won’t play when the station is selected. 

Won’t work on the S2 system in the office either.

Works fine on my Echo Dots without having to login to BBC.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

@Kerrianne: Have you followed the steps given in the above-referenced thread? Is BBC Sounds a service that you have added to your Sonos system?

Gosh! Thank you for your sarcastic reply! So very helpful indeed

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

This is a forum of other Sonos users, there are Sonos employees too, so is it too much to ask for more info so we can help? 

BBC removed themselves from Tune in.  BBC produced the SONOS Sounds service for Sonos.  Add that as a music service and be sure to have a BBC Sounds account. log in and it should work a treat.

Any problem come back here with the detail and we’ll try to help.

Mine works through Alexa but not the Sonos App

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Mine works through Alexa but not the Sonos App

Have you added the BBC Sounds Service in the Sonos Music Services?

If not have a read of this:-

It now works. Thank you for your advice 

I’m having the same issue - when I try to add BBC Sounds my Sonos App wants to upgrade software.

By way of background I have 5 speakers - two of which are Sonos 3 - which won’t work if I move the software to S2 so I’m not inclined to do that.

Any thoughts welcome - thanks

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hi @Kerrianne and @blazinskip, are you still having issues with getting BBC Sounds to work?

Presume you’ve seen this? https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/help/questions/listening-on-a-smart-speaker/sonos

making sure your Sonos account is set to UK is important

I’m having the same issue - when I try to add BBC Sounds my Sonos App wants to upgrade software.

By way of background I have 5 speakers - two of which are Sonos 3 - which won’t work if I move the software to S2 so I’m not inclined to do that.

Are you sure it is trying to upgrade to S2? It may just be an update to S1.

But in any case you are wrong about the Play:3s, which are fully compatible with S2.

@blazinskip,

If it helps you, the latest version of the S1 App is v11.4 build 571128060.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

First thought: if your speakers are Play 3’s they are S2 capable, according to https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4786?language=en_US

I can confirm that my PLAY:3s are running S2 currently, and have been since S2 was released.

Thanks everyone - now sorted.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Just to say, I work in the BBC Sounds product team, so if you have any feedback or feature requests for our Sonos integration feel free to leave them here or on twitter using the hashtag #soundsonsonos

Hi @Kerrianne and @blazinskip, are you still having issues with getting BBC Sounds to work?

Presume you’ve seen this? https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/help/questions/listening-on-a-smart-speaker/sonos

making sure your Sonos account is set to UK is important

Great advice, many thanks, at last a straight forward reply that works ! :-) 

I’ve tried to add BBC sounds but I keep getting an error message “Unable to add BBC sounds account”. Any ideas gratefully received.