Sonos will no longer play music from Google Play app.

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

38 replies

I posted this on the Google Play Music forum in response to another post:

"This problem just started for me too. Was there an update to Play Music or Sonos?
I'm running Google play off my Oneplus One with a Mod Android 5.1.1. My setup has been running smoothly for over a year."

The thread is here: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/play/ROzgxXdFPrI;context-place=topicsearchin/play/firstmsgafter$3A24h

More specifics of my problem: While using Google Play Music, I try to connect to my Play 5... it connects and then immediately disconnects. The Sonos app will connect and play my GPM premium account without issues. I can also connect to both of my Chromecasts without problems. Only when trying to cast to Sonos Play 5 via GPM does the issue happen.

I updated the Sonos software AFTER the problem started hoping to fix it. No joy.

Support Diagnostics #: 7700759
I will submit anymore info as requested.

I suspect Google broke something, again.
Hi,
I just started having the same issue yesterday as well. It plays fine from the Sonos app, but I am unable to cast from the GPM app. It Plays a couple of seconds and then stops and disconnects from the sonos speaker.

I went ahead and ran the diagnostic. The confirmation # is 7700763.

Thanks for any assistance. I use this feature daily and it's really bumming me out.
I have the same problem. Started this week. I can play music from google play music in the sonos app, but when I try to cast the music to sonos directly from google play music, the music start for 1 or 2 seconds and then it stops. I hope someone will find a fix for that. Thanks
Same problem started this week. Gpm app with Premium subscription cannot cast to Sonos. It connects and immediately disconnects. The gpm app casts fine to Chromecast devices. I can play gpm music fine through the Sonos app itself. Gpm app was last updated two days ago, which is about the same time this issue began. I uninstalled all updates for the gpm app and it still doesn't work.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Hello everyone, we are still investigating this problem. We are aware of it and working with Google to get it going again. We'll post here again when we have more updates or when we have confirmed it's fixed. In the meantime you should be able to play using the Sonos app.
For me this happens if volume of my Play 3 is zero.
If I then connect from the Google Play App, it always disconnects within seconds.
if I try to raise volume after connecting then it disconnects immediately!
My device is a Google Pixel C with Android 8.0.0 (but I remember having the connection problem also with 7.1.1 Nougat).
Ignore my comment above:
- I'm having this problem with a Play 3 for quite some weeks now and confirmed it today with three different controlling devices with Android versions ranging from Android 6 to 8.
- Attempting to change the volume (with the phone) during the few seconds before unsolicited disconnect tends to have no effect on the Sonos.
- I use a regular Google Music subscription (dunno what you mean with 'premium').
- Activating the 'SonosNet' option from the advanced settings of the Sonos app makes no difference.
- My router provides 2,4 and 5GHz WiFi (with two SSIDs for each). The Sonos app does not indicate which SSID the Sonos connects to, but in the past streaming was no problem with whatever SSID was used with the phones.

Disclaimer: I'm a long term user of Sonos and never enjoyed the music browsing capabilities of the Sonos app (and it's predecessor).
I'm only very glad though since introduction of support for Google Cast since it gives me the freedom to use a great app (not Sonos) for music discovery with great player hardware (Sonos). So I very much hope that supporting the Google Cast protocol is a first class citizen and I look forward to this issue getting resolved soon.

F.y.i.: I just sent you diagnosis 7705345.
Glad to see I'm not going crazy. I just bought a second Play:1 Tuesday night and thought I somehow broke everything! So I'm just throwing my diagnostics into the mix as well: 7705557
Ignore my comment above:
- I'm having this problem with a Play 3 for quite some weeks now and confirmed it today with three different controlling devices with Android versions ranging from Android 6 to 8.
- Attempting to change the volume (with the phone) during the few seconds before unsolicited disconnect tends to have no effect on the Sonos.

It's getting more confusing:
- Since yesterday streaming music from the GPM app did work, including volume control for the smartphone.
I finished by programming the sleep mode on the Sonos app and putting the phone into airplane mode as usual (this is because the sleep timer of the GPM app cannot end streaming if the phone is in airplane mode).
- Then this morning another family member started streaming with GPM from another phone. Which did work BUT not volume control from any phone.
- In this situation the hardware volume buttons on the Play 3 are still working and the phone gives visual feedback of the actual volume of the remote device, while volume control with the smartphone persistently does not work, as said.
The problem seems to be fixed.
GPM casts to sonos ok for me using Samsung galaxy tab 10.1
Maybe it's something to do with using the phone to cast ?
What phone are you using?

I have a Samsung galaxy note 8 that won't stream from Google play music and a Samsung galaxy Tab S2 9.7 inch that will (to the same Sonos system). Both are running Google play music version 8.0.6322-1.W

On the note 8 Google play music just sits there and does nothing after pressing play.

I submitted a diagnostic after the streaming from the not failed: 8001976
Same problem for just connect:amp. Diagnostic 917506917
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Same problem for just connect:amp. Diagnostic 917506917

Hi there,

Sorry for the late response. Are you still having trouble playing Google Play on your Connect:Amp? Which Connect:Amp is having the issue? Send along a new diagnostic report and I'll take a look for you.