Sonos through Spotify ios app 'Can't play right now'

• 12 December 2016
  • 70 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

70 replies

Submitted diag:

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Hi, Bluery, the diagnostic is showing signs of wireless interference which could cause this issue. To troubleshoot you will want to follow the steps in our reducing wireless interference FAQ and let us know how it goes. If the problem persists after those steps, please submit another diagnostic.
Userlevel 1
I am having the same problem and submitted a diagnostic 7241387. Please advise.
I have the same issue. Strangely enough, my wife's Spotify connects ok. This is a fairly recent problem (last 2-3 days). Diagnostics sent: 7248911.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Hey All,

Apologies for the delay. Are you still having issues with Spotify?

I was able to take a deeper look at your diagnostics and have some suggestions to try.

@kingerrj, the data from the diagnostic shows some wireless interference spikes near your Family Room speakers. This can sometimes cause issues with Spotify Connect. I recommend checking out this link on reducing wireless interference.

@60LD3N60053, it looks like there was a minor network communication issue happening in your diagnostic. Please power down your Sonos components and WiFi router for about 30 seconds, and then power them back up again. Give everything a few minutes to come back online and then give Spotify a test.

Please let me know if either of you experience further issues or have other difficulties.
Having this issue as well. 7397180

every now and then the Sonos system just dies for some ppl. We can play via the terrible sonos app, but only some people can connect via spotify, others have the can't play issue.

for us, constantly having to restart the system is, to be frank a shit solution. We installed our sonos system in the ceiling of the office, and climbing up 4 meters to unplug and replug a damn speaker every 2-3 weeks is a pain in the ass.

could you give me one good reason why the sonos app doesn't have to option to reboot connected speakers?
Hello davidstenbeck, thanks for posting the diagnostic.

Your issue would be best looked at in real time. We've set up a support ticket for you, so when you call in, just provide your email address.

Our contact information can be found at this link.
I get "can't play right now" message when trying to play songs that I've imported from iTunes. Those songs & playlists play ok on my iMac, iPad, & iPhone, using Spotify, but they won't connect with my sonos speaker. All other music using Spotify plays ok on the sonos speaker.

What's do I need to do?
submit a system diagnostic and post the number here, a Sonos rep can look at your log files (about 10 minutes worth), and help you.
Diagnostic no. is 7550760. Thanks.
This is happening to me too. I've tried unplugging the Sonos for a couple minutes but it still shows "Can't play this right now" (see attached screenshot).

Diagnostic confirmation number is 7574415.
Here is my report number. 7574509. Just can’t get anything to stream. Have tried multiple resets and my Music Library streams with no problem.
I'm in the same (unfortunate) boat. Diagnostic number 7613025. Thank you.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Hi everyone, we've been a bit slow replying so I'm just going to respond to everyone who's posted recently in one go:

I get "can't play right now" message when trying to play songs that I've imported from iTunes. Those songs & playlists play ok on my iMac, iPad, & iPhone, using Spotify, but they won't connect with my sonos speaker. All other music using Spotify plays ok on the sonos speaker.
What's do I need to do?

Hi mxsonos, this is just a limitation with how the Spotify cloud handles requests from the Sonos cloud. Unfortunately what you have to do is just re-create the playlist entirely in the Spotify app, and the tracks will be accessible.

This is happening to me too. I've tried unplugging the Sonos for a couple minutes but it still shows "Can't play this right now" (see attached screenshot).
Diagnostic confirmation number is 7574415.

It looks like you're on a different wireless network than the Sonos is on. Otherwise there's not too much wrong that I can see there. Restart the router and then join the 'Wee Britain' SSId and try again.

Here is my report number. 7574509. Just can’t get anything to stream. Have tried multiple resets and my Music Library streams with no problem.
You seem to have two DHCP servers active on the network. There is a device on 192.168.1.124 which should be configured, and then the Sonos players all restarted at the power.

I'm in the same (unfortunate) boat. Diagnostic number 7613025. Thank you.
You have a channel mismatch going on between the BRIDGE and the rest of the system. Can you go into the Settings > Advanced Settings > SonosNet Channel menu and set the system to channel 6, and then to channel 11 after that? There may also be a setting on the router or a network configuration blocking the mDNS lookup we use to discover available players. Can you tell us the make and model of your router, and any other network hardware there such as switches, powerline adapters, extenders, wireless access points?
Hi, I have similar problem, nothing worked.
Diagnostic confirmation number: 7690818
Userlevel 2
I have the same problem. I do not even see the speakers in Spotify on my desktop. I see the speakers on my phone but it says cannot connect now. Diagnostic number 7895948
Userlevel 2
Actually, it just starting working so I am not sure what happened.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Actually, it just starting working so I am not sure what happened.
There was an issue with Spotify Connect and Sonos that lasted a little over an hour or so, we got it sorted out. Sorry for the interruption.
Same problem. I powered down, and up again, my play1 and play5. The diagnostic is 7932279
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hello calendula. Thanks for the diagnostic report. Since you submitted this report we have released a couple updates regarding Spotify playback. If you are still experiencing this, reach back out. Reproduce the problem and submit another diagnostic report. I will be more than happy to look into whats happening.

Thanks in advance.
When I try to connect to my Sonos system from Spotify Connect nothing happens. #8106620
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hello there, benfinone. Thanks for the diagnostic report. Looks like you are in need of another update before you can add Spotify. Please check for any updates and let us know if you are still unable to add Spotify. Thanks!
Hello there, benfinone. Thanks for the diagnostic report. Looks like you are in need of another update before you can add Spotify. Please check for any updates and let us know if you are still unable to add Spotify. Thanks!
Updated both Sonos and Spotify. Still doesn’t connect. I choose my Sonos system from Spotify Connect, for a brief second I see it trying to “connect” but then it just reverts back to the device speakers. What’s next?
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Thanks for updating, benfinone. Please submit another diagnostic report and I'll be happy to take another look. Be sure to reply with the confirmation number it gives at the end. Much appreciated.