Sonos through Spotify ios app 'Can't play right now'

• 12 December 2016
  • 70 replies

Userlevel 1
I recently connected Sonos to the Spotify app. It was working fine, streaming via the Spotify app. Now when I go to 'devices' to choose Sonos as my device it just says 'CAN'T PLAY THIS RIGHT NOW'

I've reconnected my spotify account and sonos account but still getting nowhere. Help please!!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

70 replies

Same thing happens to me.
Yup. Lame lame lame. FIX THIS SONOS/SPOTIFY!
Badge
Same Here, iOS. Can't get it to work.
Yep same just started, Android Nexus 6. Everything was working great, love the new connectivity...When it worked. Thanks for finding a quick fix.
Same problem here. Worked really well until a couple of days ago. Now it just says "Can't play right now" (or more correctly "Kan inte spela detta just nu" as I have the Swedish language settings)
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Hi Everyone,

Sorry for the delay. If your Sonos is still, experiencing problems please submit a diagnostic and reply with the confirmation number. Here's an article explaining how: How to Submit Diagnostic
Same issue for me, it never worked. Diagnostic confirmation number 6946623
Same issue here. I can listen to TV on all sonos speakers but can't connect to Spotify. Please help.
Diagnostics: 6948836
Hi Everyone,

Sorry for the delay. If your Sonos is still, experiencing problems please submit a diagnostic and reply with the confirmation number. Here's an article explaining how: How to Submit Diagnostic

Same issue on my end as well, just began today: my diagnostic # is 6958150
Sonos speakers show in devices menu but when selected they fail to connect. This worked well until a week or so ago. I have changed nothing at my end!
Ok I have submitted a diagnostic report number 6958731.
I think I also have this problem - on one of my Play:1s I can play Spotify through Sonos app but not from Spotify Connect via Spotify app (diagnostic 6961040). Spotify Connect can't seem to find the Room. Have tried both Spotify Android app and Spotify on OSX desktop - same. Reloading the apps / power cycling the Play:1 does not seem to help.

[In OSX Spotify sees the Play:1 as an available device but times out when I try to connect. If I hover the cursor over the 'Connecting..' status message it says 'Spotify is not active on this device']

Oddly it appears to work fine on two other Play:1s and a Play:5 stereo pair that I have.
So yesterday evening it started working again (playing via the Spotify iOS app) and I figured whatever bug it was had been resolved. Unfortunately this morning it's giving me the same error message. Any word from Sonos team yet on what's happening?

ETA: I should mention that I cannot play Spotify via the sonos app either. See my diagnostic # up thread.
UPDATE

So in the end I performed a factory reset on the offending Play:1 and then added it back. I can now control playback to this device through the Spotify App.
In case it is relevant. We had a brief power cut yesterday. After which when I tried to play Sonos via the Spotify App - it worked! So maybe the answer is switch everything off and on again! 🙂 Or perhaps just coincidence.
I just encountered the same issue today. Diagnostic # 7022312
me too - 7051888
This is total bummer. Same issue. I bought these things because I expected them to work. Diag code: 7057504
Same, was working perfectly and then today, nothing.

😠
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi folks,

If you're still getting the can't play right now error with Spotify, please submit a fresh diagnostic report, reply with the number and I'll take a look for you.
Thanks Jeff.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Thanks Jeff.

Please reboot each of your Sonos units by removing them from power for ten seconds or so. Once back online, please test things out and let me know how things go.
Hi Jeff - I am having the same issues as the original poster. I tried removing and re-authorizing the Spotify app within Sonos.

I just submitted diagnostics, number is 7152534. I tried powering off individual Sonos devices, but no luck. Please help!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi Jeff - I am having the same issues as the original poster. I tried removing and re-authorizing the Spotify app within Sonos.

I just submitted diagnostics, number is 7152534. I tried powering off individual Sonos devices, but no luck. Please help!

Hi tallzilla,

Please try rebooting each of your Sonos units by removing them from power for ten seconds or so. Once they are back online, try playing through the Spotify app. If that doesn't help, try rebooting the device running the Spotify app.